Schuette Speaks On Mmma

mremre

http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/pnr-news-election-schuette-100410,0,3204549.story

Many local governments are trying to interpret the Medical Marijuana Act of 2008 through zoning and other measures. As a potential attorney general what would you like to see done with the act?

"The statute that passed was poorly crafted, so many loopholes and so many unintended consequences," Schuette said. "When the act was being debated, I was one of the leaders in opposition to that -- along with law enforcement officers across Michigan and the Michigan State Medical society ..."

"Now because it was so poorly crafted, we're seeing huge problems across Michigan, just as law enforcement groups warned," he said.

"The point of the initiative was for the very narrow purpose for those who have a debilitating illness, but the way it has been written it's just an open door to widespread legalization of marijuana and that's been a mistake.

"I'm convinced that eventually the legislature will have to work on adding changes to the law," he said.

Would you support medical marijuana in a commercial setting or compassion clubs?

"No. We can not have dispensaries in a commercial setting. The law does not allow for commercial dispensaries," Schuette said.

"Communities will have to make that decision and the legislature will eventually have to review it."

http://www.petoskeyn...0,3204549.story

Many local governments are trying to interpret the Medical Marijuana Act of 2008 through zoning and other measures. As a potential attorney general what would you like to see done with the act?

"The statute that passed was poorly crafted, so many loopholes and so many unintended consequences," Schuette said. "When the act was being debated, I was one of the leaders in opposition to that -- along with law enforcement officers across Michigan and the Michigan State Medical society ..."

"Now because it was so poorly crafted, we're seeing huge problems across Michigan, just as law enforcement groups warned," he said.

"The point of the initiative was for the very narrow purpose for those who have a debilitating illness, but the way it has been written it's just an open door to widespread legalization of marijuana and that's been a mistake.

"I'm convinced that eventually the legislature will have to work on adding changes to the law," he said.

Would you support medical marijuana in a commercial setting or compassion clubs?

"No. We can not have dispensaries in a commercial setting. The law does not allow for commercial dispensaries," Schuette said.

"Communities will have to make that decision and the legislature will eventually have to review it."

Thanks for the post

we already new about how he felt about MMJ That is why we all need to stand up for are Rights and vote

After reading his responses something jumped out at me, and it is the same thing we have been hearing over and over again.

What loopholes are these prohibitionists talking about? Are they suggesting that the law actually allows more than we suspect? IS that why they are embarking on the terror and intimidation campaigns of the last few months?

It is becoming more and more obvious to me, that the reason for "them" to keep repeating the mantra "The statute that passed was poorly crafted, so many loopholes and so many unintended consequences," can be summed up in his own words "but the way it has been written it's just an open door to widespread legalization of marijuana and that's been a mistake."

They realize that the law does allow for the transfers that we have been claiming are legal under the law. They are afraid that if more people actually realize what IS ALLOWED under the current law, that one of their biggest cash cows will be lost, forever.

I also found it quite ironic that in the question just before those on MMJ, Mr. Schuette says "This is one of the big differences between me and my opponent. I am opposed to it and he is in favor of this 'big spending, big government takeover of the doctor, patient relationship"

Some hypocrisy knows no bounds...

Great post, I get the sense that politicians want to toe the line on the medical marijuana issue. No one takes it head on or has any drastically different viewpoints. They want to appeal to us by not coming out totally against or for it. I don't buy that, the prohibitionists are too strong. Patients rights and privileges are being violated by law enforcement, politicians should be outraged and willing to help settle the injustice. If people were being pulled over and arrested for Tylenol, or CVS was being shut down for criminal activity then the community would be outraged and so too should the politicians. We need to make this a bigger issue then it is, and make sure that the people being elected are going to represent us patients and caregivers fairly.

The law is finely written, well crafted and supports patients and their caregivers.

Always patients first - that is why freedom hating person(s) just love state"it was poorly crafted, leaves too much to interpretation"

No, all it needs is an attorney general who acts in the best interest and will of the people who employ them.

That persons job is to always fault to the positive for the patient in so called "disputes" about what is written.

The law is finely written, well crafted and supports patients and their caregivers.

Always patients first - that is why freedom hating person(s) just love state"it was poorly crafted, leaves too much to interpretation"

No, all it needs is an attorney general who acts in the best interest and will of the people who employ them.

That persons job is to always fault to the positive for the patient in so called "disputes" about what is written.

DT, this is also the reason we need to 'legalize it' , not just for medical use, but also for use by the rest of us if we so choose.

When we do it will take the control of what we choose to do in regards to cannabis out of the 'politicians' hands.

California is probably going to do it this November. The Michigan chapter of NORML is looking at 2012 and I'm 'assuming' that NORML is going to back that ballot proposal.

If we had waited for the 'pols' to do something about 'medical marijuana' we would STILL be waiting and even MORE people would have been arrested.

Until that time we ALL need to come out of that 'comfortable haze' on November 2nd and 'VOTE' !

If we DON'T it could be just a matter of a short time before the anti-MMJ 'pols' begin to take our new law apart.

And when they do it WON'T be in our favor. Bet on it!

Basically, this guy is a corporate tool. Happy to support any corporation's position as long as they contribute to his campaign. He is being sponsored by the same behind the scenes traitor's who supported Bush et al. Look at his campaign contributors! He is the Next Mike Cox

VOTE LEYTON

or suffer

We'll probably still suffer... maybe a little less though.

I'm STILL voting 'Layton' anyway.

Wow! As a fiscally conservative Libertarian Republican leaning voter I say the truth- this guy is a real idiot. :sword:

The law is very well written for the purpose which was to make medical marijuana freely available with minimal medical qualifications to become a patient.

Call it legalization through back door if you want but THAT IS WHAT THE PEOPLE VOTED FOR WHEN THEY PASSED THIS LAW.

This poorly written bad law bullcrap is nothing but an attempt to circumvent the law passed by the people.

Dump this jack donkey.

Hi all,

I haven't checked this board out in a while, but I had written Leyton, Shuette and others running for statewide office as well as my state congressional districts recently.

I emailed them 10/6 asking for help in lighting a fire under DCH to get them to process MMJ cards faster. I've been waiting three months.

Anyway, an aide for Leyton wrote me back quickly. Here's what he wrote:

Clyde--

Thanks for your insight and research into this issue. Obviously, you are passionate about getting this problem (and that's what it is right now) sorted out.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but David Leyton has pledged to clarify the state's processes for administering and enforcing this law. Regardless of his personal stand on the issue, he feels that the people of Michigan overwhelming chose this law to be adopted. Therefore, he feels that the people deserve action to further define the "playbook" that we all must adhere to . . .

And on that note, his rival Bill Schuette fought against the original 2008 proposal and has publicly acknowledged that he would do everything in his power to roll back these laws if he can.

If this issue is important to you, the clear choice for the next attorney general is David Leyton.

Hopefully this allows you a more informed decision on November 2nd. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely

Todd Birmingham

David Leyton for Attorney General

Thank you Mr Leyton.

I just don't understand this guy. In on breath he says the legislature needs to act and change to the law.

In the next he says the law (which he admits needs changing) does not allow dispensaries...

Now I understand....he wants to change it, but not in a way that will help patients and caregivers.

Archived