Did Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper Jump The Gun On Charging Wife With Attorney's Murder?

Did Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper jump the gun on charging wife with attorney's murder?

Published: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 9:41 AM Updated: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 10:36 AM

Aaron Foley | MLive.com

Call it a casaulty of the "CSI" generation. All the evidence pointed to an apparent murder, and it made for a good story worthy of TV.

When Farmington Hills police officers searched Lloyd and Laura Johnson's home when the former died, they found bloody sheets, surgical equipment, human tissue and a dead dog.

Laura Johnson also had a history of mental illness, and Lloyd Johnson was once charged with domestic violence. Laura Johnson was charged with second-degree murder.

"I couldn't make this stuff up," Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper said during the time of the investigation.

Now, those charges may be dropped since a medical examiner determined that Lloyd Johnson died from an old boating injury he never recovered from -- something that wasn't known when Cooper filed suit.

"How do you charge somebody before you have a diagnosis of cause of death? Maybe they know more than I do. Probably. I hope so," forensic pathologist Dr. Werner Spitz told Fox 2 recently.

Was Cooper too hasty in looking to prosecute Laura Johnson? In an editorial in today's Detroit Free Press, Cooper's credibility comes into question.

Freep, Sept. 29: We hope Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper and her subordinates will use the opportunity afforded by that public hearing to answer a few questions: Why did Cooper's office charge Johnson with murder more than 72 hours before (Oakland County medical examiner L.J.) Dragovic (or any other competent medical authority) had determined the cause and manner of her husband's death?...Precisely what evidence, forensic or otherwise, led police and prosecutors to conclude -- erroneously, from all appearances -- that Lloyd Johnson had been the victim of a homicide? And what steps are being taken to prevent a misjudgment of such magnitude from reoccurring?

Laura Johnson missed her husband's funeral while jailed on murder charges. She had explained that she used surgical equipment and the human tissue to care for her husband's old wound. Now, it seems Cooper have some explaining to do.

Meanwhile, commenters over at The Oakland Press are calling for her to step down.

"It’s time for County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper to think about retirement in 2012."

"Was Jessica Cooper's maiden name Fife? Sounds like she was runnin around with her pistol and one bullet while Andy was in Mount Pilot."

"Jessica Cooper & Mike Bouchard need to go on a permanent vacation, move to Crawford, Texas and chop up some mesquite brush with their local village idiot! "

"I hope this woman is the latest in a long line of people who will be winning six and seven figure settlements from Oakland County."

"What's more outrageous is the prosecutor won't admit she erred. She should have done what's right and apologized to this poor woman who missed her husbands funeral because conclusions were jumped to."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/09/did_oakland_county_prosecutor.html

This woman is a crime against humanity!

Thanks for posting this. In Oakland County they make their own laws and play by their own set of rules.

I implore all of us to comment below the article in today's Oakland Press.

Thanks for all you do RevThad

Mizerman

This woman is a crime against humanity!

Thanks for posting this. In Oakland County they make their own laws and play by their own set of rules.

I implore all of us to comment below the article in today's Oakland Press.

Thanks for all you do RevThad

Mizerman

It's all that 'alcohol' they drink.

And it's all done in the name of 'protecting' us.

And what ever happened to the PA in Owasso(?) that while 'drunk' ran a stop sign, nailed another car and got away with it?

I'll bet you a fresh doughnut that he is STILL handing out BS while 'protecting' the public in our courts of law.

Is there any recall process that could force them into a special election before 2012?

I would have to look to see what the process would be, I would think there has to be something that could be done on that front. However, me researching it will be some time, as I am working on another project. If anybody else would care to look up that information it would be greatly appreciated.

I would have to look to see what the process would be, I would think there has to be something that could be done on that front. However, me researching it will be some time, as I am working on another project. If anybody else would care to look up that information it would be greatly appreciated.

This is a great idea and one that should be discussed on tomorrow night's radio show.

Mizerman

Oakland County Sheriff's office has seen asset forfeiture seizures drop from over 4 million in 2008 and a little over a year later? not even 1.5 million. Is there some connection between this fact and the over reaching nature of law enforcement in this particular county? Do we have a rogue county of fascist traitors in our midst?

Dunno, please explain.

Oakland County Sheriff's office has seen asset forfeiture seizures drop from over 4 million in 2008 and a little over a year later? not even 1.5 million. Is there some connection between this fact and the over reaching nature of law enforcement in this particular county? Do we have a rogue county of fascist traitors in our midst?

Dunno, please explain.

The people passed a law. We changed our form of government.

These officials seem to believe the people had no right to do that. What's more they have taken action based on that belief.

Thus the treason kinds of thoughts against these officials. They, by their actions, have made themselves enemies of the people.

Dutch was commenting on the motive for such treasonous actions. Money.

Over 50,000 people (applications to MDCH) can not ALL be wrong.

And it is one HELL of a VOTING block.

And you know if there are 50,000 people out there that made 'application' for a 'card'... there are another 100,000 that want a card but are afraid to step forward.

VOTE!!!

The funny part is Cooper and Bouchard are not up for reelection til 2012 if I remember correctly....

Election season is a high profile time even if they're not up for re-election, they'll do it in support of a partner in crime who is... ;)

Archived