Overturn Medical Marijuana In Michigan?

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/topstories/x1109355169/Governments-to-develop-local-medical-marijuana-law-Witch-hunt-advocates-say

Holland/Grand Haven looking at some crazy laws to battle the current Med law. Please offer constructive comments (logical, not stoner comments) to this article. These people need to see that the world is a little more open than they see it. The more the better.

Thanks

http://www.hollandse...t-advocates-say

Holland/Grand Haven looking at some crazy laws to battle the current Med law. Please offer constructive comments (logical, not stoner comments) to this article. These people need to see that the world is a little more open than they see it. The more the better.

Thanks

I believe ANY new ordinance or law passed by ANY city or township governing body has to be brought before the public for 'hearings' before such ordinances are put into effect by a 'vote' of the 'council, etc.

Often the best and sometimes the only way to have an effect upon what is put into 'law' or passed as an ordinance is to be present at the 'meetings' open to the public and voice an opinion, and hopefully have enough support and backing for your idea to make it 'felt' by the 'council, board, etc.

Another way to have an effect upon the laws and ordinaces passed in your area is to 'VOTE IN' those people that are going to be 'responsive' to your viewpoints.

Also, hopefully if this 'ordinance' is passed in the Holland area, if it goes against the MMM Act it could be 'legally' challenged in court.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

Holland/Grand Haven looking at some crazy laws to battle the current Med law. These people need to see that the world is a little more open than they see it.

In that part of the state? I highly doubt it. I hardly think you could change their outlook with a sledge hammer... To the forehead! :)

I believe ANY new ordinance or law passed by ANY city or township governing body has to be brought before the public for 'hearings' before such ordinances are put into effect by a 'vote' of the 'council, etc.

Often the best and sometimes the only way to have an effect upon what is put into 'law' or passed as an ordinance is to be present at the 'meetings' open to the public and voice an opinion, and hopefully have enough support and backing for your idea to make it 'felt' by the 'council, board, etc.

Another way to have an effect upon the laws and ordinaces passed in your area is to 'VOTE IN' those people that are going to be 'responsive' to your viewpoints.

Also, hopefully if this 'ordinance' is passed in the Holland area, if it goes against the MMM Act it could be 'legally' challenged in court.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

You are 100% correct! There must be a public hearing and at least three readings at three consecutive meetings of the new ordinance / law. If they do not follow this procedure they are in violation of the public act that governs these things. You need to follow this very close because some small towns don't follow the correct procedures and if the procedure is not followed there is no new ordinance / law.

Dizz

I tried to post this there:

Confidentiality is one of the most important issues in the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

It is so important that the writers of this law included criminal penalties for those that violate medical marijuana confidentiality.

It is an odd section of law that lists government employees and officials at every level of government as the only persons that can break this law. Most laws are figured as not applying to officials just doing their job. That is not the case with this one. They are the only ones that can commit this crime.

When a government official, such as a police officer or judge, breaks this law they earn six months in jail.

So the township folks believe they can break this law and not go to jail .. interesting.

It wouldn't let me.

People, you need to calm down and get your detailed facts right, rather than sensationalizing them. The following statements are completely misleading:

Overturn Medical Marijuana In Michigan?

Ottawa County plans to inspect... need comments

OK, I'll give you some comments, do not overreact or create hysteria needlessly. The first statement makes it sound like the entire law can be overturned by developments in the Holland area. This is nonsense.

The second statement makes it sound like Ottawa county officials are calling all the shots, which is simply wrong.

Furthermore, the Sentinel is known to be notorious for getting the facts wrong. So you can never completely trust what they report is 100% accurate.

So please do a better job of reporting the facts than the Sentinel.

If there is anything to worry about it is the possibility of various local entities of government working together to craft an ordinance that is the same for all of them. I have been working with the City of Holland regarding the crafting of an ordinance. It will be far less likely that we as a mmj community can counter any attacks on the law (or persuade officials from just one locality to craft regulations friendly to expanding mmj rights, such as transfers by clubs) if all these different municipalities need to be on board with the final product. There is no way we can organize a coordinated response to these several different governmental entities working together. If they are indeed working together, I will protest this development at the next Holland public Planning Commission Meeting. It is unfair, if not somehow illegal, for those of us living in the City to have to deal also with other municipalities and the approach they want to implement. If there is anyone reading this post that has knowledge of rights being violated by this kind of local government group approach to crafting regulations, please email me.

Kurt, Director the HollandCCC

kurtklaas@comcast.net

Archived