Legalization In California, What Happened?

greenbuddha

Most of us know that Prop 19 didn't pass in California, here's an article on the possibilities of 'why'.

facebook.gif stumble.gif diggit.gif reddit.gif delicious.gif

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v10/n925/a02.html

Newshawk: http://www.veteransformedicalcannabis.org/

Votes: 0

Pubdate: Thu, 11 Nov 2010

Source: Valley Star (Los Angeles Valley College, Edu)

Copyright: 2010 Valley Star

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/4019

Author: Jon Seeley, News Editor

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/topic/Proposition+19

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/find?115 (Cannabis - California)

PROPOSITION 19 LOSES TO IGNORANCE

Californians Once Again Let Ignorance and Stupidity Sway the Vote Against Their Best Interests.

The California Police Chiefs and Narcotics Officers associations have more in common with violent Mexican drug cartels and the California Beer & Beverage Distributors than you might think. They all opposed the passage of Proposition 19, which was defeated by 54 percent of voters.

For anyone living in a prescription drug haze -- literally half of America -- Prop 19 would have legalized the use and cultivation of marijuana for adults over 21. Additionally, it would have allowed local governments to sell and tax it in the same way as alcohol.

Proposition 19's failure is not surprising. Californians consistently prove themselves to be either ignorant or stupid. Perhaps this state-of-being is what causes people, in utter unsmiling seriousness, to believe "voting for the lesser of two evils" is a vote well cast.

After all, this is the land of voter-approved Prop 8 and a population educated in the lowest-ranked, civics-course-free schools in the country. It's a voting public easily fooled by propaganda. Lazy-eyed "environmentally conscious" citizens, who voted 62 percent against Prop 23 because it was funded by Texas Oil, passed Prop 26, also funded by big oil.

Supporters of Prop 19 include retired police chiefs, judges, dozens of lawyers, a former U.S. Surgeon General, representatives in congress, and all major third parties.

According to the official voter information guide, "there is $14 billion in marijuana sales every year in California, but our debt ridden state gets none of it." Drug cartels, business-savvy teenagers, and gangs receive most of the profits currently. The high school student selling it doesn't check for ID, nor does the drug dealer they bought it from.

"We've tried the prohibitionists' way, for over 40 years, and the only result has been more and more drugs flowing into our country and more and more profits going into the pockets of organized criminals," said Stephen Downing, former Los Angeles Deputy Chief of Police. "We have to move away from prohibition and toward controlling and regulating the market for marijuana, just as when we ended alcohol prohibition to put Al Capone's smuggling buddies out of business."

The Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, estimated $1.6 billion in annual profits from the commercial sale of marijuana in cash-strapped California.

Voters must have forgotten that $17 billion has been cut from California public education in the past two years. Commercial cultivation of pot would have created an estimated 100,000 jobs and Prop 19 could have generated billions from the currently illegal hemp industry.

It could have been a victory of rationality and civil liberty ending a 100-year-campaign, rooted in racism, against marijuana users. Alice Huffman, president of the California NAACP, called it a civil rights issue. She said despite a lower rate of usage among blacks, "blacks are arrested for marijuana possession at higher rates than whites, typically at double, triple, or even quadruple the rate."

Marijuana has been proven to be one of the safest substances on earth by modern science and traditional usage. Prohibition didn't work on alcohol and it isn't working on marijuana either. Above all, this is a civil rights issue involving control of one's body and mind. Let's hope Californians can pull their act together in 2012 when more marijuana legalization initiatives are expected to appear.

MAP posted-by: Richard Lake

<< Prev Area Email Index Print Rate Source Translate Next >> Prev US MP: OPED: Why We Should Get The Facts

DrugWarFacts.org Next CN ON: Winning Pot-Shot on Drug War? Decriminalization

Most of us know that Prop 19 didn't pass in California, here's an article on the possibilities of 'why'.

facebook.gif stumble.gif diggit.gif reddit.gif delicious.gif

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v10/n925/a02.html

Newshawk: http://www.veteransformedicalcannabis.org/

Votes: 0

Pubdate: Thu, 11 Nov 2010

Source: Valley Star (Los Angeles Valley College, Edu)

Copyright: 2010 Valley Star

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/4019

Author: Jon Seeley, News Editor

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/topic/Proposition+19

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/find?115 (Cannabis - California)

PROPOSITION 19 LOSES TO IGNORANCE

Californians Once Again Let Ignorance and Stupidity Sway the Vote Against Their Best Interests.

The California Police Chiefs and Narcotics Officers associations have more in common with violent Mexican drug cartels and the California Beer & Beverage Distributors than you might think. They all opposed the passage of Proposition 19, which was defeated by 54 percent of voters.

For anyone living in a prescription drug haze -- literally half of America -- Prop 19 would have legalized the use and cultivation of marijuana for adults over 21. Additionally, it would have allowed local governments to sell and tax it in the same way as alcohol.

Proposition 19's failure is not surprising. Californians consistently prove themselves to be either ignorant or stupid. Perhaps this state-of-being is what causes people, in utter unsmiling seriousness, to believe "voting for the lesser of two evils" is a vote well cast.

After all, this is the land of voter-approved Prop 8 and a population educated in the lowest-ranked, civics-course-free schools in the country. It's a voting public easily fooled by propaganda. Lazy-eyed "environmentally conscious" citizens, who voted 62 percent against Prop 23 because it was funded by Texas Oil, passed Prop 26, also funded by big oil.

Supporters of Prop 19 include retired police chiefs, judges, dozens of lawyers, a former U.S. Surgeon General, representatives in congress, and all major third parties.

According to the official voter information guide, "there is $14 billion in marijuana sales every year in California, but our debt ridden state gets none of it." Drug cartels, business-savvy teenagers, and gangs receive most of the profits currently. The high school student selling it doesn't check for ID, nor does the drug dealer they bought it from.

"We've tried the prohibitionists' way, for over 40 years, and the only result has been more and more drugs flowing into our country and more and more profits going into the pockets of organized criminals," said Stephen Downing, former Los Angeles Deputy Chief of Police. "We have to move away from prohibition and toward controlling and regulating the market for marijuana, just as when we ended alcohol prohibition to put Al Capone's smuggling buddies out of business."

The Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, estimated $1.6 billion in annual profits from the commercial sale of marijuana in cash-strapped California.

Voters must have forgotten that $17 billion has been cut from California public education in the past two years. Commercial cultivation of pot would have created an estimated 100,000 jobs and Prop 19 could have generated billions from the currently illegal hemp industry.

It could have been a victory of rationality and civil liberty ending a 100-year-campaign, rooted in racism, against marijuana users. Alice Huffman, president of the California NAACP, called it a civil rights issue. She said despite a lower rate of usage among blacks, "blacks are arrested for marijuana possession at higher rates than whites, typically at double, triple, or even quadruple the rate."

Marijuana has been proven to be one of the safest substances on earth by modern science and traditional usage. Prohibition didn't work on alcohol and it isn't working on marijuana either. Above all, this is a civil rights issue involving control of one's body and mind. Let's hope Californians can pull their act together in 2012 when more marijuana legalization initiatives are expected to appear.

MAP posted-by: Richard Lake

<< Prev Area Email Index Print Rate Source Translate Next >> Prev US MP: OPED: Why We Should Get The Facts

DrugWarFacts.org Next CN ON: Winning Pot-Shot on Drug War? Decriminalization

It's about the almighty dollar again, would you want something legalized that is making you a ton of loot? Just sayin

It's about the almighty dollar again, would you want something legalized that is making you a ton of loot? Just sayin

You hit the nail on the head!

The greedy growers in Mendocino and Humboldt counties joined forces with the opposition/reefer madness crowd and started running ads AGAINST Prop 19.

I can understand both sides.

Perhaps, the ballot initiative next time needs to be crafted better?

Mizerman

You hit the nail on the head!

The greedy growers in Mendocino and Humboldt counties joined forces with the opposition/reefer madness crowd and started running ads AGAINST Prop 19.

I can understand both sides.

Perhaps, the ballot initiative next time needs to be crafted better?

Mizerman

This begs a question. How many here support legalization, regulation, and taxation of cannabis? Now the kicker. Will you surrender your right to grow to achieve it?

This begs a question. How many here support legalization, regulation, and taxation of cannabis? Now the kicker. Will you surrender your right to grow to achieve it?

No, I wouldn't encourage any to surrender those rights.

All I'm saying is that the "wording" of Prop 19 wasn't very good.

Mizerman

This world and the people in it, just suck. It's always about money, freaking pieces of paper and worthless coins... I hate this world more and more each day, not really the world, but the population of it. Show me one human who ever lived on this earth that was able to take their money with them when they died.... So many important things in live, love, laughter, happiness, sorrow, grief, compassion, mercy.... How can a race of such screwed up, half witted humans, ever make it without trampling the rights of others? They all serve the almighty dollar, they all still worship the golden calf. Just another inanimate for object ignorant humans to worship below the mountain.

Someday my body will give out, and I'll get to leave this buny muffin hole...

I agree, people tend to be quite impressive. Sure would simplify things if you could take it with you. First thing you would find is people would live longer, Right off the Top...

This world and the people in it, just suck. It's always about money, freaking pieces of paper and worthless coins... I hate this world more and more each day, not really the world, but the population of it. Show me one human who ever lived on this earth that was able to take their money with them when they died.... So many important things in live, love, laughter, happiness, sorrow, grief, compassion, mercy.... How can a race of such screwed up, half witted humans, ever make it without trampling the rights of others? They all serve the almighty dollar, they all still worship the golden calf. Just another inanimate for object ignorant humans to worship below the mountain.

Someday my body will give out, and I'll get to leave this buny muffin hole...

You need to check that Apathetic attitude my friend, Life is too dam short, and the Rent is TOOO dam High! Find someone else to hate if you absolutley have to, get a dog, or try a little healthy Antipathy. Or in your best interest get professional help.

Best of Luck, heh its just Life, try to make something out of it. Maybe try to Smell the roses, or think of a few other places to put it, ... Peace

ps. In a way this may have played a role in their Folly in CA. Voter Apathy?

pss but here's my original post/reason:

However : You forgot to mention the Retired DEA Chiefs who had to come out of retirement to protect their pensions as they cautioned CA Voters it would be a terrible mistake to Legalize the 'Erb.

I think they all should be held accountable for their attrocities, all of them!

Waynes, I believe the 'new' Cal legalization proposal that is being written up for 2012 states (approximate wording) that 'no part of this legislation shall interfere with any rights given to medical marijuana patients under other legislation'.

I take that to mean that if the current MMJ legislation 'allows' patients and care givers to 'grow' then that 'can not' be taken away from them even if cannabis IS legalized.

And under the 'legalization' prop being written up now, a person can grow a certain amount, I believe it to be six plants and that would give 'double' protections under at least State law to ANYONE using 'cannabis' for ANY reason, medical or otherwise.

Cals new legalization Prop WILL be different.

I'm just wondering what Colorado's new 'legalization' prop for 2012 will look like?

Waynes, I believe the 'new' Cal legalization proposal that is being written up for 2012 states (approximate wording) that 'no part of this legislation shall interfere with any rights given to medical marijuana patients under other legislation'.

I take that to mean that if the current MMJ legislation 'allows' patients and care givers to 'grow' then that 'can not' be taken away from them even if cannabis IS legalized.

And under the 'legalization' prop being written up now, a person can grow a certain amount, I believe it to be six plants and that would give 'double' protections under at least State law to ANYONE using 'cannabis' for ANY reason, medical or otherwise.

Cals new legalization Prop WILL be different.

I'm just wondering what Colorado's new 'legalization' prop for 2012 will look like?

It is all in the wording patients tend to read the whole proposal to protect the rights we have worked so hard for before we vote.

It is all in the wording patients tend to read the whole proposal to protect the rights we have worked so hard for before we vote.

This 'new legalization proposal' is the one being written for California... but your advice is good... always read it before you vote on it.

But IMO I see no reason why 'Medical Marijuana law' could not exist right along with 'general use' legislation... one 'law' does not have to cancel out the other.

And remember ALL cannabis use is STILL illegal under Federal law... changes still need to be made there as well.

Archived