Christian Church Rites Of The Blessing Of The Sick

Yep ..

Some facts .. anointing seems to have been central to both Judaism and Christianity. Going so far as to name Christianity after it. From Greek .. Kristos = "the anointed one" Kristianos = "little anointed ones"

The oil used seems to have had both healing and antiseptic properties. The intended usage was for it to be applied to both people and things to make "clean."

Hemp was very common in the area. So common, in fact, that a geographical region was named after the tall fibrous plants growing there "cane." The land of Canaan. The land of paradise. The land of milk and honey. (produced by bees gathering hemp pollen and cows eating cannabis flowers) .. OK .. we got off on hard to prove stuff.

It has been historically proven that cannabis grew wild there. It is easier on the minds of many if you say "hemp grew wild there."

I was used for both fiber and medicine. A dig of a grave dated about 400 AD found a young woman that died in childbirth with a wad of cannabis that had been inserted into her vagina. Possibly in an attempt to stop blood flow. Probably a food stock also.

The fishermen on the Sea of Galilee had boats with hemp fiber sails.

It is unlikely that such a commonly used material would not have been mentioned in the Bible. Such unlikelihood would tend to support the idea of some sort of mistranslation.

You have given some fact that I can agree with. But your conclusions still are speculation. The fact is there are three or four possible interpretations from the Hebrew for Kineboisin. When King James' small army of scholars interpreted the Hebrew they did not conclude hemp. They could have been wrong. We know they were wrong about other words. However you also have to consider they were closer to the time when that Hebrew was spoked than we are today. I have changed my position somewhat from when we first started discussing this. The evidence has led me to believe that it is possible Jesus used hemp in his oil. There is a 33% chance to be more accurate.

The fact that hemp grew in the area does not really mean much. Just because hemp was used for rope and cloth you can't make the leap that it was also used for medicine. I think a more compelling argument was that while being held as slaves in Egypt the Jews would have seen Egyptians use it as a medicine. But that could have easily been lost between the time of Moses and Jesus just like it has been lost between Jesus and us.

This is 'historical' information on the 'early medical' use of 'cannabis' which is tracible and can be varified.

And no, it does not confirm cannabis use for 'religious purposes', but I find it interesting that there IS evidence that cannabis WAS being used in the Middle East at a very early date.

Ramesseum III Papyrus (1700 BC) Ram-total.jpg

The Ramesseum III, Medical Papyrus:

As can be seen the Ramesseum III papyrus scroll (that which is still in existence today) actually consists of various bits and pieces. However, (as luck would have it) at least one of the sections that made mention of Medical Cannabis is still very much intact. [see picture below].

As most Egyptologists put the date of the scroll at around 1,700 BC, this would make it one of the oldest known medical references on the subject.

RamPap-26A.jpgS_RamA-26.jpg

[Part of Plate A26 - Courtesy of the "British Museum of London"

Ramesseum III -- Read from top to bottom

A translation of the above reads as follows:

" A treatment for the eyes: celery;
hemp
; is ground and left in the dew overnight. Both eyes of the patient are to be washed with it early in the morning."
--- (RAM IIIA 26) An Ancient Egyptian Herbal by L. Manniche p82

Pictures -- Courtesy of the "British Museum of London" [Not for commercial use]

http://antiquecannabisbook.com/chap2B/Egypt/Ram.htm

Nice find, thanks!

You have given some fact that I can agree with. But your conclusions still are speculation. The fact is there are three or four possible interpretations from the Hebrew for Kineboisin. When King James' small army of scholars interpreted the Hebrew they did not conclude hemp. They could have been wrong. We know they were wrong about other words. However you also have to consider they were closer to the time when that Hebrew was spoked than we are today. I have changed my position somewhat from when we first started discussing this. The evidence has led me to believe that it is possible Jesus used hemp in his oil. There is a 33% chance to be more accurate.

The fact that hemp grew in the area does not really mean much. Just because hemp was used for rope and cloth you can't make the leap that it was also used for medicine. I think a more compelling argument was that while being held as slaves in Egypt the Jews would have seen Egyptians use it as a medicine. But that could have easily been lost between the time of Moses and Jesus just like it has been lost between Jesus and us.

I don't think that people were getting high on the oil. Not in the same way we would perceive as getting high.

Now the fumes around the temple area .. must have been something else .. The fumes would likely have produced pain relief. And would probably produced a mild psychoactive effect also.

It's effects on disease in what I noted in the references. This is a preparation that should have encouraged healing.

So you go to the temple. All of your body pain goes away and your body starts to heal. How could a supernatural connection not be perceived by those that live through something like that?

:) I think I remember you talking about ammo for the right wing Bible thumpers. :)

Got it if you want it ..

ready aim fire it up! :)

I have emailed the curator of the London Museum about some Egyptian artifacts they may have that may support your premise. However since I don't have a PhD after my name I might not get the answers I want. I'm sure I'm not the first person to inquire about Egyptian hemp related artifacts and he probably has better things to do than satisfy my curiosity. :D I will pass it on if he answers no matter which side it supports.

I think this whole discussion is pretty interesting. Personally, as a Catholic (and a priest/bishop to boot), if I have a parishioner who needs the Sacrament of the Sick, I will consecrate whatever oil I have on hand. I prefer to use olive oil, but I'm not that picky. Just like with the wine. If I have someone who wants communion, but they can't have wine.. I'll consecrate grape juice for them.

Point is: the "matter" doesn't matter. It's the intent. (I know, this is in direct violation of the teaching "form, intent, and matter for a sacrament to be valid.")

And, I not only recommend the use of medical marijuana to parishioners, I am a patient myself. I am a strong advocate, and will be continue to be one. I don't feel that I need any further "proof" that it is a valid medicine. Trying to drum up ancient proof of medical efficacy is like try to interpret the Bible. Depending on the translation, you're going to get different meanings. And each of those are going to be twisted to mean whatever the reader wants.

Just my opinion.

Fr. Joshua

Archived