Attempt To Repeal Montana's Medical Marijuana Law

EdwardGlen

Like I said we are under attack! And if the Tea Party get anymore power or the GOP gets any crazier. It'll be the bad ol'days again with people getting hard prison time for a little bit of cannabis.

The Examiner

2010-06-21

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/06/21/Behind_the_attempt_to_repeal_Montanas_medical_marijuana_law/

Under the guise of “fixing” our medical marijuana law, a group calling itself “Safe Communities, Safe Kids” (SCSK) is trying to repeal I-148, citing medical marijuana as a “myth” that “encourages lawlessness” and makes the world a dangerous place for kids. They insist that, despite the lack of evidence to back up their theory, medical marijuana clinics actually make a community more dangerous and the only way to “fix” the program is to ban medical marijuana entirely. Whether they actually believe their own lies or are simply acting on behalf of big pharmaceutical companies,...

I understand your frustration and anger over the events in Oakland County relating to medical marijuana clinics. Problems similar to this have been occurring all across the state and in our courts as the new law is being implemented. As a result, I am currently serving on a Medical Marijuana Task Force appointed by House Speaker Andy Dillon to look at amending the act to make it more clear and to avoid any issues like those that are occurring around the state currently. We hope to have recommendations made for amending the statutes before the end of this year. Thank you again for contacting me.

“Safe Communities, Safe Kids”

who writes this crap? why do they always have to bring kids into this? such a load of crap but they know it will hit home for all those sheep out there that think marijuana is the devil's weed.

you wanna know what's bad for kids? meth, heroin, cocaine, and above all, ALCOHOL.

these social conservative morons make my blood boil.

:growl:

who writes this crap? why do they always have to bring kids into this? such a load of crap but they know it will hit home for all those sheep out there that think marijuana is the devil's weed.

you wanna know what's bad for kids? meth, heroin, cocaine, and above all, ALCOHOL.

these social conservative morons make my blood boil.

:growl:

As a kid in high school, I had a much harder time getting regulated alcohol, but weed was a snap to get. Heck, it was easier for me then than it is now, even with the MMMA. If they were really concerned about the kids they'd make it harder for them to get by legalizing and regulating it.

The article you cite is over 5 months old. I did a Yahoo and Google news search and could find no other articles on this group. Do you have any information on how successful their efforts have been?

If you were to link to the whole article rather than just this snippet you would see the author seems to be against this movement.

I quote "SKSC in fact has much more in common with militant Muslim extremists than consumer advocacy groups; when a vocal, moneyed minority uses fear-mongering and biased media attention to impose their political agenda on the majority, this is called terrorism, and it should not be a part of our political process..............The idea of correcting Montana’s medical marijuana act by repealing it is completely ludicrous"

[/i]

http://www.examiner.com/medical-marijuana-in-missoula/behind-the-attempt-to-repeal-montana-s-medical-marijuana-law

I was simply making a point that MM laws across the nation are under attack.

I was simply making a point that MM laws across the nation are under attack.

And they 'are, Ed. And they will be for some time to come with the anti-cannabis crowd regaining its power in Washington.

Think we'd better try and get our act together before 2012 or we are going to be in some serious trouble.

• 2 months later...

a Billings group is launching a $20,000 weeklong, statewide television advertising campaign to ask Montanans to urge their state senators and Gov. Brian Schweitzer to support repealing Montana’s 2004 law legalizing medical marijuana.The ad will be taped today and will begin running on Tuesday. It will feature some kids talking about marijuana getting into schools.

Cherrie Brady of Billings heads the group, Safe Community, Safe Kids, which is running the advertising campaign.

Brady said the theme of the TV ad is that “our kids are in trouble and that medical marijuana has penetrated the schools.”

“Schools are pretty much under a gag order,” she added. “We’re hoping to expose a little of what’s going on in schools.”

Brady said school officials have told her privately that there’s so much excess medical marijuana in Montana that kids are selling it all over schools and that some kids are prostituting themselves to obtain it. Law enforcement officials have told her that they can’t police the use of marijuana in the schools because it’s often consumed in brownies and candy, she said.

“It’s crossing boundaries,” she said. “It’s not just the bad kids. They have star athletes (using marijuana too).”

The House, on a preliminary, 63-37 vote last week, passed House Bill 161, by Speaker Mike Milburn, R-Cascade, which would repeal the state’s voter-passed medical marijuana law. It is expected to face a final House vote soon before heading to the Senate.

There are also several other key bills that would keep medical marijuana legal, but institute a more comprehensive licensing and regulatory system.

The ad will direct people to the group’s website, http://safecommt.org, where they can find links to contact their state senators and Schweitzer, who has not said where he stands on repealing the law.

Steve Zabawa, owner of a Billings car dealership, said the Safe Community, Safe Kids has already has raised the money for the advertising.

Both Zabawa and Brady said the TV ad is timed to reach Montanans around the time their legislators are on their midsession break. They will recess on Feb. 24 and return to the Capitol on March 1. During that break, many lawmakers return to their home districts and meet with their constituents at town meetings and other gatherings.

The group also is setting up phone banks to make calls to community leaders in senators’ districts and to ask them to contact their key constituents to see what they think is the best approach to address medical marijuana — repealing the law, regulating the industry or taxing the industry, Zabawa said.

“Most of the state in my opinion doesn’t know that medical marijuana can be repealed,” he said.

He said he favors repealing the law, having the state study the issue thoroughly and then possibly passing another law that would put up strict parameters to restrict the use of medical marijuana. The state needs to get the federal Food and Drug Administration involved, he said.

“Repeal’s the deal,” Zabawa said. “We hope to get that accomplished.”

Safe Community, Safe Kids, launched an 11th hour campaign last summer to put an initiative on 2010 ballot to repeal the medical marijuana. The group obtained more than 19,000 signatures in a week, but failed by 5,000 signatures to qualify it for the ballot.

http://www.upnorthmedia.org/watchupnorthtv.asp?SDBFid=2636#vid

This is a conservative social revolution and the poor, sick, disabled and dying have been marked for genocide. Just look at the programs targeted. Such as home heating assistance. Just look at how much money the rich are receiving via tax breaks and credits. Prepare my friends. We must be ready to march at a moments notice. Thanks, Bb

When you blast the trumpets my better half and I will be there.

There was a small segment on The Headline News Channel at the very end of Robin Meade's broadcast today that featured a little boy who was doing so much better after having brain cancer.

Then, they let some delusional "reefer madness mother" say that it was in the schools.

Their fear-based propaganda campaign will be coming here........soon.

Prepare for battle!

Mizerman

(
)
Poll results released today by
suggest that about three out of four Montanans support either more strict regulation of the state’s Medical Marijuana Program or no change to it at all, while only 20 percent support the outright repeal of the program.

The findings appear to conflict with the mood in Montana’s Capitol. The Senate will soon take up a bill that would repeal the Montana Medical Marijuana Act. The House passed the measure on Monday by a vote of 62-37. This despite the fact that 62 percent of Montana voters approved the law in 2004.

conducted the poll on behalf of Patients and Families United, a group that lobbies the Montana Legislature for marijuana patients’ rights. Find the group’s press release below, and the full poll results
(PDF).

A statewide poll conducted last weekend found that a sizeable majority of adult Montanans — 63% — still supports allowing medical marijuana, and most would support strict new regulations. But, in stark contrast, very few — only 20% — supports current proposals to repeal the state’s compassionate medical marijuana law, it was announced today. As a general principle, not specific to medical marijuana, only 24% of Montanans believes any initiative adopted by a strong majority of voters should be repealed by the Legislature.

Kinda like Michigan as far as support of voters.

Archived