Grow Room Electrical Questions

Magoo4242

Ok now I am onto having some electrical questions as I set up this room.

I will be having a hydrofarm 4 light HID controller in my room. This will run and control the timing of my lights. Now I am thinking I just need to have this wired into my 30amp circut and I should be good for all my lights correct? I do not need to worry about all the lights tripping a circuit as long as this controller is wired into the 30amp circuit.

This is just a quick questions that i had running in my mind. So I will plug my lights into this controller and sounds like the only other things I need to worry about on the electrical circuits end is running my 2 400CFM fans and a 1000W baseboard heater.

I will have to look to make sure I have room on my panel. I know I have a small panel in my garage (WHere grow room is going). I also know that the main panel in the house just has a 15amp circuit for the garage, so sounds like I will need to update this or add another circuit for the garage. Just looking for tips or advice from the elctrical guys on here. Trying to think of all things as I set and plan this grow room.

What would you use for heat, when the lights are off?

I need the baseboard heater to keep the grow room warm at all times, more than likely just when the lights are off though. The heater has a thermostat etc and will only come on when needed. As you can see the heater is needed as the grow room will be in the garage.

If you have not been following my other posts and questions on here here are some basics about the room.

Grow Room will be 16' x 5' x 8' tall. The room will be located in my external garage. The grow room walls and ceiling will be insulated, but the garage itself is not.

Basic Equipment:

3- 1000W daystar AC lights

1- 400CFM fan for cooling the lights (CLosed System)

1- 424CFM fan with carbon filter to vent room and displace air.

1- 4 light HID controller

Ok now I am onto having some electrical questions as I set up this room.

I will be having a hydrofarm 4 light HID controller in my room. This will run and control the timing of my lights. Now I am thinking I just need to have this wired into my 30amp circut and I should be good for all my lights correct? I do not need to worry about all the lights tripping a circuit as long as this controller is wired into the 30amp circuit.

30a 115 or 30a 240? If it's 30a 115 it "could" be a problem if it's 30a 240, not an issue..

This is just a quick questions that i had running in my mind. So I will plug my lights into this controller and sounds like the only other things I need to worry about on the electrical circuits end is running my 2 400CFM fans and a 1000W baseboard heater.

You would be best running your lights on 240 and having another circuit for the rest of the room, if not multiple circuits.. The baseboard heater and the fans on the same circuit could trip if all happened to come on at the same time..

I will have to look to make sure I have room on my panel. I know I have a small panel in my garage (WHere grow room is going). I also know that the main panel in the house just has a 15amp circuit for the garage, so sounds like I will need to update this or add another circuit for the garage. Just looking for tips or advice from the elctrical guys on here. Trying to think of all things as I set and plan this grow room.

Electrical is NOT to be EFFED with... If your garage is on a 15a circuit, you should have that for the room, if not 2 15a circuits PLUS the lights on a 240 line..!!

OVERKILL is just enough...lol..

Cheers..!!

The circut that you have going to the garage to run all this, does it power anything other than the garage? maybe a utility room.....Basicaly what else is on this circut? My room is set up to pull 30a 240 volts for the lights then I have a separate 15a 110 circut to run my incedentals......fans pumps.......humidifyer.........and a 20a 110 circut for my heaters. I would split up the power and definately run at least 2 circuts out there just to be safe. In the winter if your pulling everything off 1 circut and the heater is maxed out and lights are on and the breaker trips your screwed with no heat and light until you come home......that could spell disaster on a 15 degree day in Michigan. You should total up all of your amps to determine this and max sure that you have some wiggle room. Also id you go over kill then you have room to improve later say if you need to run 4 1k lights? The room I started with is not the same room that I am now using after 3 cycles just because I always feel the need to go bigger and better.

The circut that you have going to the garage to run all this, does it power anything other than the garage? maybe a utility room.....

Basicaly what else is on this circut?

My room is set up to pull 30a 240 volts for the lights then I have a separate 15a 110 circut to run my incedentals......fans pumps.......humidifyer.........and a 20a 110 circut for my heaters.

I would split up the power and definately run at least 2 circuts out there just to be safe.

In the winter if your pulling everything off 1 circut and the heater is maxed out and lights are on and the breaker trips your screwed with no heat and light until you come home......that could spell disaster on a 15 degree day in Michigan.

You should total up all of your amps to determine this and max sure that you have some wiggle room.

Also id you go over kill then you have room to improve later say if you need to run 4 1k lights?

The room I started with is not the same room that I am now using after 3 cycles just because I always feel the need to go bigger and better.

Possible to read now... :thumbsu:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an old fan that came off of an overhead radiator type shop heater. I'm thinking of rigging up some kind off exhaust system to evacuate my room with it. Not cool my lamps with it, just exchange the air in my grow room. It moves a lot of air. Can I adjust the motor speed with something as simple as a light dimmer, or a ceiling fan control switch? Something like a potentiometer? Do I need some kind of motor speed control unit? Or should I put it in the trash and spend my money on a new exhaust fan?

I wouldn't put it in the trash, but it's not going to do much for you, because it's not really "enclosed" like a blower, it's simply a bladed fan...

How about this, hang it in the corner of the room and use it to circulate the air INSIDE the room..

Get a proper blower for the exhaust..

Thanks for the advice SW. I was thinking of using it inside the room, but it's still way too powerful. I'm still curious if there's some easy way to adjust the speed.

Guest Happy Guy

Thanks for the advice SW. I was thinking of using it inside the room, but it's still way too powerful. I'm still curious if there's some easy way to adjust the speed.

You can control the inlet and that would control output. You will hear the fan motor speed up when you cover some of the inlet. That is because the fan doesn't work as hard with less air to move.

Electric motors need to be set up for electronic speed control, most do not work with a rheostat.

You can control the inlet and that would control output. You will hear the fan motor speed up when you cover some of the inlet. That is because the fan doesn't work as hard with less air to move.

Electric motors need to be set up for electronic speed control, most do not work with a rheostat.

Thanks Happy Guy. I think I'll put it back on the shelf for now. Maybe when I'm working in a bigger grow it will fit in.

Archived