How Do U Plant Your Seeds?

kingofbuds

I would like to know how u plant your seeds? ive heard of the paper towel trick, or put in water first for 24 hrs till it sinks then put it in paper towel. I fill up a red dixie cup with pro-mix. and put the bean in there about a half inch down. then moist the sail really well. i put it in dark till the bean pops above ground. that how i have ever planted seeds. And ive had everyone pop out of the dirt. So what's your method?

king of buds

;) ;)

here's what i use:

SEED GERMINATION 101

you will need:

2 plates (same size)

2 paper towels

r.o. water (or day old tapwater)

cannabis beans

patience

start by folding your 2 paper towels in half twice. making it a 4-ply sheet.

med_gallery_13801_60_14868.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_2008630.jpg

place one of your paper towels on the plate and lightly wet it with your r.o. or day old tapwater.

med_gallery_13801_60_1023372.jpg

then add your beans:

med_gallery_13801_60_1434339.jpg

next, place your second paper towel (folded in half twice) over the beans:

med_gallery_13801_60_1133326.jpg

now add a bit more r.o./day old tapwater again to moisten.

next cover with your second plate:

med_gallery_13801_60_1673964.jpg

the key from here is temperature and moisture. 70-75° is best. on top of the fridge works perfect usually :) but for a more speedy germination, you can put your plate on top of a ballast.

med_gallery_13801_60_779959.jpg

never let the paper towels dry out, but do no keep your beans floating in water either. you do want to pop the top on things and let fresh air in 4-5 times daily.

normally you will begin to see a taproot sprouting from the seed within 24-48 hours, but some seeds may take up to 10-14 days so be patient.

after a day or so you should see this:

med_gallery_13801_60_657677.jpg

after you see about 1/4" of root, you are ready to plant.

plant the seed, root down, in whatever media you wish. in soil i try to get the bean about 1/8 - 1/4" below the surface. same in rockwool:

after a day or so you should be happy to this this:

med_gallery_13801_60_252075.jpg

and within another couple days:

med_gallery_13801_60_1193111.jpg

if you germinate your beans in soil, you are good to go from the very beginning. if you grow in hydro or start your beans in rockwool, i like to wait until the roots are visible out of the sides/bottom of the rockwool cube/starter plug before planting.

i do what bubble does except

i use tap ( i have a 50 gal res with a 150 gpd 6 stage ro but i don't think it makes any difference)

i don't cover with a top plate (smart idea i think i will start)

i go from paper towel right to a dixie of the medium i plan to use (soiless or coco)

works great bubble has you covered follow his steps and get a great germ rate!

I do the same thing as BG and have had great results.

You know, I skip the whole paper towel thing and just put them straight into the rockwool cubes, under flourescent lights and moist with very, very light nutes (or no nutes, but add some as soon as they pop).

I saw some side by side tests recently that used my method with different media (RW cubes, rapid rooter cubes and another one I forgot), all of them worked, but the "rapid rooter" cubes were the fastest.

You know, I skip the whole paper towel thing and just put them straight into the rockwool cubes, under flourescent lights and moist with very, very light nutes (or no nutes, but add some as soon as they pop).

I saw some side by side tests recently that used my method with different media (RW cubes, rapid rooter cubes and another one I forgot), all of them worked, but the "rapid rooter" cubes were the fastest.

this works, no doubt.... but what probably didnt happen in that test is a seed trying to grow upside-down. this is possible to overcome in soil..... because the taproot can get itself turned around normally..... assuming the soil is allowed to dry out and become "crumbly" and more viable for a weak seedling trying to make its way into the world.... soaked soil will not let the seed turn itself over.

in rockwool, there is zero chance without human interaction....... unless you make a canyon of a hole in your rockwool cubes. and if you do that, the root may never attach to anything.

a seed pops the root out of one side for a reason..... that end goes down. this is why we have a MUCH greater germination ratio indoors as opposed to plopping some beans outdoors and praying. (bugs and weather too..... but this is a big reason)

your seed has a better chance to live if you plant it root down when it is time............ assuming you are gentle and have totally sterilized your hands.

BG,

just want to post a big helping of cheers and thanks to you. I appreciate the sharply composed photos that make your meaning clear. You're a natural teacher, hats off!

In the 80's and 90's germinating instructions usually included a recommendation to add a TINY amount of bleach to prevent mold (one drop per half cup of water, measured from a medicine dropper, of bleach or some other disinfectant). But apparently such a measure has recently been found unnnecessary.

Well I just threw the pepper and tomato seeds right in rockwool. The tomato plants have now been cloned several times over and the original plants are gouging the ceiling I have wrapped one side back down throughout the trelace and it is back at the ceiling in 2 days only have 3 tomatoes right now but tons of flowers. The peppers I had given up on and was just feeding water every couple days went to throw them out yesterday and there were a couple of almost full grown peppers on there so I hit it with some beastie blooms and cha Ching last night we will see. As for

My new crop I just got three killer seeds put them in a cup of water sunk and I put them in some sure to grow starter cubes gonna try stg this time.

Archived