Rdwc Nutrient Ppm Calculation Help.

ScrogBubbles

I am using technaflora recipe for success. But I am not looking for how to normally mix a batch. This system would have a floating valve that opens to add more water/nutes to the system as the plants use it up. I have only heard mention to use a diluted solution for this type of system, but not how much or any formulas to calculate.

ScrogBubs, Welcome to the site. Need more info... seeds, clones, ...

Generally ppm is determined by plant maturity. Nutes usually have charts to indicate desired strenth. Usually starting at 0 for seeds & clones till roots form about 1-3 weeks ramping up linearlly to about 1000 or so at maturity, just before flower ~.v~.

pH is determined by system type, ie I think yours would fall under aero / hydroponic setting of 5.6 I like and would recommend. Good Luck, Grasshopper !

I think your cartoon is missing a few things? Like a pump/s ? Is that the Res in the corner ? It's gravity feed ? Im running a ebb n flo, it's similar. I have a 55 gal Res but Im only using 25 / 30 g its all I need to fill up all the buckets. I try to check my Res daily to adjust pH and eC and add H2O to keep up the level. If I had a better RO machine I would keep up the levels a bit maybe wouldn't have to do it every day then.

Else your talking about automation / fertigation system ? It monitors your pH, eC and makes neccessary adjustments for you. Thats out of my neighborhood, good luck ...

I think your cartoon is missing a few things? Like a pump/s ? Is that the Res in the corner ? It's gravity feed ? Im running a ebb n flo, it's similar. I have a 55 gal Res but Im only using 25 / 30 g its all I need to fill up all the buckets. I try to check my Res daily to adjust pH and eC and add H2O to keep up the level. If I had a better RO machine I would keep up the levels a bit maybe wouldn't have to do it every day then.

This system is already on the market. It runs for 1900$ but can be made for less than 150$ without buying parts in bulk. I think anybody who grows dwc will agree that this system is the best thing that has been made for dwc since the netpot bucket lids. Maybe that video wasn't the best example. Here are a few more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8mK19mcPM

Else your talking about automation / fertigation system ? It monitors your pH, eC and makes neccessary adjustments for you. Thats out of my neighborhood, good luck ...

Yes I am, the res that you see in the corner of the first video, it is just using gravity and a float valve to keep the system at a consistent level. The res has some sort of diluted solution to keep the ppm stable. I have had no luck finding anybody who can get past how the pump works let alone how to do the dilute mix.

I will build a system at cost for whoever helps me. :unsure:

there is no reason to dilute anything. unless you are using some very unstable nutes and plan on storing it for awhile. other than that, there is no reason to dilute at all. mix the nutes to whatever ppm you need and dump it in. depending on your system size (how many plants) and your rez size, and what stage of life your plants are in (older ones drink more water)........... chances are the rez will be empty in a week or so anyways. because of system flushes and other fluctuations, i have found that it is pointless to try to make a set-up last will have a rez that lasts longer than 2 weeks.

for the exact reason stated above, i have found that just using a larger control bucket, and losing the rez all together has worked out the best. i make 8-12 plant systems. with either 5gal buckets, or 10gal totes. and then link then to one 10gal tote. that one is empty (no plants growing). inside that tote i can check my levels, fill, yada yada. and then i can hook up a water pump and pump it back out to one of the plants in line..... thus keeping the water flowing through all buckets/totes all day everyday. and then of course air stones inside everything. very cheap, very easy system to build. i just took a vacation to florida..... was gone for 7 days..... got back and still had 3-4 days of clearance. you could easily replace that 10gallon control tote with a 20 or 30 gallon as well.

here's some info that may help: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/18150-need-your-grow-questions-answered-come-on-in/page__view__findpost__p__167774

if it is an actual addback formula like the one shown here that you want:

Addback Calculator - (For Advanced Users)

Say you were running the 0-8-16 formula, at 0.7 conversion with a 22 gallon res. When you first fill it up, your ppm will be around 1330.

Now you have been growing for a week, and some of the water has been taken up by the plants, some has evaporated, and now your res is at 947 ppm. You need to get your ppm from 947 to 1330. Here is the equation:

((target - current) / target) * 8 ml per gallon * res gallons = Flora Micro (ml) double this figure to get Flora Bloom (ml)

Example:

((1330 - 947) / 1330) * 8 * 22

(383 / 1330) * 8 * 22

0.3 * 8 * 22 = 53 ml Flora Micro

53 ml Flora Micro, double that and you get 106 ml Flora Bloom. So 53 ml Flora Micro and 106 ml Flora Bloom to add back to your 22 gallon res to get you from 947 to 1330.

then that is of course to be very specific to the nutrient program you are using.

if it is an actual addback formula like the one shown here that you want:

then that is of course to be very specific to the nutrient program you are using.

Thanks bg, I knew you would be the one to come up with the answer.

This will at least give me the proper terms to search.

PM me if you want that system I offered. But, you probably already have your own rdwc going from what I have seen of your posts :P

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think you get what I am asking. I know how to mix normal batches of nutes. I would like to know how to have a diluted reservoir that automaticly tops off my system using a float valve. If you need an example, please see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0ppgAvm8M

call current culture their tech support is VERY helpful. i personally would go 1/2 the strength in my top off res of what's in my rdwc at the moment. also the top off res should be the same size as your rdwc so if you have 4 5 gal buckets you need a 20 gal top off res per CCH20 thats what they recommend for the UC. i have a 1hp chiller sitting just waiting for me to make the plunge!

Archived