Going To Doctor For Recommendation, Worried They'll Turn Me Away

Hi folks,

I'm finally seeing a doctor tomorrow to see if I qualify for a recommendation.

Due to my job, I suffer from pain in my hands, which never goes away unless I'm away from my job for an extended period, which never happens.

My concern is that my condition is not well-documented (haven't had insurance for a while), so I worry that because of this, the doctor will not sign off on it.

Even worse, because I am younger (I assume) than most applicants (late 20s), I fear that this might give them the wrong idea, even though my pain is completely genuine and affects my life substantially.

I don't care to get high -- that's not what this is about. I did try cannabis a couple of times when my pain became unbearable, and found that a single puff before bed eased my pain substantially, with relief lasting well into the next day.

When I spoke with the doctor's office yesterday, they said I wouldn't need any prior records, which helps. But I am wondering what else I can say or do during the appointment to help build a legitimate case.

Thanks.

Marty

I would find a different job it seems stupid to get on a pain medicine for something you can avoid

Welcome to the site Marty. There are people who will help here.

You also don't have to get high to take advantage of a possible treatment for you using cannabis.

If you've got your appointment, try not to sweat it too hard. The worst that can happen is that you've seen a doctor that can get you on the path.

Let us know how it works out.

Peacenick

I've spent my whole education and career in information technology (IT), and that's all I know. It's not like I can just go find a different job down the street. Any job in my field is going to require me spending at least 40 (and in many cases 60-70) hours a week using a computer just for work purposes, plus whatever personal use I require while away from work.

If I were to take a job in a different field, given how pervasive computers are in the modern workplace, I doubt my conditions would be too much different. And given how much time and effort I've invested in my current field, such a change would require me taking a massive pay cut, which my family can't afford.

I've had x-rays which show that my hands are not damaged. If it were a diagnosable, treatable condition like carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis, I would get it treated, by all means. But that's not the case -- I simply have persistent pain because of hours and hours of physical stress.

I beleive arthritis is a condition that qualifys you for mm. hell i believe being 18 covers ya!

dont swet it if your going to a place and paying them 200 just for the recomendation, and 100 for card, you will get it!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Don't sweat it. I would be bold enough to say that if a certification office doesn't require prior records, they will probably just check your pulse to make sure you're alive, write the recommendation, and take your money....

Hell when i got my first cert they met me said they saw I was limping and using a cane and asked if i was in pain, then handed my cert over lol they did not check my darn pulse!

@OP If you are set on staying with your career you should have nothing to worry about just go in explain like you did to us and you should be fine gl :D

Hell when i got my first cert they met me said they saw I was limping and using a cane and asked if i was in pain, then handed my cert over lol they did not check my darn pulse!

@OP If you are set on staying with your career you should have nothing to worry about just go in explain like you did to us and you should be fine gl :D

yep sounds good to me, and dont for get to tell them you voted yes for mm! :thumbsu:

dont forget your check book either! lol

Peace

FTW

Jim

Archived