Anonymity Online - Network Surveillance

Guest d00g

Heard about TOR on NPR in reference to Egypt's political uprising and how it is helping to protect internet activist identities...

From it's splash page, TOR project is a open source anonymity program:

"Protect your privacy. Defend yourself against network surveillance and traffic analysis."

* Tor prevents anyone from learning your location or browsing habits.

* Tor is for web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote logins, and more.

* Tor is free and open source for Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix, and Android

Seems pretty useful considering our MM/political climate. I wonder if there is such a thing as an open source surveillance system by which a audio/visual recording is stored at undisclosed location- only known to the user....?

Seems pretty useful considering our MM/political climate. I wonder if there is such a thing as an open source surveillance system by which a audio/visual recording is stored at undisclosed location- only known to the user....?

http://www.zoneminder.com/

http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

I'm leaning toward Zoneminder for a future setup now in the planning stages, but it's reportedly a bit picky about system setup and hardware.

I had to give up TOR here. People who were banned were using TOR and their IP addresses which were the TOR proxy address got banned too. You can disconnect and reconnect and try a new IP but it can be a pain. Many of the fast TOR servers are the ones that were banned.

I created a bootable Ubuntu live CD that had TOR preinstalled. That way you could boot to the CD and surf anonymously. When you shut down all evidence is gone because it was in RAM only. No swap file on the local drive.

I had to give up TOR here. People who were banned were using TOR and their IP addresses which were the TOR proxy address got banned too. You can disconnect and reconnect and try a new IP but it can be a pain. Many of the fast TOR servers are the ones that were banned.

I created a bootable Ubuntu live CD that had TOR preinstalled. That way you could boot to the CD and surf anonymously. When you shut down all evidence is gone because it was in RAM only. No swap file on the local drive.

I had to quit TOR here too, though I wish I could do what you did or something similar so I can also view the videos and hear the show on BTR, am looking for the other thread about this because I mentioned TOR vm there, people offered to help me with it..

Sb

Archived