Strains For Alzheimer's

MMJ Intern

I don't know if an indica or sativa would be best. I was thinking a sativa (happy go lucky) rather then Indica (glued to the couch). My patient is going to medicate through medibles rather then vaporizing if that makes any difference.

If anyone can suggest a strain or few that are happy go lucky & taste great in a muffin, I'd appreciate it :thumbsu:

Guest 1TokeOverLine

From BG Organics:

Alzheimers

Medical Marijuana and Alzheimer’s Disease

Suggested Strains: Bubble Kush, OG Kush, LA Woman, NYC Sour Diesel

THC (an active ingredient in marijuana) may prevent the progression of Alzheimer’s Disease by:

1. preventing the breakdown of acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function, more effectively than commercial drugs, and

2. blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer’s patients.

SOURCE: Scripps Research Institute published in Molecular Pharmaceutics

Dispensaries Online recommends:

303, 4-way, Acapulco Gold, Alaskan Ice, Anunnaki, Purple Dragon, Apollo 11, Apollo's Trip, Arjan's Haze #1, Arjan's Ultra Haze, Asia Girl, Armageddon 47, Astro Boy, Atomic Haze, Big Buddha Cheese, Big Sur Holy Weed, Blaze, Blue Appolo, Blue Dot, Blue Hen, Blue Moon, Blue Velvet, Blueberry NL, Bob Marley's Best, Brainstorm Haze, Bubble Gum, Bubblefunk, Buddha Grass (Thai Stick), Buddha's Sister, Burmaberry, Bushman's, Butterscotch Hawaiian, C-Plus, California Sunrise, Calizahr, Candy Bubba Kush, Caramella, Casey Jones, Catpiss, Celestial Temple Sativa (CTS), Chemo Grizzly, Cherry Bomb (Sativa), Chocolope, Congo, Crystalberry, Cush (Space Queen, Green Crack, Space Jill), Daggaberry, Dairy Queen, Destroyer, Dolce Vita, Double Afghan Slam, Double Dutch, Double Thai, DTC99, Durban Poison, Ducksfoot, Dutch Dragon, Dutch Treat, Early Durban, Flo, Fruity Thai, Grape Krush, Grapefruit, Grapefruit Haze, Hashmaster, Hawaiian Haze, Jack Flash, Jack The Ripper, Johnny Blaze, Candy Kush (OG Trainwreck), Killer Queen, Lambsbread, Laughing Buddha, Lemon Freeze, Lemon Skunk, LSD, Mean Martian Green, Maui Mist, Mental Floss, Mother's Finest, Northern Lights #5 x Haze, NL x C99, Pineapple Express, Pure Power Plant, Purple Haze, SAGE, SAGE Blue Rhino, SAGE LA, Skunk #1, Super Haze, Super Lemon Haze, Sweet Cindy99, Tangerine Kush, Trainwreck, Twisted Sister, Vortex, White Russian, Willie Nelson, Willijuana, Wonder Woman, Wonder Diesel, to name just few. LOL

Good luck finding them, most I never heard of, but I highlighted the ones that I've grown.

The complete list is here:

http://www.idispensaries.com/strains.php

1T

For more information, please see:

“Marijuana May Stave Off Alzheimer’s,” MSNBC, 10/10/06

From Show Me The Facts on Alzheimer's and Medical Marijuana:

http://www.showmethefacts.org/medical-marijuana-facts/alzheimers/

And reports from NORML;

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7003

I don't know if an indica or sativa would be best.

My father was a patient of mine until his passing last summer.

Sativa was a great help earlier in the day and into the evening. His "sundowners" was markedly much less noticeable and the uplift during the day kept him very active. At bedtime, indica was the choice because it let him sleep well with little to no early morning haze.

Overall, compared to the prescription medications, the effects of cannabis made his last two years some of the best. My mother, and his wife of 61 years, would gladly recommend it to any who suffer this debilitating and mind robbing illness.

My father used medibles, but found even greater effect from tinctures.

Best of luck to you and you patient.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

My father was a patient of mine until his passing last summer.

Sativa was a great help earlier in the day and into the evening. His "sundowners" was markedly much less noticeable and the uplift during the day kept him very active. At bedtime, indica was the choice because it let him sleep well with little to no early morning haze.

Overall, compared to the prescription medications, the effects of cannabis made his last two years some of the best. My mother, and his wife of 61 years, would gladly recommend it to any who suffer this debilitating and mind robbing illness.

My father used medibles, but found even greater effect from tinctures.

Best of luck to you and you patient.

Please be careful of generic "Sativa and Indica" use. Not all Sativas will help, some will make it worse. Same applies to Indicas. Read the research links and monitor him closely! The strains that work MUST have the proper THC/CBD ratio. That can't be stressed hard enough. Improper ratio will aggravate the receptors involved and cause harm.

1T

Thank you 1toke and knottwhole for all the info. I sincerely appreciate it. :bighug:

I'm sorry to hear about your father Knottwhole. I hope he was pain free & comfortable in the end.

I wish tinctures were an option but several of their medications do not mix well with alcohol.

We are hoping that MMJ will control the mood swings and slow down the progression of this horrible disease.

Thanks Knottwhole :thumbsu: Sounds like I'll be glycerin hunting this weekend. In the tutorial, it has a 1:1 ratio (4 cups of tincture to 4 cups of glycerin). So i would make the tincture (MMJ & Everclear), then add it to glycerin?

I was also wondering what would you say a starter dose should start at? A few drops, a whole dropper? My patient will not be able to indicate verbally when it kicks in and as much as I being a MMJ guina pig, my initial and peak effect times will differ greatly.

I was also wondering where I would get glycerin at. Does Meijer or Walmart carry it?

Thanks again. :goodjob:

Archived