House Republicans Unveil Welfare Changes, Including Drug Tests

No jobs, no social safety nets, guess the rich will soon have the world to themselves after we all die off from starvation or some medical issue we can't get treated.

http://blog.mlive.com/cgi-bin/mte/mt-comments.cgi

LANSING -- House Republicans today introduced legislation to change the state's welfare system.

The legislation allows for drug testing in certain cases, ensures illegal immigrants don't receive benefits and continues to limit assistance to 48 months for able-bodied adults. A limit was passed in 2006 but is set to expire on Sept. 30. Ohio, Indiana and Illinois have limits, ranging from two to five years.

"Welfare plays an important role in our society as a way to help people get back on their feet during a time of temporary crisis, not to create a lifetime of dependency," said Rep. Ken Horn, R-Frankenmuth, who introduced one of the two bills. "The plan is focused on empowering chronic welfare recipients to find work while still protecting those who are most vulnerable."

But Judy Putnam, communications director for the Michigan League for Human Services, said this will push more families with children deeper in poverty even though Gov. Rick Snyder has made reducing child poverty a state goal.

"We know that eliminating support for these families with young children will end up costing us more down the road," Putnam said. "Almost all long-term cash assistance families – those on assistance for 60 months or more – are working and complying with their work plans and the state’s mandates."

The measure requires the state to test recipients for substance abuse if there is reasonable suspicion of abuse, a suggestion that has been controversial when raised in the past. Last year, random drug testing was proposed as part of legislation to end abuse of Bridge Cards, electronic debit cards that replaced food stamp coupons.

"Drug testing will ultimately help people overcome their addictions so they can support themselves and their family," Horn said. "Welfare recipients also need to know that their assistance can't be used for alcohol or cigarettes instead of food for their children."

The plan also requires the state to verify the residency status of each non-U.S. citizen applicant. The legislation incorporates a three strikes and you're out disciplinary program where recipients could be permanently banned from cash assistance after three offenses.

Residents would still be able to use food stamps for longer than 48 months. It would also exempt from the time limit senior citizens, pregnant mothers, domestic violence victims and, adults who are physically or mentally incapacitated, and adults with a disabled child at home.

I dont have a problem with this statement:

The plan also requires the state to verify the residency status of each non-U.S. citizen applicant. The legislation incorporates a three strikes and you're out disciplinary program where recipients could be permanently banned from cash assistance after three offenses.

It's well known our welfare system is broke too,and there are some ppl that know who to use the system to my disadvantage. Cuz from what I can gather it's middle america paying the price for the abuse from the rich and the poor,Im trying to play by the rules here,I jut wish everybody else could do the same.

Looks like the food stamp program is still intact. I am amazed at how many people I know need that program to get by. We have enough money here to pay the bills every month but I'm making a tiny fraction of what I used to make as a tool maker. But I live a simple life and don't need to buy too many things.

I bet it would look a whole lot more like the 1930's around here if it weren't for those social safety nets.

"The measure requires the state to test recipients for substance abuse if there is reasonable suspicion of abuse, a suggestion that has been controversial when raised in the past. Last year, random drug testing was proposed as part of legislation to end abuse of Bridge Cards, electronic debit cards that replaced food stamp coupons."

Hmm, wonder if Cannabis Patients will have any problems. Shouldn't, but, we are talking about the drug warrior government here.

They don't give a darn about anyone's RIGHTS. All they know is PUNISH, PUNISH, PUNISH! That's all I've gotten ALL my life! Someone's always lurking around making sure they can be in control, they giveth and taketh away at the drop of a hat. They think it's they have the right to be cruel. They think they're above everyone else! Oh don't get me started on that again. :growl:

Sb

They are simply establishing that US Citizens are as equal to, as expendable, as disposable as any man, woman, or child in Asia or Africa or anywhere is the world.

This is The New World Order, this is Globalization of bio-unit commodities.

Now, shut up and get to work ni-um, er, um, I mean valuable team member whose "we" attitude will surely make a silver future for us all.

“In our hearts, we know it’s time for `we’ to happen. By following through on that `we’ attitude, we’ll have an exciting future.”

Gov Snyder

Translation:

"Go f@#@ yerself!"

sacrificetempledemotivationalposter.jpg

• 1 month later...

I see know problem with this, of course only on the surface, I would need to see the exact wording before I completely commit. And by the way there is no right to welfare anywhere. It is funny how those who paid into Social Security are now on an entitlement and those on welfare have a right. This makes some want to cut welfare all together, which is not logical. Class warfare perpetuated by our smiling politicians.

I am disabled and poor. I tried to work, and really enjoyed it. If I could, I'd gladly support myself. I want to say THANK YOU to all the taxpayers who pay for my care and benefits. I know it isn't easy for you to work so hard and have so little to show for it because govt keeps taking more from you. They've taken a lot from me, too. My situation isn't as bad as it could be, I sincerely do appreciate what I have. Being poor has taught me many valuable things, one of which is how to properly manage my money. I could balance the budget better than them, I'm sure. It's all about PRIORITIES, plain and simple. We fought for everything we have, but that doesn't mean I take it for granted, I know it could be taken from me at any time. They giveth and taketh away in the same breath. I've been fairly lucky, and I know it could be much worse. When I talk to the people who provide me with a service, I thank them, I thank the workers who process my applications, help me with transportation, etc., I let them know how much I do appreciate it. One time I even sent a card to a social services worker who has a very stressful job. Most people complain to him and blame him for not getting things done, though it's not his fault. Many people believe it's easy for us, that we're lazy, that we just sit around collecting money and are very happy to do so, without trying to do anything. I also volunteered for many years with different groups, and still do some community service work. I LOVE it! It's untrue that we don't care about ourselves or anything else. People think we are rich because we get social security. That is another untruth. If I could be a little healthier, I'd GLADLY work, but I don't wanna work for just anyone. I have many skills, some I developed during the short time I did work. What I did, I did well. My other skills are better developed, I've been trying for many years to find a place to use them. All my life I've been in a minority, people say we're the silent minority, but that is just one more lie perpetuated by those who think they are normal and sane. Those who judge and condemn us are INSANE. They cast judgment on purpose, intentionally misrepresenting themselves as do-gooders of society. The only good they're doing is for their already insanely DEEP POCKETS, lined with blood, sweat and tears of the people they stole it from. The quality of life for us the disabled and poor is barely adequate, though it's better than nothing. I've been fighting a stereotype all my life. We've come a long way but we still have a long way to go. Progress is slow. I'm still an outcast, whether or not I'm in this community. That is my reality. I just wanna belong, be useful, needed, safe, healthy, happy, and loved, just like most people. Those who gave me the chance to show what I can do, were given my loyalty, dedication, passion, and pride. We may be poor, we may be disabled, but we have our Pride, Dignity, and Self Worth. :wub:

Sincerely, Sb

I dont have a problem with this statement:

It's well known our welfare system is broke too,and there are some ppl that know who to use the system to my disadvantage. Cuz from what I can gather it's middle america paying the price for the abuse from the rich and the poor,Im trying to play by the rules here,I jut wish everybody else could do the same.

you sure seem to worry too much about whether the poor, sick, elderly get what they need. how many republicans did you pull the switch for last november?

Archived