Police Dogs Are Helping Officers With Drug Enforcement

This is bullshuette, please leave a comment on the news stations site.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=603765

Read more: Local, Crime, Education, K 9, Dog, Police, Law Enforcement, Crime, Drugs, Marijuana, Escanaba High School, Missing Person, Narcotics

ESCANABA -- According to Sheriff Gary Ballweg, crime is declining in Michigan, but rising in Delta County.

Law enforcement has a very effective weapon in the constant war of getting narcotics off the street, a police K-9.

“Our dogs are all passive-alert dogs,” explains Deputy Tom Draze of the Menominee County Sheriff Department. “So when they come into the odor of narcotics, they actually sit down. So that's our indication."

Five officers practiced with their dogs for real-life situations like searching for hidden stashes of marijuana.

“When we stop a car, there are indicators,” explains Sergeant Tom Lewis of the Delta County Sheriff Department. “That kind of put us on alert that there might be something wrong here. We’ll take the dog out and he can either prove us wrong or right."

The dogs also help to take drugs off of school grounds.

Escanaba High School is working with Public Safety and the Sheriff's Department to conduct unannounced drug searches in the school and the parking lot.

Principal Doug Leisenring said that the presence of a police dog plays a big role in helping to keep the campus drug-free.

“I've gotten a lot of positive parental support on the issue,” says Leisenring. “They're glad that we're checking, glad that we've taken a hard line on that."

Getting busted for drugs is a harsh reality check for students, but hardened drug offenders can sometimes turn violent.

“Sometimes they're going to fight, sometimes they're going to run,” says Lewis. “And that's when you hit your bail out button and he'll apprehend the suspect for you and make him stop fighting you."

While drug searches are a big part of K-9 duties, they're also used to find missing people and are the first ones sent in when there's a building search for criminals

"Escanaba High School is working with Public Safety and the Sheriff's Department to conduct unannounced drug searches in the school and the parking lot."

Yes....get them used to submitting to unconstitutional searches at a young age. Have you SEEN some of these unannounced searches at schools? I'd be PISSED as a parent if I found out my kids stuff was being searched without cause.

This is 100% true, LE indoctrinates the youth and violates their rights on a regular basis. Weaken the new generation!

"Escanaba High School is working with Public Safety and the Sheriff's Department to conduct unannounced drug searches in the school and the parking lot."

Yes....get them used to submitting to unconstitutional searches at a young age. Have you SEEN some of these unannounced searches at schools? I'd be PISSED as a parent if I found out my kids stuff was being searched without cause.

please call 906-786-6666 and tell them you want to see the story ran about false alerts or email ygavino@wluctv6.com and tell her

or if you have FB go here and comment on my link, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tripod/120860844605155?ref=ts&sk=wall#!/uppermichiganssource

tell them you want to know more about the false alerts and K9's. I'm trying to flood there office please help me with this

very true.

I do not want my kids doing drugs, but I also do not want them losing their student loans or having to put on every job ap they that they have a drug offense. You can get over an addiction, but a conviction sticks with you for life.

Its messed up,,I seen em done in my kids school! They lock the school down till they are done,,I suppose when i hear of one I can go get my kids if I choose! Only Prob with that is I dont hear about it till they come home,,,I just happened to be in town when one was goin on one time,,,at least 7 police cars,,,I live in a very small town,,,we mite see a state cop once in a while,,,but 7 or 8 our kids freaked out!

Peace

FTW

Jim

very true.

I do not want my kids doing drugs, but I also do not want them losing their student loans or having to put on every job ap they that they have a drug offense. You can get over an addiction, but a conviction sticks with you for life.

This is one of the more profound posts I've seen in here. No parent wants their child at a disadvantage in life, and what more of a disadvantage than a criminal conviction at 17? Job applications, military service, school all are affected.

Write your schools a letter expressly FORBIDDING them or their belongings to be searched or interview by a police officer, two or four legged. They will counter that going to public school is considered parental consent or some nonsense. Counter by demanding home school by citing the above and the fact teens are famous for making the occasional bad decision, and you want as a parent, to protect them.

I am not a lawyer, but if a dog alerts, that is considered probable cause for a warrant, not for an immediate search.

Dr. Bob

Control, control, control, that's the name of the game. They'll put more people in jail, heck, a kid is good slave labor, will live awhile, then there's the justification for more jails, security, etc. Schools have bars on their windows, I've seen them in the cities. Despicable, children being treated as criminals, or potential criminals, these idiots are just itching to put more people in jail then they can say "I told you they're dangerous, we need more resources, etc.!" They can't control the kids, so, if they can't drug 'em up, they'll shut 'em up! We know who the REAL criminals are! Something's gonna go wrong and someone's gonna get sued, just wait. I hate to say it but it's inevitable! GRRRRR!!! :growl:

Sb :( I had to get a growl in, it's been awhile.

Archived