Blue Screen

lol, RS

Yeah, if I remember right, she dropped a wad of cash on it, and it was a blistering 33mhz :lol:

i remember in 95 or 96 i had a friend whose daughter was connecting to a bulletin board in wisconsin, and racked up 500 bones on their telephone bill!!! :sword: he was so mad at her. the time during which i knew him, she cost him over a grand in phone bills connecting to that bulletin board.

i remember when the internet was just a DOS type program. when i went to school at western mich univ, they taught us how to use the novell network, an email program. man! what a PITA that was! i remember looking at a black screen with red letters. you had to search to even find the message of the email. the internet was just people talking.

i remember having to go into DOS just to run programs on my mom's computer, which came in very handy later on when needing to fix her newer computers.

cd\ :lol:

Most computers sold with XP maynot be hardware ready for Win7, or even Vista. Always check the Window's Hardware compatibility first.

For example - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Upgrade advisor can let you know if your system will run Win 7

Learn to structure how you keep your important data - the Computer you use to browse the internet is always at risk. Keep your important files, photos, music, etc on a USB stick or external HDD. Keep the original install disk - if things go bad, you can restore the system to the way it was the day you brought it. Back up and duplicate.

Also, USB memory sticks can be easily destroyed verse the harddrive in your computer.

-DN

Congrats Trix, a lot of newbies to fixing computers choke on the amount of info thrown at you on the first page here alone.

In addition to what DN said.....Running a router with built in hardware firewall.....plus a software firewall on your computer, and an anti virus program, and an anti malware program will keep you pretty safe.

Running these on an older computer may be best to run them manually from time to time when your really bored, rather than having the dang thing want to run when ya just want to get online fast.

Cheers!

i remember when the internet was just a DOS type program. when i went to school at western mich univ, they taught us how to use the novell network, an email program. man! what a PITA that was! i remember looking at a black screen with red letters. you had to search to even find the message of the email. the internet was just people talking.

I remember when I first saw a real web page. The only computer that could run the software was an Apple. The software was call mosaic if I remember correctly. I said no one is ever going to put up with this BS. Back then a fast modem was 9600 baud so a web page with three or four pictures would take 20 minutes to download. I was convinced that the www thing would never beat gopher, ftp, and usenet. Just goes to show what I knew nothing.

Archived