Blue Screen

Well its been about 2 months or so now since I tried to update from windows xp, to windows 7.

With court and everything I was going through I didn't have time to get to my computer guys house before he moved, now I'm stuck with a non working PC.

Here is what happened, I didn't update any BIOS or anything, just put the win.7 install disk in and from there it did the rest, it restarted a few times during the install, then after one restart the windows logo popped up, then goes to blue screen with the error code;

Blue Screen STOP: 0x0000005C 0x0000010B, 0x00000003, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

I have goggled this error, and none of the answers are ones that I can do, cause my pc as it sits only gives me options to get into the BIOS, my question is what do I change in the BIOS to get it working again?

I've been using this old poopy pc, that needs a restore itself, please any help with be appreciated!!!

Trix :bong2:

Guest Medicinal Patient

Did you do a fresh install of win7? I don't believe you can just leap over vista and upgrade from xp to 7. I think you have to back up all your files and do the custom install. What happens when you try and boot from cd again? Is the drive recognizing any discs?

cant boot any disk's, power on, then it loads windows logo screen-at the bottom I can get into the BIOS, thats all shows like its about to turn on then blue screen..

Well I had JUST that same day, just installed over win.xp on my bro's computer.. everything worked fine.. just when you go to install win.7 it says "found another ops, and asks if you want to overwrite or something, dont recall exactly.. but we did the istall and it worked fine.. just didn't work on mine

I had enough specs for the win.7, my pc would have supported it. I think there is just something inside the BIOS that I need to change.. just don't know what..

Trix "bong2:

but I can't download or install anything... that's my issue. power's on stuck at blue screen

I only have the option to change the BIOS, like what hardware starts first, I don't know much about the BIOS side of the pc..

I have access to a second pc to do a walk through of how to fix, if anyone has instructions on adjusting the correct settings

Guest Medicinal Patient

Two summers ago I had a similar situation happen altho not as a result of an upgrade. I am not exactly sure if I got a virus or what but I had a family friend take it home and he thought it was a virus. It did what it did with you. Anywho, no discs would work in the drive and I thought the thing was shot. Then he popped in a bootable linux disc and surprisingly the drive could read that type of disc only. Whatever happened completely wiped everything I had on the pc right down to the factory settings. If you have a linux disc give it a shot. Maybe someone with linux experience could explain why the drive was able to allow it to boot. If you need a ubuntu and or kubuntu linux disc I got you covered and I can mail you one out this afternoon from Kentwood. Oh and I was never able to get out of the bios until I installed linux and then cleaned that partition and did a freshh custom install of win7. It wouldn't let me out of the bios because there was no operating system installed. I got completely wiped out. Maybe you have no os installed. If so its fixable. Good Luck I hope you get it fixed. If all else fails please try a linux disc.

Is the Win 7 disc still in the drive? If yes take it out, If No put it in. If still no joy read on.

First look at the manufacturers website for issues related to installing Win 7, A BIOS update may very well be required.

To possibly save hours/days of research, might first look at boot order in the BIOS, be sure it is set to boot first from DVD/CD drive (ATAPI, Optical, etc.) if this gets your PC booted from Win 7 disc...let it install again.

A possible solution would be to go into BIOS.

1. Look for BOOT order.....be sure DVD/CD drive is first. If there is a display Boot order screen...enable it so you can choose the DVD/CD drive or Hard drive when appropriate. If there is a Display start up/ quiet.....You want it to display so you can see it.

If you can now boot from Win 7 disc...do the install.....

2. Find in there the option to load BIOS defaults or fail safe defaults.

There may be tabs....if so most likely the save/exit tab will have the load defaults option, do that, then save/exit.

If you have a "proprietary" type of PC, HP, Dell, etc. it may very well be an update to the BIOS is needed. Check manufacturers website.

When searching in google for help, you can enter in the search words the make and model number of your PC to get specific help.

If you know the source of the BIOS ( Phoenix, Award, AMI) and version number you could search that too.

You can use the other pc to download any files needed, as long as you can copy them to a cd, or a floppy diskette that can transfer the files to the.

Is the Win 7 disc still in the drive? If yes take it out, If No put it in. If still no joy read on.

First look at the manufacturers website for issues related to installing Win 7, A BIOS update may very well be required.

To possibly save hours/days of research, might first look at boot order in the BIOS, be sure it is set to boot first from DVD/CD drive (ATAPI, Optical, etc.) if this gets your PC booted from Win 7 disc...let it install again.

A possible solution would be to go into BIOS.

1. Look for BOOT order.....be sure DVD/CD drive is first. If there is a display Boot order screen...enable it so you can choose the DVD/CD drive or Hard drive when appropriate. If there is a Display start up/ quiet.....You want it to display so you can see it.

If you can now boot from Win 7 disc...do the install.....

2. Find in there the option to load BIOS defaults or fail safe defaults.

There may be tabs....if so most likely the save/exit tab will have the load defaults option, do that, then save/exit.

If you have a "proprietary" type of PC, HP, Dell, etc. it may very well be an update to the BIOS is needed. Check manufacturers website.

When searching in google for help, you can enter in the search words the make and model number of your PC to get specific help.

If you know the source of the BIOS ( Phoenix, Award, AMI) and version number you could search that too.

You can use the other pc to download any files needed, as long as you can copy them to a cd, or a floppy diskette that can transfer the files to the.

:thumbsu: Gonna try that in a few minutes... thanks think thats what I was searching for for so long

Unplug everything USB (except keyboard), unplug serial, or parallel port printers or serial controllers, and try rebooting.

Also pull out any TV cards or other goodies; sometimes an extra cd burner can be the stop.

Press the "F8" key just before Windows screen pops up for Safe mode to see if it can boot with minimal hardware.

If that doesn't work - check bios first page and select "stop on Keyboard error" and turn that off.

Most BIOS are entered via pressing the "Del" key during initial post of the computer.

it isn't odd that you would experience a blue screen while upgrading to windows 7. the hardware requirements for 7 are much higher than for XP. Do you have a dual core processor? or better yet, is there an AMD or Intel sticker on your computer? what does it say? that will let us know. If you do not have a dual core processor, you may not be able to run windows 7. Many older CPU's cannot handle it. during your the very first portion of the windows 7 install is a hardware piece. maybe that's what happens when the hardware is coimpletely not going to work? try moving back to XP, if at all possible. then we can get a better idea of the hardware specs on your computer.

Get into the BIOS (F2 maybe) and make sure the computer boots from CD first. Make sure there is a bootable cd in the drive when you start the CPU.

When it fires up you will first have to delete the operating systems that are already installed before installing the win 7.

Hope this helps

Here is a good question, What is your computer? Processor, Ram, Hard Drive, Motherboard mostly. How old is it? Was it ever upgraded? Like 1337 said, Win 7 and even Vista take way more than XP to run. On my computer,I have win xp, I can upgrade but my computer would be 100x slower. If your computer will handle Win 7 then get into BIOS, switch your boot order to CD first, then restart your computer. Then do a fresh install. (just noticed Taj already suggested it) I would say never upgrade windows, always do a fresh install.

Unplug everything USB (except keyboard), unplug serial, or parallel port printers or serial controllers, and try rebooting.

Also pull out any TV cards or other goodies; sometimes an extra cd burner can be the stop.

Press the "F8" key just before Windows screen pops up for Safe mode to see if it can boot with minimal hardware.

If that doesn't work - check bios first page and select "stop on Keyboard error" and turn that off.

Most BIOS are entered via pressing the "Del" key during initial post of the computer.

I would start here. Just hit the f8 key repeatedly until the boot options come up, and then try "Safe Mode". If that works, reboot, do the same thing and try "safe Mode with networking". If that works, put it on your network and download new video drivers. I see this more than anything else, the video drivers are not Win7 compatible. If you can't find Win7 drivers for your video card, well, you might be stuck getting a new card. You should also look at all other devices on the PC to see if anything is failing to install drivers for.

Good luck.

Cedar

How is it going? You got a lot of good suggestions since I posted. Another thing that comes to mind is I have seem some installs have issues with SATA CDROM drives. If there is a setting in BIOS to use "Legacy IDE mode" that may allow you to get installed. If you give an idea where you are someone may be able to stop by and help.

I was just finishing up some work, now I'm gonna try and do as instructed.. been a busy day today..

Thank you all for the help for real I need my pc back up and running, seems most my life is done via internet anymore.

I will let you know where I get with my issue... thanks again you guys are great!!

ARRRRRGH sheet man this is frustrating.. I think it's beyond my realm of experience.

I thought I had it, I changed it so it boots from cd rom first it was floppy drive #1, switched all that booted up, no blue screen YAY!!!... Then I inserted the install disk and it began re installing, everything looked fine like it was gonna work, then BAM blue screen..

when I hit sys. restore this pops up;

Edit Boot Options

*********************************************************************************************************

Edit Windows boot options for: Windows Setup

Path: \$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 1

Hard Disk: 1549f232

Now from here there is a part that I can Edit; it read right now

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT /MININT ]

*********************************************************************************************************

does this info help anyone?

what can I type in there to get it to at least get back to where I can work.. safe mode, system restore back to xp or will I need a new copy of xp?

I read the updated bios stuff from Microsoft but I cant get that far I'm STUCK!!!!

I'm near the I-75 / 696 expressways, if anyone can help that's close. PM me please maybe we can work something out..

WHOO WOOO, I freaking got it!!

I did alot of messing around with alot of not knowing what im doing but figured it out..

lol

that's how i got started. i effed up my mom's computer in 1992, and had to fix it before she castrated me. since then, i've done a lot of "not knowing what i'm doing," and eventually it all started to make sense :thumbsu:

well I finally got XP to reinstall, windows gives you like a 3 second window literary blink and you miss yer chance to restore back to xp,

My issue now is I have to do that each time my pc restarts. w/e got it running for now, just won't shut er down endless she tells me otherwise.

Good news Trix! May things keep going in the right direction for you here.

Those computer problems can be, well, problematic! I am such a novice myself, I sympathize with your plight.

I've posted this before, but here is an updated picture from the MMM Program offices and their new system.

10-Hello_Computer.jpg

PC20frustration.gifcomputer_frustration.gifunclesam100-2.jpg

I've posted this before, but here is an updated picture from the MMM Program offices and their new system.

10-Hello_Computer.jpg<------------------------- HAHAHAHA

PC20frustration.gifcomputer_frustration.gifunclesam100-2.jpg

LMAO, 2 funny.. really can't wait to shake yer hand bish..

lol

that's how i got started. i effed up my mom's computer in 1992, and had to fix it before she castrated me. since then, i've done a lot of "not knowing what i'm doing," and eventually it all started to make sense :thumbsu:

Hilarious....

Around 1994 my old man brought home a laptop computer for work, which was kind of a big deal at the time. I used to download AOL from a diskette every night when my folks would go to bed.....mess around on 'the internet' all night and have to remove the AOL program in the morning before they woke up.

The computer probably had like 250 MB of memory and the program took up like 180 MB :lol:

Archived