Float Valves To Top Reservoir

Honeyoil

Hi All, I am setting up my grow room for ebb & flow. I have 7 5 gallon buckets fed by a 6 gallon control bucket. It as been suggested that I mix my nutes in my 50 Gal rez and use a float valve to continually top off the rez with RO water, then at the end of the week, I can add back in nutes to bring the rez up to the proper ppm.

BUT: Here is what I don't get: When the 7 5 gallon buckets and the 6 gallon bucket fill from the rez, it will be depleted by almost 40 gallons. So the float valve will be trying to fill the rez. In 15 minutes, the controller pumps the 40 gallons back to the rez (less maybe 1-2 gallons?). At that point couldn't there be more water in the rez then it will hold?

How does this work?

I use a similar system but more pots using 2 gallon buckets. Because the buckets also hold your grow medium, hydroton in my case, and the plant you won't actually use that much water for each flood. However it's probably not a good idea to automatically refill the rez like that. I just refill it as needed every other day or so. I change my rez every week and don't add more nutes during the week I let the ppm fall as the plants use nutes. Then obviously when I change the rez at the end of the week I start back at full strength.

I have 90* elbows inside my controller bucket with a short extention. keeps my buckets about 1/3 full all the time with LOTS of bubbles. pump kicks on, floods, drain, repeat. system holds 30 gallons +55 gal res. 14 buckets use 55 gal a week. I let it go till empty and start with new. I'd set up a seperate drum to collect/store the ro water and use/nute when needed

Archived