Macomb Imposes Moratorium On Medical Marijuana Sales, Dispensation

http://macomb.patch.com/articles/macomb-imposes-moratorium-on-medical-marijuana-sales-dispensation

Macomb Imposes Moratorium on Medical Marijuana Sales, Dispensation

A township ordinance has been enacted to initiate a moratorium on the issuance of any permits, licenses or approvals for the sale or dispensation of medical marijuana within township limits for the next six months.

Macomb Township's Board of Trustees voted Wednesday to adopt a township ordinance to initiate a moratorium on the issuance of any permits, licenses or approvals for the sale or dispensation of medical marijuana within township limits for the next six months.

The ordinance will go in effect following publication in The Macomb Daily and will remain in effect until October, when the board will have the option to extend it for another six months.

If extended, the ordinance will expire after one year, at which time the board will revisit the issue with the thought of enacting a more permanent solution.

“At the end (of one year), this ordinance will expire,” said clerk Michael Koehs. “Hopefully, during that time, this board will be able, along with the help of our legal counsel, to create and adopt an ordinance that regulates (medical marijuana)."

The temporary ordinance was enacted with the view that the township's present Code of Ordinances has not been updated to reflect recent court cases and the passing of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.

"We need to come to grips with the fact that there have been significant court cases on this matter and we just need to have all that reviewed before we decide how we’re going to control this and if we are going to control this through a township ordinance or any type of ordinance we see fit to enforce," Koehs said.

The ordinance maintains that it is within the rights of the township to "establish reasonable regulations to control the sale and dispensation of medical marijuana in order to protect the public health, safety and welfare" and to do so in a manner consistent with the MMMA.

Caregivers that don't have access to lab like conditions will be finished also.

That sucks. Does that include patients that are their own caregivers and just want to grow their own?

[sidenote] Thank You BlueBerry and MMMA staff. I am sort of new here but have been doing a lot of reading here. I know that you guys are tired but I just wanted to say that I appreciate all that you and this community are doing for us sickies. If you guys ever need help, I'm here.

I have never sent a letter to support keeping caregivers and patients and do it separate from dispensaries. How do I do it? Use the mail-o-matic I see here as a post? I'm in SW Detroit and have no idea who my representative, senator is or how to contact. Maybe I'm the only such one on here, but I think not as I know a buddy in Dearborn who doesn't know such either and doesn't even own a computer.

The Macomb Township supervisor is on record in the local paper 6 months ago as saying "we don't want anybody growing this stuff in their basements or anything like that".

So the township's intention is obvious. How they go about shoving it down everyone's throats is yet to be determined.

On the lobbying side, I am demanding that they give this law the constitutional protection it deserves. I told them that if any adverse legislation is passed, we would sue. I want the two issues kept separate(Dispensaries/pt/cg). That is my strategy. Thanks, Bb

thanks so much blueberry.. I am sending you a boatload of strength and i hope it makes it to you safely..

I also want the two issues kept seperate and beleive wholeheartedly that they are seperate.. I have never read anywhere in the law any mention of dispensaries..I have read that pts and caregivers are protected from arrest,persecution, prosecution, forfeiture, harrasment, loss of priveledge,, Im not sure i believe it but thats what i read..

The state will put in place a set of regulations this fall that will eliminate 90% of the dispensaries/coops/farmers markets. Caregivers that don't have access to lab like conditions will be finished also. If I had the support of the community, I might be able to seperate us from commercial. We have 3 weeks and six days to get our act together. It is appropiate that the struggle is now in your hands. You will have the opportunity to win. It is your decision.

What is the number and name of this bill? Where can I read the full text?

Archived