A Couple Questions About Making Butter

Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to make some butter - my 3rd batch. The other times I didn't soak the trim to remove chlorophyll, so the butter was green & had a funky kind of nutty, earthy taste, but it helped the nausea & pain, also helped with sleep :thumbsu: This time I will be soaking the leaves first!

So my questions are: do you have a preference whether to use Small Crystally leaves only, or all the leaves (including the big suckers).

And the other question is, does it make a difference whether the leaves are dry or wet?

Thanks!

Wet or dry either is fine.. dry will make a less strong tasting butter..

I also use all the types of leaves.. the fan leaves (suckers) have more of the cbds and cbns. The anti-inflamatories. They are super helpful for pain relief.

I use.. 1 gallon baggie of dried fan leaves...

1 cup sugar leaves or trim

3 grams high quality bud.. ground

for 2 lbs butter..

cook all of that together with 2 quarts water for 3 hours keeping your temps at 200 or just under.. Strain your mix in a regular strainer... put the water and butter together into the refidgerater over night.. seperate and decide if you want to wash it.. Peace be unto you..

Guest Happy Guy

If your butter is too strong green tasting for you, get some cheese cloth and strain it through there until it is more to your liking. Strain it as many times as it takes for your taste. You will have less but it will be 'less green'.

I have had better success with washing the butter after as opposed to soaking the leaves for the chlorophyl removal. Here is an excerpt from a message as to my method. (keep in mind that the quantities in the excerpt are different than yours).

bear in mind that the effect from edibles is different than from smoking or vaping. Edibles produce more of a sedative or narcotic effect as opposed to a heady buzz. Personally, i think its more accurate to describe edibles as effective rather than potent.

They can be of average potency for daily ingestion if your incorporating cannabis as a regular component into your diet. this is an effective way and i know several patients that do this including myself to improve overall health.

I have found personally that the larger the dose, the more effective they are for periods of rest, in the evening before bed, or during the day for a nap, but the effects can be almost longer lasting than intended.

so with that being said, how are you looking to use edibles? I know this seems like a lot of extra bs, but edibles almost need to customized so to speak for the individual. If you have found them ineffective in the past then either your body metabolizes the medicine to quickly for you to "feel" the effect (the medicine is still working), or the edibles you had weren't prepared efficiently. the cookies i dropped off at the court that day were more daily dose so to speak, and 2-3 would have had a deeper effect.

The base recipes that i use are the same for all my edibles as far as initial potency. After that, i incoporate other forms to increase effectiveness. (hash, kief, or even canna flour) I also take extra steps while im processing and when they are finished to remove as much of the chlorophyll as i can and improve flavor .

The amount you have is perfect. you will be able to do quite a bit with it if processed properly :)

I would recommend a dry ice extraction (simple, cheap) with about 35 grams first to produce kief/hash. after that use the plant material and the remaining 14g in a small crock-pot with 1 pound of unsalted butter and 2 cups of water on low overnight. Be warned It will smell fierce and there is no way to effectively get rid of the odor. Kinda like cooking a turkey. the next day, strain through cheesecloth in a strainer into a container (clear if possible) and let cool on the counter for 30 minutes then transfer to fridge for 4-6 hours until it separates and hardens.

There will be 3 layers:

cannabutter-top

milk solids-middle

water-bottom

You may not see the solids "layer" sometimes its more like a goop that sticks to the butter layer- youll see it as it "crumbles" off of the bottom. at this point its ready to go. But if you take the hardened butter, put it into a pot on the stove with 3-4 cups of water, and bring it to about 200 degrees for about 10 minutes, try not to let it boil, the medicine will vaporize. back in the fridge to harden, repeat until the color is lighter and more to your liking.

hello all im interested in this butter making thing my self and am toatally not exp so in reading this im lost with a couple of things like the post by hempchef whats the dry ice method thing or the post about washing butter how do i wash butter also can the recipe be muiltiply up if the ingredients stay at the same reatios and any other info someone can help with would be greatly appreciated thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for the info!

Annie, thanks for posting the link jto the other butter thread that was really helpful too. Also about the anti-inflammatory properties of fan-leaves. I really need anti-inflammatories right now, I'm having tendon inflammation & can't take NSAIDS because of stomach issues. So this time I used a mix of fan leaves, smaller leaves & buds. Wet, and I don't really know how much - 1/2 a big orange bowl full, probably equivalent to a gallon baggie.

The taste, not too good if I use the green butter like on a waffle. But when I bake it in bread, it blends right in and I don't taste it at all, so guess it depends how I use it. I think the cinnamon in the bread helps.

Hempcheff, do I understand right, that the dry ice kief extraction is to save the kief for other uses? I am going to try washing the butter this time, as mentioned in the last paragraph of your post & by others as well.

I'v been eating about 3 pieces of bread a day - noon, afternoon and evening. They work with my pain pills, helping the pills work better & longer, muscle relaxation & I've been sleeping longer at night instead of waking up all the time. Works good. Really like it!

The dry ice method for hash making is ideal, there are several videos on the process, most vary slightly. I use an old lettuce crisper and my 220 bubblebag. I load the bowl with material, add about 1 cup of dry ice nuggets (it comes block or nuggs), put the bag over the bowl and twist the bag around the bowl, stretching the screen and providing a makeshift handle. Flip over and vigorously shake the container for several minutes, tapping the edge to dislodge any kief that sticks to the screen. there will be some waste, dont stress :) take the bowl/bag to another area to disassemble, as plant material will likely fall out.

as far as cooking with it, i use the plant matter left to make butter, but i also incorporate roughly 1/2 gr of keif per serving into each dose. or you can smoke the kief, or do whatever with it. I like the ability to incorporate it while im cooking, as it tends to even out the variables a little as far as effectiveness.

WARNING< THIS METHOD PRODUCES A LOT OF FINE MATERIAL THAT WILL SPREAD OVER A LARGE AREA<WARNING

Hi everyone, thanks for the info!

Annie, thanks for posting the link jto the other butter thread that was really helpful too. Also about the anti-inflammatory properties of fan-leaves. I really need anti-inflammatories right now, I'm having tendon inflammation & can't take NSAIDS because of stomach issues. So this time I used a mix of fan leaves, smaller leaves & buds. Wet, and I don't really know how much - 1/2 a big orange bowl full, probably equivalent to a gallon baggie.

The taste, not too good if I use the green butter like on a waffle. But when I bake it in bread, it blends right in and I don't taste it at all, so guess it depends how I use it. I think the cinnamon in the bread helps.

Hempcheff, do I understand right, that the dry ice kief extraction is to save the kief for other uses? I am going to try washing the butter this time, as mentioned in the last paragraph of your post & by others as well.

I'v been eating about 3 pieces of bread a day - noon, afternoon and evening. They work with my pain pills, helping the pills work better & longer, muscle relaxation & I've been sleeping longer at night instead of waking up all the time. Works good. Really like it!

Im really glad to hear you like it and its working for you.. just wash it up to make it taste better.. HUGGS..

I honestly never heard of soaking the trim... and I guess I always thought that using water would re-constitute the plants "juices" including the chlorophyll... I just used very dry buds coarsely chopped and butter in the crockpot-- with good results... I strain it thru a gold mesh coffee filter-- then through a piece of silkscreen fabric.

I may have to try the water-added method!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ive never soaked my trim I have use the method with water and with out water I like to do it with out the water now personally I like to use just butter I get the grade AA and put it in the crockpot and leave it on worm for a day and sture it when ever I felt like it, my butter is green in color and has the earth sell but I can get it on toste works great and when bakeing with it you can't even taste it, they reasion I like doing it this way is because of less clean up just strain it in to the bowl and let it cool then in to the frige, last time I made butter I use the stuff with the oil in the butter "betty crocker" I believe that way I could keep the oil to use also and it seamed to work great also but didn't get much butter form it and the butter will not really harded up eather but still works for me

Archived