Tinctures And Budder

I've read several post on this site and others about how to make a tincture.

Just about everything I've read suggests using dry trim....my question is do I dry it out like the bud?? Paper bag it?? What??

I saw a video on making the canna capsules and he put the bud in the oven for 20 min at 220 deg. to remove chlorophyll: some post recommend soaking the trim in water to remove the chlorophyll (doesn't this defeat the purpose of having the trim dry??)

Also there is the debate over glycerine/everclear. Where do you buy glycerine?

One more thing....after straining out the trim for the tincture, can that same trim be used to make budder or best for use as salve?

Thanks in advance for your input. Peace!

trim is just tossed in to a paperbag to dry, not as complex as drying buds.

You are drying the trim to make the trim chemically stable, since you are doing the cheap paperbag dry, it does little to remove chorophyll.

Chlorophyll is water based, so alcohol tinctures can get color from it, but the taste of chlorophyll is almost nonexistant. When making oils, since chlorophyll is water based, it does not transfer to the oil.

Both are mostly using the trichromes on the trim, rather than the content of the leafy matter. Once you are finish with the soak, oil or alcohol - throw the material away, don't reuse, its garbage. If you are going to make medicine, why make it weak?

Both your tincture and oils should be clear from sediment and while it is somewhat green, darker green does not mean you made it stronger. The potentcy will depend on the quality of trim and genetics of the plant.

Most people make caps without much prep than just drying the trim or bud in a paperbag, then grinding it up.

Glycerine - vitamin and health stores, pharmacy

I have found the tutorial recipes on this site for both alcohol and glycerine tinctures to be very easy to follow and based on the potency of your medicine, so goes your tincture. Also agree with The Digital Nomad about finding glycerin. I was able to secure Everclear 190 Proof for the alcohol tincture base. I then put together the glycerin based tincture, what a relief from the alcohol burn. A wonderful product for that quick pain relief. Good Luck.

trim is just tossed in to a paperbag to dry, not as complex as drying buds.

You are drying the trim to make the trim chemically stable, since you are doing the cheap paperbag dry, it does little to remove chorophyll.

Chlorophyll is water based, so alcohol tinctures can get color from it, but the taste of chlorophyll is almost nonexistant. When making oils, since chlorophyll is water based, it does not transfer to the oil.

Both are mostly using the trichromes on the trim, rather than the content of the leafy matter. Once you are finish with the soak, oil or alcohol - throw the material away, don't reuse, its garbage. If you are going to make medicine, why make it weak?

Both your tincture and oils should be clear from sediment and while it is somewhat green, darker green does not mean you made it stronger. The potentcy will depend on the quality of trim and genetics of the plant.

Most people make caps without much prep than just drying the trim or bud in a paperbag, then grinding it up.

Glycerine - vitamin and health stores, pharmacy

I was thinking of doing dry ice extraction on the trim and then making a glycerin based tincture with the extracted trichs.

I'm thinking this would greatly decrease processing time for the tincture by essentially eliminating the soak time.

Also, I think it would allow for more consistent med content in the tincture, being that the amount of trichs put into the tincture is controlled.

Admittedly there could be variation in potency of the trichs from different plants/grows, but let's just control one variable at a time.

Thoughts anyone?

Archived