I Guess I'm Confused

I read this story and guess I am confused.

More moo poo

SAGINAW TWP. — A suburban medical marijuana center will shut down a storefront by Aug. 14 under a court settlement reached Monday.

Saginaw Township cited Piotr J. Chrobak, who operates Marijuana Medical Center of Saginaw, 3130 Christy Way North, Suite 2, with a civil infraction of violating the zoning ordinance and operating without a business license, court records show.

At a hearing before Saginaw County District Judge Terry L. Clark, Chrobak with his attorney agreed to shut down the location within 20 days from Monday.

Chrobak said he spent thousands of dollars to obtain permits to bring the building up to code, as the suburb demanded.

“I don’t find it fair, I’ll tell you that much,” he said after the hearing.

The suburb claimed Chrobak never turned in a site plan. Moreover, the township contended a business license can’t be issued to grow or sell marijuana in a commercial district because the drug remains illegal under the federal controlled substance act, and state law cannot supersede federal law.

Within hours of the hearing, Chrobak said the center had stopped growing marijuana in the building and that marijuana products were moved to an undisclosed location. He said he had asked for a business license in the past.

Chrobak said he’s a state licensed medical marijuana caregiver operating a nonprofit dispensing the controlled substance to certified, card-carrying medical marijuana patients. Michigan voters OK’d the use of marijuana for medicinal use in November 2008.

“The vast majority of people voted for medical marijuana because they wanted to help people who are ailing and sick and needed some form of alternative treatment,” said Bridget Smith, township assistant director of community development. “I don’t think when people voted for medical marijuana that they thought storefronts should be popping up where they’re growing, processing and distributing marijuana.”

Smith said Chrobak was told the suburb’s rules before he opened and when an inspection showed building code issues.

“We told him that numerous times because we thought it was a gutsy move to invest all that money,” she said. “If anything we were very forthcoming with him in what the eventual outcome would be.”

Said Chrobak: “They never said they would allow it, they never said they wouldn’t allow it if I brought everything up to code.”

Township Attorney Mark T. Mahlberg told the judge authorities will dismiss the citation when Chrobak complies but could reissue a civil infraction of operating a marijuana dispensary in violation of zoning if the defendant does not comply.

A township police officer indicated he would inspect the site in 20 days.

Chrobak said he hopes to reopen inside the North Christy Way building if the state Court of Appeals rules in a pending case in favor of medical marijuana “collectives”and their right to operate. In the interim, he said he’ll continue to pay rent at the site. He also indicated he would continue to serve the five patients he’s permitted to as a caregiver under state law. He declined to say how many patients the center or its employees treat.

Clients use marijuana to treat cancer, brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, pain and a multitude of other ailments, he said.

“It’s not just about smoking marijuana,” he said.

Chrobak said he’s “turned people down” who he suspected wanted the drug for recreational use.

Midland attorney Donna Beasley-Gibson, who represented Chrobak, said the medical marijuana center kept use of the drug out of neighborhoods and in a centralized, safe location for patients.

“They’re following the state law,” said Frank S. Mattei, 36, of Canton, who attended the hearing. “Why are they getting prosecuted?”

Republican state lawmakers have introduced medical marijuana legislation they say would eliminate confusion and clarify the law. Detractors have chided the reforms as a way to restrict access and hurt patients.

“The vast majority of people voted for medical marijuana because they wanted to help people who are ailing and sick and needed some form of alternative treatment,” said Bridget Smith, township assistant director of community development. “I don’t think when people voted for medical marijuana that they thought storefronts should be popping up where they’re growing, processing and distributing marijuana.”

I know when I voted for it I assumed the marijuana would just appear in my hands. My god, did you know that people are growing, processing, AND distributing it?

Also, just about everyone else I know who voted for it saw this whole dispensary thing coming from a mile away. But I guess Bridget Smith knows whats going on in our minds better than we do. If only I had her around to make all of my decisions for me, hell, even think my thoughts for me, then everything would be perfect.

Sorry. In a bad mood today...

Archived