Legislators Facing Pile Of Pot Bills

How any one would for vote for barely functioning illiterates to hold sway over their person is beyond my understanding.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

- Goethe

http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/2011/08/26/news/doc4e5826ad1c97c126403162.txt?viewmode=fullstory

State lawmakers Mike and Eileen Kowall, both White Lake Republicans, each are connected with a bill addressing medical marijuana.

Sen. Mike Kowall’s bill, which is expected to be finished within the month, focuses on the marijuana product.

“If medical marijuana is being used, there is no regulation on how it’s grown,” said Mike.

His wife, Eileen, a state representative, has a bill in the hopper that deals with growing facilities.

“It would allow local municipalities to decide if they want one in their community or not,” she said.

As Labor Day approaches and the Legislature returns from its summer break, 16 medical marijuana-related bills await decisions, according to a list prepared by the Marijuana Policy Project, online at www.mpp.org/states/michigan.

Add to that pile recent medical marijuana rulings from courts and Attorney General Bill Schuette’s opinions.

It’s a lot to digest.

State Rep. Chuck Moss, R-Birmingham, said the Legislature is “long overdue” in making decisions on medical marijuana.

“I’m hoping the Legislature gets to work on it,” he said. “(The regulations) have got to be codified.”

State Rep. Marty Knollenberg, R-Troy, said he is aware of the many bills under consideration.

“I believe we’ll take them up this fall,” he said.

Several Oakland County legislators have latched onto some aspect of medical marijuana regulation.

State Rep. Tim Melton, D-Pontiac, said the drug should be handled by pharmacists.

“It makes sense to me,” he said. “People just don’t set up Xanax shops, for example. It’s properly dispensed.”

State Rep. Gail Haines, R-Lake Angelus, said she has sponsored a bill that requires cardholders to have picture ID on their cards.

“Constituents recognize that the original act was not written as well as it could be,” she said. “I’m interested in clarifying the bill so that innocent people (who need it) will benefit from the drug.”

Knollenberg is backing a bill that says anyone with a felony would be prohibited from being a caregiver.

“Some folks who got into the (medical marijuana) business loosely interpreted the law,” he said. “It’s a risky business to begin with because you’re dealing with a narcotic. Before I’d get into the business, I’d want to make sure it was legal.”

State Sen. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, said he isn’t committing himself right now to any particular bill.

“I want to make sure not to oppose the will of the voters,” he said. “I’m interested in making sure we don’t spend the new few years with everybody in court. We should try and refine it so people know what is allowed and what is not.”

Mike Kowall favors more regulation.

“It’s like the Wild West now,” he said.

But Kowall said one of the impediments is that medical marijuana advocates are disorganized and have not chosen one spokesperson.

“If we have a meeting, a variety of people show up, including some who have just finished smoking a joint in the parking lot,” he said.

“You can smell it on them. That’s not a good way of developing policy.”

When i read that last night on the op site. I did not if I should cry or laugh. These two are unbelievable look up there Ignorant ways they are consistent.

its amazing you can have educations and degrees yet know no common sense.

And if you notice the majority if not all being out spoken are the R people.

Come on your voted for and Elected D's Will you Please stand up !!!!!!!!

“If we have a meeting, a variety of people show up, including some who have just finished smoking a joint in the parking lot,” he said. “You can smell it on them. That’s not a good way of developing policy.”

Very Important fact to keep note of, should you find yourself in the situation of being able to speak with a government employee or Law Maker.

If you dont want to be seen, and treated like a pothead, you need to not ACT, and carry on like a Pot Head.

“It would allow local municipalities to decide if they want one in their community or not,” she said.

Yes, good idea, they should also be able to decide if diabetics can use insulin in thier commumity.

State Rep. Tim Melton, D-Pontiac, said the drug should be handled by pharmacists.

Staggering ignorance. I am actualy feeling embarrassed for him, and a Democrat at that.

Very Important fact to keep note of, should you find yourself in the situation of being able to speak with a government employee or Law Maker.

If you dont want to be seen, and treated like a pothead, you need to not ACT, and carry on like a Pot Head.

Zap is right.

Sb

Archived