Gov. Snyder Endorses Former U.s. Rep. Pete Hoekstra

In our opinion U S Rep Rick Hoekstra should not be endorsed for U.S. Senate; to date, in our opinion his record does not support the MMMA.

one example is that he Voted YES on prohibiting needle exchange & medical marijuana in DC.

[...], among other provisions, [...] the bill prohibits the use of federal funds for needle exchange programs and prohibits implementing an approved ballot initiative to legalize the medicinal use of marijuana.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two former rivals joined hands Monday with the hopes of putting a U.S. Senate seat back in Republican hands in the 2012 election.

In front of about 100 supporters in a Southfield auditorium, Gov. Rick Snyder endorsed former U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra's bid to take on U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, a Democrat who is serving her second term after beating incumbent Republican Spencer Abraham in 2000.

The meeting was unusual because last year at this time, Hoekstra had just finished second to Snyder after a bruising GOP gubernatorial primary. Snyder went on to win the governor's job in the November general election.

It was that race which prompted Snyder to offer his support to Hoekstra, the governor said.

"Through the campaign process, I gained a lot of respect for Pete. He is a true fiscal conservative. This guy even slept on his couch in his office," Snyder said. "He's a person of the highest integrity, and I consider him a friend."

Hoekstra of Holland said he wants the job, in part, to help reform and strengthen the relationship between Washington, D.C., and the states.

"We've had a great start in the state. But Michigan needs to be in a partnership with Washington, D.C., in terms of philosophy and fiscal discipline," he said.

The endorsement highlighted a split in the Republican Party. Though Hoekstra has gotten support from a slew of party leaders, three former state party chairs -- Betsy DeVos, Abraham and Saul Anuzis -- offered their support to former charter school executive Clark Durant earlier this month.

Durant, in a statement released Monday morning, congratulated Hoekstra on getting Snyder's support, but also said it was time to win the seat for the "American Way," rather than the Washington way that Hoekstra represents after serving 18 years in Congress.

Hoekstra said he understands how Washington works, but that doesn't make him an insider.

"I've never been a friend to Washington, D.C., or expanding D.C.," he said. "This race is not about beating up on Republicans; because the ultimate prize is not winning the primary, it's winning the Senate race in November."

Also in the race are former Kent County Probate Judge Randy Hekman, Roscommon businessman Peter Konetchy and conservative activist Gary Glenn.

Contact Kathleen Gray: 313-223-4407 or kgray99@freepress.com

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder considers his former primary opponent Pete Hoekstra a friend and the right person to join the U.S. Senate.

“We need the best, and that’s why I’m proud to be here today to endorse Pete Hoekstra,” Snyder said this morning at a press conference in Southfield. “It’s a great opportunity because he’s a person -- through the campaign process -- I gained a lot of respect for in recognition that he is the right person for this position."

Hoekstra, a former U.S. Representative who competed with Snyder for the Republican gubernatorial nomination last year, is considered the early GOP front-runner to challenge Democrat Sen. Debbie Stabenow in 2012.

“There are two very, very different visions for Americans; different visions for Washington, and we will bring out that stark contrast in a way that is dignified to show our respect for the voters of Michigan," Hoekstra said regarding Stabenow.

Snyder said he intends to be active helping Hoekstra win the campaign.

“He brings a complete fleet of experience from both the government sector and the private sector," Snyder said. "That’s the combination we need in today’s world.”

The five-person Republican field also includes Detroit charter school executive Clark Durant, former Kent County Probate Judge Randy Hekman, Roscommon businessman Peter Konetchy and Midland resident Gary Glenn, president of the American Family Association of Michigan.

Durant, who plans to formally announce his own campaign next month in downtown Detroit, released a statement this morning congratulating Hoekstra on the endorsement while subtly referring to him as a government insider.

"I congratulate Pete and encourage everyone to follow the Governor's lead by picking a candidate of your own choice, and then volunteering to help that person," Durant said. "But, if we are going to change Washington, let's work for The American Way, not the Washington way."

Hoekstra, in response to a question regarding the accusation, said that unlike Stabenow, he has “never been a friend of Washington DC.”

“It’s not about being a Washington insider or being a Washington outsider," he said. "Clearly I understand how Washington works, which means I can be a real catalyst for bringing change to Washington DC.”

Hoekstra said he fought against larger government, "Obamacare," spending, higher taxes and stimulus packages.

“You will find Debbie Stabenow was clearly on the side of Washington D.C. each and everytime," he said. "If you take a look at those same issues that we were addressing, you will see each and every time I was on the other side.”

Pete Hoekstra is a flaming a-hole just like his buddy Rick (The Prick) Snyder. They both think they know what is best for you and are more than willing to shove it down your throat even if you don't want it. Pete Hoekstra is also buddies with John (Phuck Michigan!) Engler the man who was instrumental in destroying our state via his Republican policies. It is my fervent desire that Pete Hoekstra stumbles in his Dutch wooden clogs and breaks his friggin neck.

Pete Hoekstra is a flaming a-hole just like his buddy Rick (The Prick) Snyder. They both think they know what is best for you and are more than willing to shove it down your throat even if you don't want it. Pete Hoekstra is also buddies with John (Phuck Michigan!) Engler the man who was instrumental in destroying our state via his Republican policies. It is my fervent desire that Pete Hoekstra stumbles in his Dutch wooden clogs and breaks his friggin neck.

So you want him to stumble in his "sabots" and break his friggin neck. Thank you for the honest post :) I still remember what those shoes were called from my readings. Thanks again.

He is also an enemy to the common working Michigander and, Americans who still have a job or house! He wants to repeal Dodd-Frank in-order to give Wall Street full reign as he said, 'Like they did, just one more time" So they get another chance to completely destroy our country for a buck!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/pete-hoekstra-repeal-wall-street-reform-dodd-frank_n_940818.html

Archived