Timer Failed During Bloom

strangluv

I'm 3 weeks into flowering (since 8/15) and have seen fairly healthy bud development up until now.

Sadly my light timer failed causing (possibly) up to 80 hours of uninterrupted light.

I understand that the plants may revert or have reverted to a veg stage, which might be "OK" as I am using trellises for an even canopy. I also realize I may see hermies, I'll keep watching, However my Qs are -

Anything else I should worry about?

Is there anything I can do to minimize the damage(besides proper 12/12 cycles) to ensure that the plants return to bloom ASAP?

If they hermie when might I first see male organs? and how long do I have to cut and kill them before they spread pollen?

I assume I will be doing a harvest of the early blooms around 10/15, will their be a second date ~60 days after the new bloom beginning date? would I call that 9/7?

I have a door that has to be closed every night when the girls go to bed. Sometimes I forget and can miss by anywhere up to several hours. It does not seem to have any negative impact. but eighty hours is a whole other story. all you can do is wait and see what happens. good luck

I have a door that has to be closed every night when the girls go to bed. Sometimes I forget and can miss by anywhere up to several hours. It does not seem to have any negative impact. but eighty hours is a whole other story. all you can do is wait and see what happens. good luck

No kidding new room, new lights, new timers, major league f up, long story, I'm just trying to survive with some kind of meds in this first grow in the new place.

Guest Mr_Smith

I would recommend you go out and buy some Dutch Master Reverse as well as the Saturator Gold. That is the best prevetion you have against hermies at this point.

Return them to their normal 12/12 schedule.

You should be ok..

I recently lost lights for 36 hours during bloom and about the same stage just had some stretching. But depends on genetics I would think. May cause some buds to mature earlier than the rest. Maybe a more selective harvest, let your eyes be your judge.

Guest Mr_Smith

They can however stop hermie production if the plant is a stress induced hermie. A genetic hermie cannot be fixed.

I have a pretty good idea who you are sir :lol:

Please tell me more about those products named above.

Ok there is a big difference between having no light in flowering and having continuous light. No light for a couple of days will likely slow down growth but not affect flowering. The light being on is not so great. as above keep an eye out on those girls until you determine that things are ok.

I thought about it and here is a failsafe. This is not perfect. But why not get one of those timed light strips and then put a timer on it. The idea being that you have something that will shut off the lights one way or the other. Of course have one timer a couple of minutes behind the other. This still leaves you susceptible to failure. Those mechanical timer do fail. Some fairly quickly others might be years.

Also lets say your power goes out. You might want to make sure that the lights cannot go back on for 20 minutes. Supposedly that hot restart shortens their life. There are devices that prevent restart for twenty minutes out there. Also if this happens you might want to pull theplug on your computers until the power is restored. I had a comp board blow out once that way that really sucked. (yes I had a surge protector but...

If anyone has any info on very reliable industrial level timers. I would like to suggest a post on it. Sometimes buying high quality is the way to go. Failure of a 15 buck device costing you a crop is obviously something to be avoided.

As for timers, I'd just recommend a decent $15 digital that has a battery backup. That way you can lose power but stay on the same schedule.

This product will protect your bulbs from a hot restart: http://www.randmsupply.com/productdisp.php?pid=77&navid=5

If you have an electronic ballast, you shouldn't need it since they have internal circuitry that monitors the power supply and automatically prevent hot restarts (I know my Galaxy does this).

I thought about it and here is a failsafe. This is not perfect. But why not get one of those timed light strips and then put a timer on it. The idea being that you have something that will shut off the lights one way or the other. Of course have one timer a couple of minutes behind the other. This still leaves you susceptible to failure. Those mechanical timer do fail. Some fairly quickly others might be years.

Also lets say your power goes out. You might want to make sure that the lights cannot go back on for 20 minutes. Supposedly that hot restart shortens their life. There are devices that prevent restart for twenty minutes out there. Also if this happens you might want to pull theplug on your computers until the power is restored. I had a comp board blow out once that way that really sucked. (yes I had a surge protector but...

If anyone has any info on very reliable industrial level timers. I would like to suggest a post on it. Sometimes buying high quality is the way to go. Failure of a 15 buck device costing you a crop is obviously something to be avoided.

The problem with that idea is when the timer on the powerstrip turns off, the clock on the other timer would stop. I suppose that one could have a battery backup, but it all seems overly complicated.

The cheapest, best industrial timer is a hot water heater timer. They are rated to like 50 amps and last for decades.

electric-water-heater-timer.jpg

Archived