Grand Prix Coming Back To The D

DETROIT, Mich. (Nov. 17, 2011) - Tickets for the 2012 Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix will go on sale to the public on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011 and prices will remain the same as they were four years ago for the last Grand Prix event in Detroit.

World-class auto racing will return to the Motor City the weekend of June 1-3, 2012 as the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix will roar through the streets of Belle Isle Park for the first time since 2008. The action-packed weekend will feature four premiere racing series competing on the 2.1-mile road course at Belle Isle. The cars of the IZOD IndyCar Series, the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series, the Pirelli World Challenge Championship Series and the Firestone Indy Lights Series will all race at the Grand Prix to wave the green flag on summertime in Detroit.

Tickets for the three-day event can be purchased by calling 1-866-464-PRIX (7749), by visiting the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix office located in suite 2311, above the Wintergarden in the GM Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit or online at www.DetroitGP.com beginning Nov. 22.

Several ticket plan options will be available for purchase including, single-day, two-day or three-day "super" reserved grandstand ticket packages. Hospitality plans, garage/paddock passes, general admission tickets and wheelchair accessible seating for the Grand Prix may also be purchased starting next Tuesday.

The Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix will once again offer one of the best values in entertainment as ALL tickets will be priced the same or below the levels they were for the last Grand Prix event on Belle Isle in 2008.

Team Penske IndyCar drivers Helio Castroneves - the three-time Indy 500 champion, 2000 and 2001 Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix winner and former Dancing with the Stars champ - and Will Power - series runner-up and Road Course champion in both 2010 and 2011 - will visit Detroit to celebrate tickets going on sale. Castroneves and Power will actually be on site at the Grand Prix office in downtown Detroit the morning of Nov. 22 to field calls from ticket buyers and help sell tickets to the event.

"In both 2007 and 2008 the Grand Prix welcomed over 100,000 fans to Detroit over the course of the three-day weekend," said Bud Denker, Event Chairman of the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix. "This is a great event for the Motor City and all of southeast Michigan and we will provide even more family entertainment and great racing for our fans as we bring the Grand Prix back to Belle Isle. Our region has been through some difficult times the past few years and we are excited to keep ticket prices the same as they were four years ago and we encourage everyone to secure their seats early and take advantage of the opportunity to buy your tickets from Helio or Will on November 22nd."

The Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix is a 501©3 and a subsidiary of the Downtown Detroit Partnership. The event will be held June 1-3, 2012 and will include the Chevrolet Detroit Indy Grand Prix presented by ShopAutoWeek.com featuring the cars of the IZOD IndyCar Series, the Chevrolet GRAND-AM Detroit 200 at Belle Isle presented by the Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers with the sports cars of the GRAND-AM Rolex Series, the Cadillac V-Series Challenge presented by the Metro Detroit Cadillac Dealers featuring the cars of the Pirelli World Challenge Championship Series and the Firestone Indy Lights Series. For more information, visit www.DetroitGP.com and follow our social media pages at www.facebook.com/detroitgp and www.twitter.com/detroitgp.

In its early years, I was a volunteer with the Grand Prix. Five years at Woodward/Jefferson. This was the most dangerous curve of the course. The only problem I had was with a police officer who pulled his gun on me because I would not let him and his family into this highly restricted area (children were not allowed in the area, and only officers with special permits were to be in the circuit). I wanted to complain, so I demanded to speak with his commander.

The people working with me disappeared, thinking I had dug a hole and would be in trouble. As the commander approached, the officer snickered, as if my but was in the bag. The officer was totally wrong and was reprimanded on site. He came bake later and threatened me, that's when I told him that the commander and I went back thirty years; he-he.

I'm glad the race is returning, but I don't like it on the Isle.

Archived