California Chapter Of The American Society Of Addiction  Medicines Calls For Legalization And Regulations.

California Chapter of the American Society of Addiction Medicines Calls for legalization and regulations.

San Francisco, CA--(ENEWSPF)--November 23, 2011. The California chapter of the American Society of Addiction Medicines (ASAM) has issued a paper calling for the legalization and regulation of the adult use of cannabis.

http://www.enewspf.c...-marijuana.html

The preliminary paper, entitled 'Youth First: Reconstructing Drug Policy, Regulating Marijuana, and Increasing Access to Treatment in California,' was initially presented at CSAM's State of the Art Conference in October.

It states: "Adolescents in California have easy access to purchasing and using marijuana. California's current medical marijuana laws have not had significant impact on access, and have made physicians de facto gatekeepers for access to both medical and recreational cannabis. CSAM therefore recommends that the best course at this point is to replace the current system of medical marijuana dispensaries and physician recommendations with a more strictly regulated system in which physicians are no longer gatekeepers for access, and fees and taxes from marijuana sales preferentially support education, prevention, and intervention for youth with marijuana-related problems."

Authors add: "A system of constructive regulation will assure that individuals are never jailed solely for possession or use of marijuana, more youth will be kept in school through community-based education, prevention and early intervention; and, referral to treatment will occur when needed. ... CSAM will support a system of marijuana regulation if sufficient funds from tax and fee revenues are sequestered and directed toward a multi-level Youth First program."

CSAM's call for cannabis regulation follows a similar resolution issued last month by the California Medical Association that recommended lawmakers legalize and tax marijuana "in a manner similar to alcohol."

According to the Associated Press, board members at the American Society of Addiction Medicines did not respond favorably to CSAM's report, stating: "We oppose any changes in law and regulation that would lead to a sudden significant increase in the availability of any dependence-producing drug. This policy includes marijuana, a mood-altering drug capable of producing dependence as well as serious negative mental, emotional, behavioral and physical consequences."

Full text of CSAM's 'Youth First' report is available online at: https://www.csam-asa...aft-lo-res.pdf.

CSAM's call for cannabis regulation follows a similar resolution issued last month by the California Medical Association

that recommended lawmakers legalize and tax marijuana "in a manner similar to alcohol."

Why dont they support alcohol-addiction? Seems they should be able to get a grant from the Government .

I'm sure those kids have even less trouble getting alcohol .

" CSAM will support a system of marijuana regulation if sufficient funds from tax and fee revenues are

sequestered and directed toward a multi-level Youth First program."

"California's current medical marijuana laws have not had significant impact on access" So they mean that kids find marijuana despite medical marijuana being available.

True, its so stupid when people try to be intelligent-like and claim that drug addiction is the result of available drugs. WHEN WILL THEY LEARN - KIDS ARE USING DRUGS BECAUSE THEY HAVE FAMILY, SOCIAL, and FUTURE issues? Fix the problems that make kids depressed, anxious, suicidal, and angry - its a FUC*ED up world that needs to be fixed, not the drugs that are used to avoid issues.

If you want to ban drugs - ban TV, Radio, sex, alcohol, fast foods, junk foods, and pills!

And yet you will still not fix the root of the problem....

DN

I took drugs and alcohol when I was a kid because I wanted to experiment. I wasn't depressed, anxious, suididal, or angry. I didn't have future or social issues that made me want to try drugs and alcohol. I will not except any excuses for it. I did it because I wanted to. Most kids will try everything for no other reason than they want to.

And certainly society and parents need to do a better job at teaching kids - that there are some stupid things just not worth trying - huffing, choking game, sex with strangers, drinking until you are blind. Just because kids will be kids, we can do a better job than we are doing now. Teaching kids that marijuana can be medicine is a responsibility, that some substances are never going to be medicine - can help prevent young minds from being destroyed.

You and I may not have had future issues from it - but I remember many young friends who did.

DN

Archived