Air Pump Rating Vs. Air Stone Size

So, as I'm slowly transitioning from ebb-n-grow to bubble buckets, I've been wondering about the size of airstones people use versus the power of the pump they are using. So my question, in short, is this. Does the size of the airstone really make that much difference? Say 'hypothetically' that you have 110 litre per minute (lpm) air pump. You split it 12 ways, resulting in about 9 lpm heading toeach of 12 bubble buckets. Does it really matter, then, what size airstone you're using (2", 4", 6")? I currently have 2" airstones in each 5 gallon bucket, and can see bubbles rising to the top all the way around the buckets.

Also, is there a recommended minimum amount of air I should be looking to move through each bucket, or is it kind of like lights (the more the better!)?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

In my opinion more air is better, agitates the roots and lets them get more surface contact. the airstones are rated just like your pump usually. I like to use the large round ones, I would say 2 inch is a little small for 5 gallon buckets.

I used an 8 inch with a 1200 ltr/hr rated pump. This fed air to 8 (5) gallon buckets and the water looked like it was literally boiling. The more oxygen, the stronger the root system, the happy root system leads to a happy tree. My roots were so thick and white, yield was incredible.

I used an 8 inch with a 1200 ltr/hr rated pump. This fed air to 8 (5) gallon buckets and the water looked like it was literally boiling. The more oxygen, the stronger the root system, the happy root system leads to a happy tree. My roots were so thick and white, yield was incredible.

Maybe you mean a 1200 gallon per hour pump? Otherwise that is an awful small pump. Would be something like 20 liter per minute.

Archived