Good Job, Moderators . . .

Recently a debate took place under the thread entitled, “Jackson Medical Marijuana Likely to End Up iIn Court, advocates say.” My observation regarding the intense discussion therein is that it was moderated in a very intentional, skilled and evenhanded manner, with the discussion being locked at the right time (There comes a point in most heated discussions where the issue and arguments have been exhausted, and it’s appropriate to close the topic—for the sake and benefit of the positive outcomes of the thread itself. To keep going on and on and on ends up undermining the very helpfulness of a debate). Good job mods, a very clear improvement over the past!

Another observation: There will always be advocates who are more militant than the majority of mmj community members. But it is wrong for such advocates to question the commitment, seriousness and loyalty of those they perceive to be not militant enough. This site has not been taken over by republicans and the MMMA has not lost its backbone. Such accusations are not rational arguments in a debate but emotional reactions to dealing with difficult conflict. Such emotional statements are not rational arguments at all. They are simply statement of how someone is feeling. And instead of talking about those uncomfortable personal dynamics, attention gets focused on justifying those feelings by various supposedly rational arguments and declarations.

One of the things in a heated debate that often gets lost in the midst of it is that arguments rarely convince another person to change their position or view because what is really behind people’s arguments is a deeper layer of feelings that they are trying to deal with. The evidence? People rarely conclude an argument at the right time by stating something like, we disagree, and it is OK to disagree. Instead they want to win and keep attacking, refusing to end the discussion.

This isn’t all bad. Those reading the debate can decide for themselves what they think.

I think the MMMA is moving in the right direction, not the wrong one, as some militants accuse it of. For example, I have always questioned the wisdom of declaring a Farmer’s Market to be “legally compliant” because such a declaration promises false, that is, uncertain protection by the law. It may turn out that they are, but not until the question has gone through the judicial system. As a result, someone could find themselves a test case, when they never intended to be such a guinea pig on the potential chopping block. In the recent past, unfortunately, the MMMA has allowed a policy by which ambiguous parts of the law where allowed to be presented as if they were not. That is one reason why some people posting on this site seem not to be able to get that there are ambiguous parts of the law. The previous MMMA policy under the old leadership has finally been changed for the better and safer. I am not against farmer's markets, only promoting them in a false light.

I do not mean to reopen a debate that was locked in another thread. So go ahead and lock this post if that is the case.

My intent is to communicate my disagreement with those who accuse the MMMA of becoming weak. No, it has become smarter, more nuanced, fair and careful.

Thank you to those responsible.

Kurt

\

Another observation: There will always be advocates who are more militant than the majority of mmj community members. But it is wrong for such advocates to question the commitment, seriousness and loyalty of those they perceive to be not militant enough. This site has not been taken over by republicans and the MMMA has not lost its backbone.

I wonder why you would only associate Republicans with militancy? I appreciate that your praising the mods but, why in the same breath would you disparage another group of people? I KNOW there are militants on both sides! Although this is off topic, I think it is fair to point out because I believe your comment breeds division, this the last thing the movement needs. By the way, there are way more Republicans that support this movement then you think, but decide to not raise their voices out for fear of this very thing.

Edited by MLM

I was the one that said the I THINK the site has been taken over by republicans. It was somewhat of a joke because of all the anti Obama topics started within a short period of time. Not that I actually believed the site was taken over.

Funny thinking how all this is doing anything. What tactic sucked worse maybe? Our greatest savior has been the state supreme court. Our prosecutors, our judges, our plea bargain lawyers have all been against us and the truth is, nothing we did worked a lick. Rally's did not work, if it gets members blood moving great, letters were apparently laughed at, politicians played us. Crazy joe at least made the mouse giving the eagle the finger gesture a try. A few worked with locals to get something done under the radar, but it's sure not time for chest thumping, lol. Like I said nothing but the supreme court has saved our azzes. No matter what happens after McQueen we need to reassess just what works and what doesn't. But saying I was right, is kind of funny, considering........

No topic when combined with passion and varying points of view Will be without some form of disagreement.

Often we can get caught up in a moment of passion, our points of view may vary from person to person.

Our approaches to issues we may face will vary also. It's a result of the human condition.

The important thing is that instead of finding fault, we seek to understand and thereby gaining some insight of another's point of view.

We may not agree with another's actions or the content of their words. But we still have one thing in common a passion to help the sick and dying.

I agree Shredder, we will need to reassess what works and what has not. Time to become more effective.

Peace