I started growing last Feb and one of my first plants was an OG Bubba Kush. I harvested some of the lower branches, and about a week later harvested the rest. I dried and cured it along with another strain, treating each jar the same. After curing, the later harvested OG Bubba Kush buds were brownish, while the others remained green. All my other strains have stayed green too. I gave some of the OG to a patient recently, and he told me the buds were brown due to mold. I looked at a bud with a 30x scope, and couldn't see any mold, nor did it smell moldy. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but some buds produced seeds. The grower I got it from had some seeds in his too, so I think it's just a funky strain, or doesn't respond well to stress. Anyway, is a brownish bud a definite sign of mold?

While I have never had a mold problem, except for large Jack Herer buds hanging to dry, I have had buds similar to what you describe.

For me it happens when the plants are left to flower longer than normal and right under the bulb, possibly too close. Too bright and too hot when they are needing just the opposite, is what I came up with.

Sampled brown buds were smooth and effective but looked bad so went in the simpson oil pile.

While I have never had a mold problem, except for large Jack Herer buds hanging to dry, I have had buds similar to what you describe.

For me it happens when the plants are left to flower longer than normal and right under the bulb, possibly too close. Too bright and too hot when they are needing just the opposite, is what I came up with.

Sampled brown buds were smooth and effective but looked bad so went in the simpson oil pile.

I agree and have made the same observations. Light-bleached buds will mold a lot more readily too. It seems the best approach is to grow smaller plants in the summer and when you do get big colas, and especially if you fall behind on harvest, just take a few minutes and cut a few buds out of the big colas. This seems to make a huge difference.