Outdoor Composting In Mi Over Winter - Does It Work?

I am new to Mi and have never lived much less visited this far north, and have a whole bunch of maple and other leaves in my yard right now. My question is, does composting work outdoors here in Mi. over the winter months, or is it too cold for any microbes in the pile to survive? Is anyone composting outdoors this winter, or in past winters? Thanks!

I am new to Mi and have never lived much less visited this far north, and have a whole bunch of maple and other leaves in my yard right now. My question is, does composting work outdoors here in Mi. over the winter months, or is it too cold for any microbes in the pile to survive? Is anyone composting outdoors this winter, or in past winters? Thanks!

Composting can stop in the winter when it gets cold enough. However, even if it is below freezing outside that doesn't mean it is below freezing in your compost pile. Compost piles generally generate heat and will not freeze up as fast as surrounding soils. At some point in the winter it does tend to take a break but, fear not, it will resume as temps rise. Bottom line: Composting does work in Michigan and you should enage in it if you are so inclined.

Composting can stop in the winter when it gets cold enough. However, even if it is below freezing outside that doesn't mean it is below freezing in your compost pile. Compost piles generally generate heat and will not freeze up as fast as surrounding soils. At some point in the winter it does tend to take a break but, fear not, it will resume as temps rise. Bottom line: Composting does work in Michigan and you should enage in it if you are so inclined.

well said!

If you have a deep enough pile of waste that is already activated (inoculate n use catalyst if needed) then insulate further w fall leaves, you'll see the steam rise. consider the frost-line and ambient temp's influence on your living compost. preventable, but it can freeze. -only some microbes will diminish. perhaps dig down for insulation factor.

If you have a deep enough pile of waste that is already activated (inoculate n use catalyst if needed) then insulate further w fall leaves, you'll see the steam rise. consider the frost-line and ambient temp's influence on your living compost. preventable, but it can freeze. -only some microbes will diminish. perhaps dig down for insulation factor.

That is all true but at some point the attempt to insulate can restrict the oxygen which will also halt composting. So a happy medium that requires the least amount of work is to generally just keep a nice sized pile.

Thanks folks! I don't have a pile started yet, and was wondering whether worthwhile to buy microbes and container or not for a new pile. I prefer DWC, but my garden has struggled and already failed once since here (either pythium or fusarium from what I read). Odd thing is that these are reportedly warm weather fungi, and never saw such problems in the warm south. I also see folks in Ca/Or/Wa using "super soil" with what appears to be amazing results and the healthiest plants I have ever seen. I may try it, but not sure.

Never lived anywhere that snow accumulates for more than a day or 2, so still not sure what to expect here near Flint area. I will say that what I read before moving appears to be incorrect so far, regarding what I think that said was .13" precip/month on average. Not gonna build an igloo for microbes, but just gathering info from the experienced here.

Come January we will likely get snowfall that will take a few weeks to thaw and melt. We go through cycles of freeze/thaw. Many times our snow volume seems to be reduced more through evaporation than through thaw due to the duration of time it stays on the ground. Of course this is all lower half of lower pen. observations. I think that people in the UP see standing snow for a lot longer than us down here. At any rate, you can compost. It will take a break from activity sometime in the dead of winter but will start back up. If you put your pile in direct sun then you have a better chance of activity during the winter months.

Come January we will likely get snowfall that will take a few weeks to thaw and melt. We go through cycles of freeze/thaw. Many times our snow volume seems to be reduced more through evaporation than through thaw due to the duration of time it stays on the ground. Of course this is all lower half of lower pen. observations. I think that people in the UP see standing snow for a lot longer than us down here. At any rate, you can compost. It will take a break from activity sometime in the dead of winter but will start back up. If you put your pile in direct sun then you have a better chance of activity during the winter months.

Nice to know, and thanks again!