Lawmakers May Make Medical Marijuana Law Changes

Two mid-Michigan lawmakers say there’s a good chance the Michigan Legislature could make some refinements in the state’s medical marijuana law by the end of the year.

“There are some rough edges that could be sanded off,” said Rep. Kevin Cotter, R-Union Township, a member of the House Judiciary Committee.

Michigan voters passed the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act in 2008, which provided a framework for the use of marijuana as a medicine by people with debilitating medical conditions. Patients must have a doctor’s endorsement and must register with the state.

The voter-approved law has been criticized as vague and difficult to work with. Last week, a Lansing judge threw out drug-dealing charges against four employees of two medical marijuana facilities, saying they were following a law that needs clarification.

Cotter said lawmakers could look at a proposal that would better define the relationship that patients would have to have with doctors who endorse their use of medical marijuana, as well as better defining how marijuana could be transported.

Because the law was adopted by voters, it takes at least a three-quarters vote of both houses to amend it. Some changes, including extending the term of registration of patients from one years to two years, and requiring photos on registration cards, passed the House earlier this year by the necessary margin.

So last night on the MMMA radio show I heard Tim B and the other guy from Lansing say that the Bills had a good chance of passing and 1of the Bills will stop all fellons from being care givers

I think that most caregivers are patients if not they will be soon and once again the State will make more $$$

The Law makers are seeing dollar signs and once again people would not mine if they had some protection

Lets hope that the caregivers don't get jammed up in court that's what worries me

And if the law makers want to help us they would of done something to keep people out of court not inn court IMHO