Pot Smokers Celebrate

Herb Cannabis

Pot smokers celebrate in streets as Washington state legalizes marijuana

Thursday December 6, 2012 5:45 AM

SEATTLE (AP) — Marijuana possession is now legal in Washington state, and pot smokers have been celebrating in the streets of Seattle.

Hundreds gathered under Seattle's Space Needle for a New Year's Eve-style countdown to 12 a.m., when the legalization measure passed by voters last month took effect. When the clock struck, they cheered and lit joints in unison.

A few dozen people gathered on a sidewalk outside the north Seattle headquarters of the annual Hempfest celebration and did the same, offering joints to reporters and blowing smoke into television news cameras. One smoker said she felt "like a kid in a candy store!"

Public use of marijuana is still banned, but the Seattle Police Department is telling officer to issue only verbal warnings "until further notice."

One pot smoker interprets the police directive this way: "you may responsibly get baked, order some pizzas and enjoy a 'Lord of the Rings' marathon in the privacy of your own home, if you want to."

Sound:

%@AP Links

052-c-15-(Gene Johnson, AP correspondent)-"with that right"-AP correspondent Gene Johnson says the Seattle Police Department is being very lenient as the kinks are worked out in the new law. (6 Dec 2012)

<<CUT *052 (12/06/12)>> 00:15 "with that right"

051-c-10-(Gene Johnson, AP correspondent)-"various other contraptions"-AP correspondent Gene Johnson reports pot supporters in Seattle celebrated in a predictable way. (6 Dec 2012)

<<CUT *051 (12/06/12)>> 00:10 "various other contraptions"

081-a-05-(Darby Hageman (HAYG'-muhn), marijuana supporter, in AP interview)-"proud about it"-Marijuana supporter Darby Hageman says she's pleased to celebrate the legalization of marijuana in Washington state. (6 Dec 2012)

<<CUT *081 (12/06/12)>> 00:05 "proud about it"

083-a-17-(Darby Hageman (HAYG'-muhn), marijuana supporter, in AP interview)-"a spiritual healing"-Marijuana supporter Darby Hageman says it's about time that laws start changing about the legality of marijuana. ((note length of cut)) (6 Dec 2012)

<<CUT *083 (12/06/12)>> 00:17 "a spiritual healing"

082-a-15-(Darby Hageman (HAYG'-muhn), marijuana supporter, in AP interview)-"to repeal prohibition"-Marijuana supporter Darby Hageman says a crowd that gathered for the annual Hempfest in Seattle celebrated by passing around a lot of joints. (6 Dec 2012)

<<CUT *082 (12/06/12)>> 00:15 "to repeal prohibition"

APPHOTO WATW102: Allister Adams smokes marijuana, Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, just after midnight at the Space Needle in Seattle. Possession of marijuana became legal in Washington state at midnight, and several hundred people gathered at the Space Needle to smoke and celebrate the occasion, even though the new law does prohibit public use of marijuana. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren) (6 Dec 2012)

<<APPHOTO WATW102 (12/06/12)>>

APPHOTO WATW111: Gary Parrish smokes marijuana in a glass pipe, Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, just after midnight at the Space Needle in Seattle. Possession of marijuana became legal in Washington state at midnight, and several hundred people gathered at the Space Needle to smoke and celebrate the occasion, even though the new law does prohibit public use of marijuana. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren) (6 Dec 2012)

<<APPHOTO WATW111 (12/06/12)>>

huh? just kidding, I seen it on cbs this morn, looked like a big new years eve party w/o the fire works, the fire works did look good though, and I bet none exploded and killed or hurt any one, I bet the fast food, party stores, bakery's and such ade a fortune too, with all them people smoking mj you know a bunch got the munchies, I bet leo got a contact buzz, but that dont go towards sales, they get their stuff free!

we should stop giving cops free stuff, the only reason for the free stuff is to have them protect your interest in your business, sounds kinda like what the mafia does, they come and collect cash from you to protect your intrest, cops come and collect your goods, they cant wait for you to sell it and get cash from ya, and well it dont look good to take an envelope from a busines, it dont look bad to walk out with a bag of donuts though! hmmm

Peace

Jim

p.s if that dont make sense to ya, well I just medicated and been thinking, uh oh!

Edited by phaquetoo

huh? just kidding, I seen it on cbs this morn, looked like a big new years eve party w/o the fire works, the fire works did look good though, and I bet none exploded and killed or hurt any one, I bet the fast food, party stores, bakery's and such ade a fortune too, with all them people smoking mj you know a bunch got the munchies, I bet leo got a contact buzz, but that dont go towards sales, they get their stuff free!

we should stop giving cops free stuff, the only reason for the free stuff is to have them protect your interest in your business, sounds kinda like what the mafia does, they come and collect cash from you to protect your intrest, cops come and collect your goods, they cant wait for you to sell it and get cash from ya, and well it dont look good to take an envelope from a busines, it dont look bad to walk out with a bag of donuts though! hmmm

Peace

Jim

p.s if that dont make sense to ya, well I just medicated and been thinking, uh oh!

Your pretty cool for a young guy, I love your honesty, " p.s if that dont make sense to ya, well I just medicated and been thinking, uh oh!"

One pot smoker interprets the police directive this way: "you may responsibly get baked, order some pizzas and enjoy a 'Lord of the Rings' marathon in the privacy of your own home, if you want to."

Wonderful stuff.

I'm jealous not to be there, but still thankful for what we have here. The reports coming in and stuff on Youtube is inspiring to say the least.