Indiana Farmer Prepares To Take On Monsanto

1lluminated1

Vernon Bowman, Indiana Farmer, Prepares To Take On Monsanto In Seed Patent Case

By Carey Gillam

Feb 15 (Reuters) - A 75-year-old Indiana grain farmer will take on global seed giant Monsanto Co at the U.S. Supreme Court next week in a patent battle that could have ramifications for the biotechnology industry and possibly the future of food production.

The highest court in the United States will hear arguments on Tuesday in the dispute, which started when soybean farmer Vernon Bowman bought and planted a mix of unmarked grain typically used for animal feed. The plants that grew turned out to contain the popular herbicide-resistant genetic trait known as Roundup Ready that Monsanto guards closely with patents.

The St. Louis, Mo.-based biotech giant accused Bowman of infringing its patents by growing plants that contained its genetics. But Bowman, who grows wheat and corn along with soybeans on about 300 acres inherited from his father, argued that he used second-generation grain and not the original seeds covered by Monsanto's patents.

Continue Reading: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/15/vernon-bowman-indiana-farmer-monsanto_n_2691607.html

i hate bullies like Monsanto, they've been doing all kinds of crap to the farmers,Monsanto's pollen drifts into another guys field and then sues because the seeds have their genetics...i hope they get their asses sued...bp

After watching documentaries on this, and seeing Monsanto win every time I began to wonder what would happen if the farmer were the one to sue first for there crops being poisoned with his crap. Would be nice to see for sure.

it has long lasting ramifications..

i hope the farmer wins as well

seems to me they should sue the grain elevator for selling seeds... not the farmer who bought them and planted them.

if a plant is allowed to be patented... then whats next? a person?

makes me sick to think the courts allow a patent on a living thing.

no respect for earth.

no respect for life.

no respect for humanity.

i am with the farmer to be sure.

i vehemently disagree with the current mindset and approach with GMO's taking over everything in our food market.

85% of farmers use these seeds? that's nuts.. not grain.

i will be growing my own veggies this year in single protest.

i am seeking seeds. heirloom type. any fruits and almost any vegetables.. current seed stock is already modified... i would seek a person who has been protecting the genealogy of their seed-line from being tampered with my any major corporations... it isn't enough for me to just grow my own..i want to make sure what i am growing isn't "pretainted" with corporate greed.

seems to me they should sue the grain elevator for selling seeds... not the farmer who bought them and planted them.

no respect for earth.

no respect for life.

no respect for humanity.

i vehemently disagree with the current mindset and approach with GMO's taking over everything in our food market.

i am seeking seeds. heirloom type. any fruits and almost any vegetables.. current seed stock is already modified... i would seek a person who has been protecting the genealogy of their seed-line from being tampered with my any major corporations... it isn't enough for me to just grow my own..i want to make sure what i am growing isn't "pretainted" with corporate greed.

I agree

I hate GMO food and I fear it is causing me health problems so I've been trying to grow more of my own veggies every year. Last year i did miserable with the drought. Hopefully my skills have improved. I'm a neophyte gardeners outdoors but indoors is a different story.

I can't wait for spring :)

well here's a kicker for you ,in England they're selling a mmj drug and have patented the plant strains they're using, so they can sue anyone with their genetics..so know where your strains are coming from or you too can get sued.lol....talk about wrong,,,,but hey i guess we've got a few on this site that guard their strains too so i'll just hush....lol..bp

Edited by budpuffer

After watching documentaries on this, and seeing Monsanto win every time I began to wonder what would happen if the farmer were the one to sue first for there crops being poisoned with his crap. Would be nice to see for sure.

hey jb, sounds like a good idea but whos gona cover the bigg bucks its gona take to sue monsanto.

no respect for earth.

no respect for life.

no respect for humanity.

hey mibrains, look up seeds of change. a very good company for those heirloom type vegg's and fruits.