More Grandparents Smoking

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/the-daily-dose-blog-post?post=a0aec51e-3e0e-4b1b-a4e5-6aefdd4ac960

If you were around 20 years old in 1967, you were at a prime age to enjoy the Summer of Love and all that came with it: the “free love,” the freed minds, the freely flowing substances. Your age puts you at the front end of the baby boomer generation, that massive population that defined a new America with its anti-establishment principles. Oh, and here’s more good news: You're now eligible for Social Security.

Casual relationships and passionate social activism may be well behind most baby boomers today, but some still are enjoying altering their reality. According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the number of adults over age 50 who smoke marijuana has been steadily rising for a decade.

000c0065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_932So many older people have come out as pot smokers, The New York Times reports, that one pro-marijuana group has launched Grannies For Grass, an affiliation of happy advocates with chapters in three Midwestern states.

Aging baby boomers helped coin a term and create an age-defying economy around the “midlife crisis,” but that’s not what boomer-toking is about. Quite the contrary, in fact: The crisis for them is over.

More from MSN Living: Spring cleaning: 13 things to replace now

Retirement has liberated many members of the older generation from concerns about work performance, and as empty-nesters their parenting responsibilities are diminished as well. The easing of legal restrictions around marijuana possession and consumption also contribute to a social environment in which grandparents playing pinochle can spark up a joint nearly as casually as they might crack open a bottle of Pinot Grigio.

One interviewee in the NYT piece had no qualms at all about the possibility of bosses identifying her from the newspaper’s story. Pictured in her Ohio home next to a blanket with a giant pot leaf on it, Cher Neufer proudly proclaims, “I don’t care if they know!” Another couple now in their 80s is named by the grandson who occasionally catches a buzz with them.

More from MSN Living: 40 time-saving tips to save you an hour a day

Plus, we all know that increasing age can be accompanied by decreasing concern about the judgments of others. Said another way, toking baby boomers probably don’t give a darn what you think about what they smoke. It seems ironic, but the generation who sang along to the Who lyric “Hope I die before I get old” is recovering some of its rebellious spirit with age.

Did they write that article with me in mind? I was 17 in '67 and involved in the Peace Movement at that time. I smoked my share of "weed" back in the day. I am now G'pa to 4 beautiful grandchildren and now smoke "medical marijuana" to assist me with a variety of ailments. Personally, I don't care who knows that I partake of my medicine and work hard to instruct others of the benefits that I derive from this plant. My only regret is that change has come much to slowly for my tastes.  Peace ... j.b.

The vast majority of the people I have mmj discussions with are over 50. Many have smoked in the past, some have not. All are looking for ways to ease their pains and discomforts without causing more damage to their damaged bodies. Rather than smoke, they want to know about the medibles and topicals.

Getting old is damm tough. You do nice work.

• 4 weeks later...