Will Schools See My Mmmp Membership?

WevieStonder

I'm going to be applying to a professional healthcare degree program in the future and part of the application process includes a criminal background check. My record is spotless, however, I am a member of the MMMP.  Will this come up in a background check and if so can schools hold this information against me?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to be applying to a professional healthcare degree program in the future and part of the application process includes a criminal background check. My record is spotless, however, I am a member of the MMMP.  Will this come up in a background check and if so can schools hold this information against me?

Thanks in advance.

LARA handles both the MMMP AND the approving of health care licenses. If you are not applying for a 'professional' health license at this point in time, I personally (though I certainly can't say for certain) would think you would be OK.

HOWEVER, many health care providers have their concerns when it comes to getting a pro-health license AND getting a MMJ registration card through LARA for the above mentioned reasons.

I'll ask you... do you think LARA would cross-check the MMMP records they have with those people applying for a prof license?

To my thinking trusting LARA becomes a crap shoot under these circumstances.

Good luck with it though.

I can't speak for schools, they, even more than the state, seem to be a law unto themselves. However, the information concerning MMMP registrants is supposed to be reserved. I can say from personal experience my professional licensing board has indicated that being a registrant would protect me from disciplinary action.

Consider the alternatives. If you don't have the card and have any interaction with LEO, you're screwed, whether or not you are charged with anything, because you will be reported to LARA, and you will be disciplined. With the card, you have a legal leg to stand on, and probably wouldn't fall under LEO's radar to be reported in the first place.

Again, I make these statements from personal experience.

if you are using medical marijuana and are a health professional in michigan, it is imperative that you get a card.

at least a doctors recommendation, so you can be protected under sec 8...

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/07/southwest_michigan_pharmacist.html

GLENN, MI - A South Haven-area pharmacist has had his pharmacy license suspended because of a marijuana possession conviction last fall after police discovered marijuana plants growing on his Casco Township property.
Donald Buckley
Courtesy photo

According to a news release from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, registered pharmacist Donald James Buckley, 71, was found guilty in Allegan County District Court last October of a misdemeanor, placed on probation for six months and ordered to pay fines and costs.

Allegan County Prosecutor Fred Anderson said Buckley had a previous marijuana possession conviction in 1996, but as part of a plea agreement was he was not charged as a second-time offender in the 2012 case.

Detective Sgt. Jack Waterway, of the Michigan State Police West Michigan Enforcement Team, said that on July 17, 2012, while conducting helicopter flights to look for marijuana plants, police spotted plants on 66th Street in Casco Township. He said further investigation revealed 14 plants behind Buckley's house, which were seized. Buckley allowed police to search his property and no other marijuana was found.

Waterway said Buckley told police he grows the marijuana for his own use because he suffers from glaucoma. He also told them, Waterway said, that he did apply to the state for a medical marijuana card because he is a pharmacist "and he didn't want that to conflict with his job."

On June 27, 2013, LARA suspended Buckley's license pursuant to the state Public Health Code which provides for the mandatory summary suspension of a health professionals license upon the conviction of a felony, a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for a maximum term of two years, or a controlled substance-related conviction, the agency said in a news release issued Wednesday, July 3.

Jeannie Vogel, spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, said when contacted Wednesday that a person's profession is not considered when applying for a Michigan medical marijuana card.

In addition, Vogel said, "the identity of a person with a medical marijuana card is confidential, so we would not know if they have a card when they apply for licensure."

MLive/Kalamazoo Gazette was unable to reach Buckley for comment Wednesday.

get your card. dont be a buckley.

I was thinking more along the lines of the explicit language of section 4, but you get the idea. Get your card.

Sec. 4. (a) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act......

I don't have italics on my phone to highlight the "professional licensing board or bureau".