Business Owner In Walled Lake Fights Moratorium On Medical Marijuana Dispensary

bobandtorey

WALLED LAKE, Mich. (WXYZ) - The sale of medical marijuana is a hot button issue that has state and federal laws at odds and is now causing problems for business owners in Oakland County.

Anthony Virga says what’s happening to him and his employees is just like the name of his store ‘Bazonzoes’.

“It’s very frustrating, I mean we are trying to help all these people have safe access to their medication and we keep getting stopped,” said Virga.

His medical marijuana dispensary in Walled Lake has been raided twice by the DEA but that is not why he currently cannot sell medical marijuana.

“I don’t know what to do about it, my hands are tied,” said Virga.

He can sell retail but not the meds because his license expired and he cannot renew his license.  The Walled Lake City Council put a moratorium on licenses for businesses like his. 

“I have seven employees who are full time and they don’t have jobs now right before Christmas,” said Virga.

The moratorium hurts his business and patients like Kim Stele.  She is a breast cancer survivor and in remission.  Stele is an employee at ‘Bazonzoes’ and a patient, at least she was an employee and patient.

“They basically saved my life-- they cut my chemo time down by half,” said Kim Stele.

Now Stele is back on her 12 medications.  The moratorium does expire in a few weeks, but city council has not decided yet whether or not they will vote to renew the moratorium.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/business-owner-in-walled-lake-fights-moratorium-on-medical-marijuana-dispensary#ixzz2mVvN6wJe