Four Decades Of Impeding And Rejecting Science

washtenaut

Federal authorities can perform cannabis interdiction and enforcement, albeit Attorney General Holder, Congress, and President Obama have made statements to the effect that federal enforcement and/or funding is a no longer a priority in terms of state laws permitting cannabis use. The DEA remains stubbornly non-compliant with that attitude. The Drug Czar Act of 2014 (H.R. 4046) requires the director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), informally known as the U.S. Drug Czar, to “take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use” of marijuana or any Schedule I drug for medical or non-medical use. The provision prohibits ONDCP from studying legalization. Because of the ban, the Drug Czar and his staff are prohibited from stating any contrary position on marijuana policy and are not allowed to study the legalization of medical marijuana in the several states and the District of Columbia or the legalization of marijuana like alcohol. Until and unless this law is repealed the agency will remain a roadblock. Legislation in Congress to repeal has been introduced but is not moving forward at this time

And yet we still have a Federal medical mj program where the Federal gov't still manufactures & distributes mj to it's Federally registered patients. Go figure.

Point being there are people in DC that need our considerable opinions and support. Hand wringing in the cheap seats will not get the job done.

Point being there are people in DC that need our considerable opinions and support. Hand wringing in the cheap seats will not get the job done.

Are there multiple groups/agendas competing? I'm a little removed from that, don't have a very good idea of who is championing what.

Last I looked into it appeared as if mj would be rescheduled at 2, requiring a prescription & pharmacy, which meant a processed/extracted drug. I pictured limted licenses for large scale commercial grows, which in turn would sell their crop to licensed pharmaceutical companies, much like opium. It wouldn't support private growing for personal, medical or recreational use. I picture the Illinois model but even more exclusive, and larger in scale.

Is there a competing platform to this? Can't say I really support the above.

imagine if every cannabis user stopped handing dollars hand over foot to the very entities that keep them in fear, raided, prosecuted, robbed and worse?

Every dollar spent towards a company that arguably invented marijuana illegality, one that derives much profit for those efforts, is a dollar supporting our

ridiculous corporate and legal attack on the sick and old in our society, for finding relief in an age old natural healing plant.

who's fault could this be one must wonder ? I wouldn't be surprised if the Dup's didn't make rolling papers, fertilizers, pesticides tubing, fittings, etc for the marijuana industry too, while keeping it profitably illegal...hey wait  minute......duhhhh

use your voting dollars responsibly, and good luck to all.

Are there multiple groups/agendas competing? I'm a little removed from that, don't have a very good idea of who is championing what.

Last I looked into it appeared as if mj would be rescheduled at 2, requiring a prescription & pharmacy, which meant a processed/extracted drug. I pictured limted licenses for large scale commercial grows, which in turn would sell their crop to licensed pharmaceutical companies, much like opium. It wouldn't support private growing for personal, medical or recreational use. I picture the Illinois model but even more exclusive, and larger in scale.

Is there a competing platform to this? Can't say I really support the above.

Ours is a competing platform to what you describe. I cannot and will not suggest that the State of Michigan won't try precisely these kinds of moves, and, in fact, know full well that people like Bill Schuette and Rick Jones will be leading the charge with reactionary judges having their backs. These people have shown their stripes and are a known quantity. I only want the government to keep its hands the hell off my cannabis more liberally than it does now, treating it much like the dill and basil we grow ourselves and buy from those who do grow it and at retail with no special tax, and even share it freely among our friends much like we do our garden produce. In my efforts I typically call or write government officials to put forth reasonable arguments for that, calling attention to the almost entire lack of evidence of harm and filling them in on the benefits my friends and I enjoy.

I am seeing moves toward a better organized approach to issues here. A small group has begun a wiki regarding the law. To this point it appears that those involved are excited about it, and I hope that a workable participatory means to get schit done will grow from it.