4th Amendment Violation

The court granted our motion to Suppress and Dismiss all evidence

“ The manner by which the evidence was seized violated the accused 4th Amendment Rights, and therefore that evidence is suppressed and all charges shall be dismissed. “

Just leaving Gaylord, where they are still felony prosecuting folks for cannabis. We just completed the second day of an evidentiary hearing and Komorn Law PLLC is happy to report the the Court granted our motion to Suppress and Dismiss all evidence; which included all of the alleged felony Marihuana evidence and the alleged Psilocybin evidence.

The Judge, was well prepared, well researched and delivered a lengthy and detailed analysis of the issues which included but was not limited to the following:

Warrantless Searches are Presumptively invalid, unless the state establishes an exception.

In this case the execution of the eviction order was a recognized exceptions. However that exception is limited to Safety Sweep, which had been exhausted. The next factual sequence involved a search of a drawer, where a firearm was allegedly found.

The Court determined this was an unreasonable search and seizure of the firearm, but this did us no good because my client was not charged with any gun charges.

The court went on to find somewhere in the time line of the execution of the order of eviction, my client allegedly consented to the search, ( usually not good). What was remarkable to me was that the Court found that while there was consent to search, that consent does not allow the seizure of property that is not illegal or probable cause of a crime ( in this case “ marihuana”).

The Court went on to read from MRTMA section 2/4/5/15, correctly concluding that the 10 ounces within the dwelling was not illegal ( civil infraction) and not a crime, and even consent to search does not provide consent to seize items that were not illegal.

The Court then went on to find that the State did not carry its burden of rebutting the presumption of the warrantless search and seizure of the alleged psilocybin. I kept waiting for the judge to find an exception or some reason to justify the search and seizure but it never happened. I even held my breath for the “Good Faith” exception ruling that sometimes happens and that to was not a finding the court made.

Anyhow, it is always rewarding as a lawyer when you go to lengths to establish the illegality or unconstitutionality of a search ( or some government action) and the court agrees. Prosecutor threatening appeal. For now we are calling it a Huge Win.

If you or someone you know has been accused of a crime or DUI.
Call Komorn Law and turn the odds in your favor.
Call Now 248-357-2550

Komorn Law Social Media

Recent Posts

Tag Cloud

Academia Blog Cannabis Business Development Cannabis Science Criminal Defense Criminal Defense Attorney Michael Komorn Federal Laws Forfeiture Health Benefits of Marijuana Hemp Komorn Law Blog Komorn Law In The News LARA-MMFLA Info Legalization Marijuana Criminal Defense Attorney Michael Komorn Medical Marijuana Medical Marijuana Attorney Michael Komorn Michigan Laws Michigan Medical Marhuana Regulation Michigan Medical Marijuana Act Michigan Medical Marijuana Association Michigan Medical Marijuana Criminal Defense Michigan Medical Marijuana Criminal Defense Attorney Michael Komorn News Planet Green Trees Radio Recent Victories Record Expungement Services Uncategorized Victories Project

DISCLAIMER
This website and/or post may contain re-posted content, opinions, comments, ads, third party posts, outdated information, posts from disgruntled persons, posts from those with agendas, private stuff, work related information, non work related information and general internet BS. Therefore…Before you believe anything on the internet regarding anything and everything – do your research on “Official Government and State Sites”, Call the Michigan State Police, Check the State Attorney General Website and Consult an Attorney – Use Your Brain. You’re on the internet.

The post 4th Amendment Violation appeared first on Komorn Law.

View the full article

• dwkl unlocked this topic