I thought I would add some information to my blog about how I built my flower room.
I started off sacrificing my bedroom and had to sleep in my living room for almost 9 months! I have a new bedroom now though .
The bedroom measured approximately 11' x 12' with an 8' ceiling and a crawlspace underneath. I chose (2) 1000 watt switchable ballast lights to go with 50 Watts per square foot. I am running 7,500 lumen of light per square foot. The closet comes out to be 40 square feet in size, which measures approximately 4.5' x 9'.
There was a window in the closet which I removed and boarded up with insulation and wood and used that to install the ports for exhausting my fans. I went with (2) outdoor pre-hung triple insulated doors for full lightproof and convenience of accessing the plants. To the left of the closet you can see a door, that is there to access the furnace pipe mostly, it was a tiny closet for the bedroom, it was pretty much unusable space for the flower room, so I painted the door white.
In this next picture, you can see I added 3 vents on the outside of the closet at the top. The vents go through the wall cavity and they work like light traps. There are 3 vents on the inside of the closet at the bottom near the floor. This is so the closet can intake air and be able to breathe while the lights are on or off.
In this picture you can see I added (2) 6" high output can fans 440 cfm each for a total of 880 cfm exhaust out the vents where the window was.
Here is a picture of the outside window vents each 6" with dampers.
In this picture you can see the lighting system is done and there is also in the center a 16" osculating wall mount fan. For the custom cooling, I took the lenses out of the light hoods so that I can exhaust air from both ends of the light hoods, so there is suction from each end of the light for maximum cooling efficiency. Each fan is hooked up to each hood so that I can have the option to run only one fan but still run both lights. Like in the winter when it is cold, I only need to run one fan. It also serves a safety purpose. If one fan fails, the other fan will still be cooling both lights. I did the same with the electrical, each fan is plugged in on a separate breaker/fuse.
The room needed an air conditioner for the hot humid summers, minimum required 12,000 BTU. This had to be custom installed too, my windows slide open sideways.
Well, after building it all like above, the system worked, but I wasn't fully satisfied with the cooling and the efficiency of it. So I added an 8" high output can fan at the ceiling, I call this an air exchange fan. It only takes air from the grow closet and back into the main room. It helps keep the air temps balanced between the closet and main room. This solved a lot of problems. Like in the winter, the main room was too cold which made it unusable, even though the flower room temps were just fine. If I restricted fresh air from outside to prevent the room from getting too cold, then I was exhausting heat out of my house just as fast as it was going in. Now with the air exchange fan, that is not a problem, in the winter, I am only exhausting about 100 cfm out of the flower closet. The air exchange fan at 740 cfm putting warm air back into the main room now lets the room be usable, there is only about a 5 to 10 degree temperature difference between the main room and flower closet. The air exchange fan also helps with the closet getting too cold in the winter during lights off. Also, during humid times of the year, it helps prevent mold/fungus issues in the flower room. The air exchange fan is set up to be light proof. I can leave it running at night and keep the temps right where I want them. One other benefit of installing the air exchange fan, I was able to make use of that dead space where the furnace pipe is.
All three fans are equipped with a speedster speed controller so I can adjust the cooling system to meet any temperature I desire by dialing up or down the fan cfm. Now, after all of this, the lights and cooling system are all working in harmony.
Here is a picture of the electrical (it is not complete in this picture). The ballasts and the electrical is mounted in the crawlspace. I choose a 220 breaker that goes to a throwbox which converts it to (2) 110 outlets with slow blow fuses.
Here is a picture of my first test run with the closet, there are 12 plants in this picture, I typically only have 8 bigger ones flowering.
Me and my babies in the closet.
Some more pics from this closet.