Found This

bobandtorey

Dazed in DC: medical marijuana for capital

TIM CRAIG

April 22, 2010 marijuana-200x0.jpg Medical marijuana... legally grown in California. Photo: AP

WASHINGTON: Hundreds of chronically ill residents of the US capital will be able to buy government-sanctioned marijuana by the end of the year under a measure unanimously approved by the District of Columbia Council.

Without debate, the council on Tuesday authorised five medical marijuana distribution centres throughout the city, a number that could grow to eight in coming years. A patient who has HIV, glaucoma, cancer or a ''chronic and lasting disease'' will be able to receive a doctor's recommendation to possess up to two ounces (56 grams) of marijuana in a 30-day period.

Patients will not be allowed to grow marijuana but will be able to buy it from dispensaries licensed and regulated by the Department of Health. Some may qualify to receive their drugs free or at reduced cost.

''This legislation seeks to avoid problems while assuring the district moves forward with a medical marijuana program that is based on evidence and best practices,'' said David Catania, chairman of the council's health committee.

Advocates hailed the council vote as one of the final steps in a years-long struggle to act on a 1998 referendum in which 69 per cent of residents voted for medical marijuana. But some advocates and marijuana growers say the DC law is destined to fail because it is too restrictive and might not attract established growers who could meet the city's requirements.

''The regulations may be setting up a system that drives patients back onto the streets,'' said Steve DeAngelo, executive director of Harborside Health Centre in Oakland, which distributes medical marijuana to about 40,000 patients in California.

The legislation, which must be voted on a second time next month, sends the national debate over medical marijuana before the US Congress, which has 30 days to review the legislation before it becomes law.

With medical marijuana illegal under federal law, Congress will essentially be asked to look the other way.

The Washington Post

• 2 weeks later...

wow lucky washtoniums. I wish it happened two years ago when I was there.

about as lucky as having your guns taken away!!!! lets see should i medicate with the shtuff clinton didnt inhale? or real mm grown by myself for myself?

Archived