Medical Marijuana A Pain For Police

Medical marijuana a pain for police

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/90788064.html

A licence to grow pot isn’t going to help you if your home is invaded by gun-wielding masked men in the middle of the night.

And the federal government’s unwillingness to keep police in the loop about medicinal marijuana isn’t helping matters.

That was the message from Langley RCMP Supt. Derek Cooke when he spoke to Langley City council on Monday night about the growing challenges police face concerning medical grow operations.

Although they have no way of knowing how many legitimate grow ops exist in Langley, police are seeing an increase in the number of violent “grow rips” associated with them, he said.

“It’s a valuable commodity, and to the person stealing it, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a licensed or illegal operation.”

One particular grow-op which Cooke has used as an example during various discussions about the problem, is located across the street from an elementary school and a day care centre. It came to the attention of police after neighbours noticed a strong odour of marijuana.

Although the operation turned out to be legal, the people holding the licence are not Langley residents, nor is the person who is lawfully allowed to tend the crop, he said.

Then, two and a half weeks ago, that same grow-op was ripped off, when armed men wearing balaclavas stormed in during the night.

“I don’t want to suggest it’s common, but it is becoming a more common occurrence,” Cooke said.

“It’s not our role to act as security guards, but it would be nice to know where (the legal grow-ops) are,” he added during a later interview.

While he conceded it is a philosophical argument, Cooke believes much of the problem lies with the rules laid out by the federal government surrounding medical marijuana.

“My contention is that the legislation isn’t serving us well,” he said.

Dismantling grow operations is a time-consuming process, but it is being further complicated by the existence of medical crops, he said.

Because of privacy issues, no notification is given to police or local government about where the legal grow operations are located he said.

“We can go to (the federal government) and say, ‘We’re about to execute a warrant, is this a licensed operation?’

City Mayor Peter Fassbender said there has been “a lot of talk” with the federal licensing agency about why people growing medical marijuana can’t be identified.

“A strong case was made that it doesn’t make sense. Police should know where they are, so they can protect them from being ripped off,” said Fassbender.

Sgt. Jason Wilde, NCO in charge of Langley's drug section, said that while police can contact Health Canada with an address to learn whether a building contains a medical marijuana grow op, it is a time-consuming system that puts everyone involved at a higher risk than necessary.

"It's a safety issue. We should get a list from them," he said.

Police and firefighters would be better prepared going into a situation if that information was in the system ahead of time, he added.

And when it comes to potential home invasions, said Wilde: "I think it's safer for residents if police know."

Meanwhile, Cooke also pointed to a lack of on-site regulation as further evidence the process is flawed.

Often, he said, people are producing quantities many times larger than they are licensed to grow. Theft of electricity, a lack of regard for safety regulations and mould are also among the violations regularly found in licensed operations, he said.

“They present the same problems as illegal (grow ops) but they’re sanctioned by the federal government,” said Cooke.

“I’d like to see regulations put in place to make it mandatory that police are made aware of the locations (of medical marijuana crops) and to have them subject to some sort of inspection process,” said Cooke.

He isn’t suggesting police be responsible for the inspections.

“In fact, I’d rather we weren’t,” he said.

“But it could be done by City bylaw officers or some sort of inspection agency.”

i have three signs,their copies of the paper that says im a qualified patient.one on grow room other 2 on front and back door.iv already been checked weeks ago,they asked if it helps me,and they drove off.this way if im not home they can simply read,then they call the local leo,they say they know then they go away.i dont tell neibors,but im glad the county knows , im under my count and nothing to hide.all they said was keep the kids out of it.

i have three signs,their copies of the paper that says im a qualified patient.one on grow room other 2 on front and back door.iv already been checked weeks ago,they asked if it helps me,and they drove off.this way if im not home they can simply read,then they call the local leo,they say they know then they go away.i dont tell neibors,but im glad the county knows , im under my count and nothing to hide.all they said was keep the kids out of it.

That's good to hear Stone, having nothing to hide lets you sleep much better. I like your approach.

Archived