Under Influence Or Medicated?

Is there a diff between medicating and being under the influence and thus at risk to work, drive or otherwise transact unimpaired. The zero tolerance policy that drives corporations like Wal-Mart to fire an exemplary employee or a judge to put someone in jail who somehow tested positive for a cannabis metabolite. Other states have DRE's or Drug Recognition Experts who at least use tests to determine driving ability as opposed to arresting anyone because the car smells like weed. What standard or test should or could be implemented that addresses any legitimate concerns about impaired driving. Cannabis has already been shown in the few studies done to be less impairing than other substances. (the worst "substance" for impairment is a cell phone)

I feel this is a completely moot point and just another reason to throw people in jail or give them huge fines.

Even with the most severe cannabis intoxications cause less of a decrease in driving ability then someone that consumed enough alcohol to blow a 0.08 (still less than the legal limit here in Michigan).

No matter how much cannabis I consume, or how potent it is, I can never see myself having any difficulty passing a roadside sobriety test.

However many prescription drugs I have been prescribed would definitely leave me incapable of driving safely.

Marijuana Induces Minimum Driving Impairment Compared to Alcohol, Toronto Study Says

I feel this is a completely moot point and just another reason to throw people in jail or give them huge fines.

Even with the most severe cannabis intoxications cause less of a decrease in driving ability then someone that consumed enough alcohol to blow a 0.8 (still less than the legal limit here in Michigan).

No matter how much cannabis I consume, or how potent it is, I can never see myself having any difficulty passing a roadside sobriety test.

However many prescription drugs I have been prescribed would definitely leave me incapable of driving safely.

Marijuana Induces Minimum Driving Impairment Compared to Alcohol, Toronto Study Says
just an fyi 0.08% is the blood-alcohol limit in Michigan

Is there a diff between medicating and being under the influence and thus at risk to work, drive or otherwise transact unimpaired. The zero tolerance policy that drives corporations like Wal-Mart to fire an exemplary employee or a judge to put someone in jail who somehow tested positive for a cannabis metabolite. Other states have DRE's or Drug Recognition Experts who at least use tests to determine driving ability as opposed to arresting anyone because the car smells like weed. What standard or test should or could be implemented that addresses any legitimate concerns about impaired driving. Cannabis has already been shown in the few studies done to be less impairing than other substances. (the worst "substance" for impairment is a cell phone)

I could not agree more, "quote" the worst substance for impairment is a cell phone

I could not agree more, unfortunatly it is against the law to drive under the influence of alcohol or any mind altering or dulling substance, to include presribed medication. they realy need to come up with some type of pbt to see how long ago you used mm. as of now I can go a week w/o using mm, and get pulled over and if cop wants to he can do a blood check on me for reasonable cause(he can make up his own reason) and i get imaired driving or worse. its not rite, I have never heard of anyone coming out of their house after burning one and running over a bunch of kids walking on the side walk, have you? but i have heard plenty of drunk and drugged (hard core or prescription, not mm) drivers kill people,,

Our day will come, we adults have had marijuana in our lifes whether you used or not, most of our lifes and we dont think it is as bad as those before us, in fact we know it is not...our kids were taught to just say no..they were taught to squeel out there parents if they are smoking something other than cigs, I know of people whos young kids told their teachers that there mom and or dad smokes pot and they got raided and kids taken from them,,,remember our kids my kids(im 47) were taught its a real bad thing. we need to inform every one of the great potential that cannabis has for medical reasons as well as industrial reasons, what a boom for the economy if they made cannabiss legal for farmers to grow!

there are so many good uses for cannabiss it boggles the mind why it would not be in every store, gas station,etc, everything that can be made from a tree can be made with cannabiss and be better, even fuel, plastic, you name it and we can make it with POT!

I look at it this way.... I know iam ok when driving BUT think of some of your friends.......maybe not "your friends" but some of the dumb people ya know. I know alot of people i wouldnt trust drivin and smokin or after smokin. I guess iam 50/50 on this. In one hand i want it to be legal to do but in the other i know some dumb people who shouldnt drive n smoke and normally wouldnt unless it was legal.

I think it'd be best if there was a way that police officers had a way to test drivers, who seem to be impaired, by using something similar to a breathalyser. Just like alcohol, for Michiganians it's 0.008%. It'd be helpful if there were a way to test someone who's used marijuana and seems to be driving erratically to be tested in a similar way.

To me, some drivers with licenses drive erratically, and they aren't even under the influence. Those are the people who scare me, and they are worse when on a cell phone, or have imbibed too much, or have used marijuana.

If you are a safe driver, and especially careful after you've used marijuana, you should be safe from the law. For now, we've no way to judge that, which is not a good thing. It's up to the officer who pulls you over to decide that on the spot--so it seems.

Archived