Dj Shorts Genetics

Hey everyone. I wanted to get a topic going on DJ's strains. I am currently running his True Blue and have worked with his F-13 and Old Time Moonshine. VERY IMPORTANT: I forget where I saw this but I do know that Grape Krush will be gone once it is all sold out and either F-13 or True Blue(or both I'm not sure)will also be gone as DJ lost the mother and or father to these strains, so get them while you still can. I don't think it was DJ's fault,he had entrusted them to someone else who lost them. I can't find his announcement on the subject. I think it was at IC mag where I read it, but there are SO many threads over there that feature DJ it may take a little while to find the actual announcement. If I find it I will post it under this topic. If anyone else finds the info first please post it as these are all phenomenal strains and we won't be able to get them much longer. I'm surprised that F-13 is still available as it is incredible and is DJ's favorite strain as of this time and his announcement on these strains loss was probably over six months ago.If anyone is not familiar with F-13 it was a cross that DJ made between a female Flo and a male Blueberry. I was so sorry to have lost this strain and his Old time Moonshine to an overzealous ex(if anyone has access to either strain PM me PLEASE). Both of those strains are in Jason Kings top 10 favorites in The Cannabible 3.

i find dj strains to be severely lacking in potency. good flavor but weak high. maybe good for those new to the stronger medical strains available today.

It can be a selection process with DJ's gear as it has a heavy Thai influence but once you get the pheno you want there is nothing comparable(you need to look for a heavier indica expression for pain needs). Most of his gear has an anti-anxiety effect with flavors and smells that are incomparable. F-13 can set you back if you get the right pheno(so can Blueberry). If you want a HEAVY medication from him then try his Blue Moonshine or Old Time Moonshine(if you can find the OTM).They both have excellent pain killing properties and not a lot of selection process for some reason with a heavier indica influence. OTM will vary a lot but every expression is out of this world. OTM was a VERY limited release which is actually the F-4 or F-5 in a particular Blueberry line of which Blue Moonshine is the F-3 or F-4 in that line(not sure which, I don't have the article available at the moment).

OTM was a HighTimes top 10 strain in either 2007 or 2008 and has many more variations(all great) than Blue Moonshine which is why it is coveted.

I am growing both the Grape Krush and Blueberry by DJ Short. The Grape Krush does not lack in potency whatsoever. The Blueberry is yet to be determined as they are 3 weeks into flowering but looking very promising, larger yield than Grape Krush.

I will have both strains available in seed form by the end of summer.

I will have both strains available in seed form by the end of summer.

Will the Grape Krush be feminized initially? Were you able to get a decent male and are you planning to eventually do some backcrossing and outcrossing?

I am just curious as it would be cool to be able to get a nice male as I hear Grape Krush is a wicked good strain to outcross. I remember seeing a strain someone named "Retardo Montibalmo" on IC-Mag that was either Bubba Kush or one of the Chemdawgs outcrossed with it and it looked amazing. I hear it can add a lot to the yield on an outcross.

Will the Grape Krush be feminized initially? Were you able to get a decent male and are you planning to eventually do some backcrossing and outcrossing?

I am just curious as it would be cool to be able to get a nice male as I hear Grape Krush is wicked good strain to outcross. I remember seeing a strain someone named "Retardo Montibalmo" on IC-Mag that was either Bubba Kush or one of the Chemdawgs outcrossed with it and it looked amazing. I hear it can add a lot to the yield on an outcross.

I did get a decent male with the Grape Krush so no they will not be feminized. I have already backcrossed once and am now working on what would be my F3 but who knows how many times DJ Short inbred it.

I also pollenated a Grape Krush with a Chemdog DD male, those should be interesting :)

I did get a decent male with the Grape Krush so no they will not be feminized. I have already backcrossed once and am now working on what would be my F3 but who knows how many times DJ Short inbred it.

I also pollenated a Grape Krush with a Chemdog DD male, those should be interesting :)

Thanks for saving us the Krush! Start a topic on the cross and give us periodic updates and pictures please.

How about the Blueberry?

I am just curious as it would be cool to be able to get a nice male as I hear Grape Krush is a wicked good strain to outcross. I remember seeing a strain someone named "Retardo Montibalmo" on IC-Mag that was either Bubba Kush or one of the Chemdawgs outcrossed with it and it looked amazing. I hear it can add a lot to the yield on an outcross.

I wouldn't try to make a feminized Grape Krush line, it already has hermie issues. I've come to find out that DJ Short's Grape Krush comes from the same genetics that the original Grape Crush came from, note the different spelling.

I used Grape Crush to make Space Crush which is Apollo13 x Grape Crush. It's awesome smoke and has a grapefruit kind of flavor. Grape Crush was initially bred by Quimik and here is the genetics:

BCGAs Pink Grapefruit Cocktail X BCGAs Orange Crush

OC(aerics cali-O x DJs blueberry)

PGC(sweet pink grapefruit x C99)

Quimik got the breeder plants from Vic High the breeder for BCGA. It's interesting to me that Vic didn't release the line himself. Instead he "gave" Quimik the breeder plants and let Quimik take the credit. Now DJ Short is taking the credit. I know Vic is quite anal and it wouldn't surprise me that he had somebody else release it for him because the Space Crush is quite an unstable line. The flavor is extreme and the the effect is strong but often short lived. Grape Crush is notorious to hermie.

I have been breeding Apollo13 to my (quimik's) GC in hopes to stabilize something with that unique flavor. A13 is notorious to NOT hermie and I hope that the latest back cross (Apollo13 x Space Crush) I made will do the trick. Just harvested the seeds yesterday and will be testing them as soon as they dry.

Apollo13 is very tasty, smooth fast and potent. It has already lent quite a bit to the project. Space Crush (A13 x Grape Crush) is very popular at certain private clubs (basically wherever it gets shared). It's nice and smooth if grown and cured properly.

space-crush-46-days-SMALL.jpg

I wouldn't try to make a feminized Grape Krush line, it already has hermie issues. I've come to find out that DJ Short's Grape Krush comes from the same genetics that the original Grape Crush came from, note the different spelling.

Grape Krush was ALWAYS a DJ Short strain. It has nothing to do with the Grape Crush you are talking about. It was bred from select Blueberry lines that only DJ holds. Most of his other current strains are also developed from several different Blueberry lines. Grape Krush can have a hermaphrodite issue because of the heavy Lowland Thai and Highland Thai influence in the Blueberry lines. ANY strain that uses Thai as a cross can be prone to the hermaphrodite trait if you do not select properly. If you look at any pure Thai in flowering you will almost always find fertile male flowers.

Grape Krush was ALWAYS a DJ Short strain. It has nothing to do with the Grape Crush you are talking about. It was bred from select Blueberry lines that only DJ holds. Most of his other current strains are also developed from several different Blueberry lines. Grape Krush can have a hermaphrodite issue because of the heavy Lowland Thai and Highland Thai influence in the Blueberry lines. ANY strain that uses Thai as a cross can be prone to the hermaphrodite trait if you do not select properly. If you look at any pure Thai in flowering you will almost always find fertile male flowers.

Yea I was just gonna say you beat me to it.

Which makes using strains with such strong hermaphrodite genes a terrible choice for making feminized beans.

Only if you don't select for that trait, which a good breeder would do. I should probably mention that almost all of DJ Shorts currently available strains have a Thai influence, so crossing his strains with others without a good selection process can result in the hermaphrodite trait to show up in the cross. Generally the hermaphrodite trait isn't strong and usually results in just a few male flowers(kind of like Trainwreck). However if you use a good selection process for DJ's strains you generally do not have to worry about the trait expressing itself in the cross, although the trait can show up in subsequent generations if you do not continue the selection process in the new cross.

Think of all the strains that have Blueberry crossed into them, most are stable because the breeders took the time to select the right Blueberry genotype to make the cross with. If you are a novice breeder or don't have the time and space neccesary to do a good selection process then you probably should not consider using Blueberry or any of DJ's strains made from the different Blueberry lines to make an outcross. Most of DJ Shorts currently available strains are bred from different Blueberry lines and have some type of Thai in them, either Highland Thai which is also called Juicy Fruit Thai or Purple Thai which is a cross between Lowland Thai (Chocolate Thai) and Mexican Highland Oaxaca Gold.

Only if you don't select for that trait, which a good breeder would do. I should probably mention that almost all of DJ Shorts currently available strains have a Thai influence, so crossing his strains with others without a good selection process can result in the hermaphrodite trait to show up in the cross. Generally the hermaphrodite trait isn't strong and usually results in just a few male flowers(kind of like Trainwreck). However if you use a good selection process for DJ's strains you generally do not have to worry about the trait expressing itself in the cross, although the trait can show up in subsequent generations if you do not continue the selection process in the new cross.

Think of all the strains that have Blueberry crossed into them, most are stable because the breeders took the time to select the right Blueberry genotype to make the cross with. If you are a novice breeder or don't have the time and space neccesary to do a good selection process then you probably should not consider using Blueberry or any of DJ's strains made from the different Blueberry lines to make an outcross. Most of DJ Shorts currently available strains are bred from different Blueberry lines and have some type of Thai in them, either Highland Thai which is also called Juicy Fruit Thai or Purple Thai which is a cross between Lowland Thai (Chocolate Thai) and Mexican Highland Oaxaca Gold.

I personally don't have much respect for DJ Short. His flagship strain, Blueberry as a whole is a joke. I paid top dollar for his blueberry beans and didn't get a single plant that exhibited a flavor remotely close to blueberry. The smoke was mediocre at best. I even got 2 hermie plants. I got the seeds from Legends Seeds and I know for a fact they were the real deal. Red, the owner of Legends is quite chummy with DJ Short. Remember their colab cross called Legends Ultimate Indica? Well when I got LUI I also got blueberry and paid out the nose for it I might add.

Yes, I have tasted some very nice blueberry bud in my time but I now know that you have to purchase many packs of DJ's blueberry and still get lucky to get a nice blueberry tasting plant. Red was charging $120 a pack for that junk and it wasn't worth $10. In fact I grew out a $15 pack of nirvana blueberry (the name has since been changed to blue mistic) and it was far better quality than what DJ offered for 9 times the price.

I paid $150 a pack for original Brothers Grimm C99 and got what I paid for, it was worth every penny. It's not a sin to charge a healthy price for quality but what DJ charges for his Blueberry seeds is seriously underhanded. He's banking on his name which I find a joke in itself. It's amazing how "breeders" produce shoddy product and charge top dollar for it and so many folks are willing to jump on the praise wagon.

There was no comparison. The $150 Cinderella 99 offered so many killer plants it was tough to make a decision which to keep. I personally didn't keep a Nirvana Blueberry plant either but at $15 it was better than DJ's and I didn't feel raped when it wasn't quite what I expected.

Apples to Apples there and two close comparisons, price and strain.

If I was the original creator of a strain and had others out there offering a better version of my strain I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. DJ just charges 9 times the price.

that looks really nice at 46 days Tricloud

I am working on DSJ Grape Krush x DJS Blueberry hoping to breed that hermie gene out, gonna be nice regardless im thinking.

Thanks Herban, you should see her at 9 weeks she gets seriously huge colas. Space Crush is one of the favorite meds at the Genesee County CC. Yes it does have blueberry in it lol.

Archived