240 V Thru A 100 Ft Extension Cord?

thatoneartist

if you still need help with this please list the watts you need. I'm sure the $10 is a piece or crap, it would need to be atleast 14g. That would be about a 5% voltage drop, right at the max drop but do able. So the answer is yes you can 'rig' a 14g extension cord for 220... Can you find a 2pole 15a breaker to protect it?

I would recommend a 12g cord protected by a 2p20a breaker.

Commercial 220v /dual pole single through/ timer switch.. usually around $40-$50 will be your solution, with a 12 ga service cable on a 2p20a breaker. Remember to do your math and check your timer first before you wire... Most 110v timers are rated for 600-800w and some even 1000w tungsten..a 1000w ballast will cause any of these timers to operate at peak and possibly fail. Any other questions just ask... Peace

Edit... Yes and as stated below, If you find some reason that you have to use an extension cord, Make sure it is sized appropriately to the load you are going to draw through it.. If you have a 14ga cord plugged into a 20a outlet that's a big problem... Pay attention to the distance you are trying to travel... The longer the distance the higher the voltage drop!! If you have to travel a long distance you may need to up the size wire you run.

I would say wire it up correctly and to CODE! If not, you not only loose your house and all your stuff from a fire, but your ins. company WONT pay for a thing. What I would do is run REAL electric wires from your breaker box to the grow room. At least for your lights. I can only bet that your 100ft. ext. cord is cheep and could easily get way to hot and start on fire. And I had to pay like 30$ for my 100ft ext cord, where did you get one for 10?

A 15 amp cord is what i first used on my 1000 watt hps /mh light it worked very well but i eventually went with running another circuit out of my breaker box and wired a 20 amp breaker toa new grow room plug.

My advice for you is get at least the above mentioned 15 amp cord and don't have them under any rugs or furniture and occasionally check them by holding them for heat the plug from my ballast gets hot but the 15 amp cord it was plugged into stayed cool.

Safety first buds next

With any grow room I was told this long ago('82) and I pass it on as good advice. Run power above the belt and run water below the belt.

Yes... yes.. Defiantly... In fact I like to see all outlets in the ceiling, with in-use cord outlet covers. Suspend your cables from the ceiling as well with nylon zip ties and or nylon screw clips.. I don't think a water connection is a good idea in a flower or veg room.. That is a direct source to ground and is unnecessary.. Bring your water and nutes in containers into your room.. Most of the time you can't use tap water on your plants anyway because of PH or chlorine content.

Archived