Flint Center Inspires Mdch To Dream Big

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/07/post_123.html

Excerpt:

As long as the patient signs a consent form, it’s legal for the center to retrieve a patient’s medical records, said James McCurtis, a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Community Health.

But the state has concerns about the center pairing patients with its physicians “just so the doctors can do a quick evaluation and then recommend medical marijuana.”

“A patient and doctor should have an established relationship,” McCurtis added. “A patient should discuss the pros and cons with their regular doctor, not going to see a doctor that is the equivalent of going to a drive-in.”

I'm sure what he meant to say was something more along the lines of:

"Frankly, we would prefer things to remain as they are, where drive-in doctors can write a quick Vicodin script."

Mothers, don't let your children grow up to be flacks...

This is just laughable. What percentage of the state people don't even have a doctor that they can see regularly? This isn't by Choice! It's because of no access to health coverage, no money to afford health care or prescriptions for that matter. What are these guys drinking with their coffee??? And when the state and government demonize the recommendations needed from a doctor, you are very very hard pressed to find any doctor working for a Hospital, VA, or Health-group that can give you the recommendation because it's against their "policy". Such Hypocrisy, it just boils my blood.

This is just laughable. What percentage of the state people don't even have a doctor that they can see regularly? This isn't by Choice! It's because of no access to health coverage, no money to afford health care or prescriptions for that matter. What are these guys drinking with their coffee??? And when the state and government demonize the recommendations needed from a doctor, you are very very hard pressed to find any doctor working for a Hospital, VA, or Health-group that can give you the recommendation because it's against their "policy". Such Hypocrisy, it just boils my blood.

Nemosity I meant to positive rep you and I hit the wrong button. I'm SO Sorry! I totally agree with ya! (blushing!)

Can someone please fix this?

Sb

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, Flint Township officials decided that Nick's sign, which read "Medical Marijuana Consultants", in part, needed to be covered up, as it represented "Moral Turpitude". Those words remain covered today, since Nick has no martyrdom interests. Last night, the Township board unanimously passed a moratorium on businesses that permit "marijuana use" in their premises. Furthermore, by a 3-3 vote, they failed to pass a measure which would have denied Nick a 'grandfather' exemption in this case.

They will meet again on Aug 9, where the 4th vote against Nick is likely to attend.

It is important to note that Nick does not have any consumable marijuana or preparation in this facility. Despite the fact that all 20 precincts in Flint Township voted for the proposal, over 60% of township residents supported it. And yet these people have the nerve to tell him that the words "medical marijuana" on a sign constitute moral turpitude.

To their credit, the Board agreed to attend a special class that Nick offered for free, describing the Act, the Program, and the role of local governments as they relate to it, and the state of the industry in general.

Nevertheless, this is a pure assault on Nick's First Amendment rights, from a local unit of government which must answer directly to its residents, rather than a federal entity over which we have no real influence. This is a battle that must be joined. Nick said this morning that he would contact the ACLU. I'll keep you updated as these events unfold.

Archived