Plant Help!

ish001

Hi,

I'm using pro mix bx and earth juice nutrients....

my ph keeps creeping near 7+ and I am having trouble bringing it down to the 5.8 I'm told it should be at.

Does anybody use Earth juice?

Do you ph adjust your nutrients prior to feeding?

http://www.rollitup.org/organics/296253-earth-juice-helpful-information.html

the link above says there is no need to ph adjust

the bottle says to ph adjust for recirculating hydro systems, but not for other..

After calling several retailers of Earth juice, the majority swayed to ph balancing the nutes before feeding...

Attached is a picture of a leaf,

some current ones suffer from this issue..

this is on the larger leaves on the top of flowering plants,

...the bottoms are not affected

I've been flushing, any thoughts on what if anything I should do?

I cant see your pics so its hard to say what you have going on, im going to assume its calcium and or magnesium lockout, usually whats going on if you have improper ph.

Yes ALWAYS adjust your ph. For soiless mixes like promix without adding any soil amendments I would stay 6.0-6.3 ph

For most fertilizers adjust your ph after you add your base fertilizer then add your extras then adjust ph again

I allow my soiless fertilizer mixes to aerate overnight to make sure the ph is stable and locked in where I want it before I use it.

I have no experience with pro mix. But I use earth juice with FFOF soil, I amend the soil using BurnOne's soil recipe on ICmag, extra perlite, earth worm castings, and dolomite lime. (Ill get ratios if you want)

After making your earth juice mix, you bubble your mix with an air bubbler. This aerating will bring your tea to life, this life will raise your ph from where the teas start (around 4-5) to whatever you want, just catch it when it is in your desired range. DO NOT USE regular ph adjusting agents with organic grows, it will kill the mircoherd.

I dont test ph, btw. I just bubble for 12-24 hrs to oxygenate the mix, and the properly amended soil buffers, so the plants can uptake. Theres probably a better method, but this currently works just fine for me.

I have no experience with pro mix. But I use earth juice with FFOF soil, I amend the soil using BurnOne's soil recipe on ICmag, extra perlite, earth worm castings, and dolomite lime. (Ill get ratios if you want)

After making your earth juice mix, you bubble your mix with an air bubbler. This aerating will bring your tea to life, this life will raise your ph from where the teas start (around 4-5) to whatever you want, just catch it when it is in your desired range. DO NOT USE regular ph adjusting agents with organic grows, it will kill the mircoherd.

I dont test ph, btw. I just bubble for 12-24 hrs to oxygenate the mix, and the properly amended soil buffers, so the plants can uptake. Theres probably a better method, but this currently works just fine for me.

I appreciate the info...

ish001

How are you testing your PH? I assume you are testing run-off... Are you testing with liquids? Pen? paper? soil stick tester?

The reason i ask is i was just having a chat dicussion with another member here (THC-farmer) and he says he runs PH at like 7-7.2 for his soil grow??

My understanding is/was that soil PH range is like 5.8-6.2...but that changed with his input... always something new and different... but with that, you could be UNDER in PH?

and also because soil buffers PH it stands to reason that you would need to OVER PH the solution to change the soil PH...

you might have to PH to 4.3 to achieve a run-off PH of "5.8" for your target..

Just thoughts for you to consider... I personally go with the majority opinion (statistics don't lie), but also try and offer a different look at things than the others...

Sometimes the obvious isn't always clear..

Hope it works out for ya Bud..!

ish001

How are you testing your PH? I assume you are testing run-off... Are you testing with liquids? Pen? paper? soil stick tester?

The reason i ask is i was just having a chat dicussion with another member here (THC-farmer) and he says he runs PH at like 7-7.2 for his soil grow??

My understanding is/was that soil PH range is like 5.8-6.2...but that changed with his input... always something new and different... but with that, you could be UNDER in PH?

and also because soil buffers PH it stands to reason that you would need to OVER PH the solution to change the soil PH...

Just thoughts for you to consider... I personally go with the majority opinion (statistics don't lie), but also try and offer a different look at things than the others...

i run 6.7 to 7.0 works for me

ish001

Thank you.

I have a blue lab combo meter that I use to test the runoff water, &

recently bought a more expensive Hanna meter that can be used directly in wet or dry soil.

I was told that promix is a soilless medium and that ideally I want a ph of as you stated 5.8-6.2

when mixed with tap water in its recommended proportions, earth juice seems to average a ph of 4.2,

seemingly my problems are caused by adding the ph up....

"wingdings" below suggested "DO NOT USE regular ph adjusting agents with organic grows, it will kill the mircoherd"

..again, I appreciate all the insight guys, thanks!

hey ish, how are the ladies doing?

I was doing some reading about EJ mixes and thought about your issues. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=125402&page=5

Page 5 of this thread has a great discussion about brewing Earth Juice mixes and maintaining a healthy ph. After reading this, I am thinking about starting to check my ph to catch it in the optimal range when bubbling.

I forgot to add, you should also add a sugar source (molasses) and some microbes (earth worm castings) to the mix before you brew it to get the life started.

hey ish, how are the ladies doing?

I was doing some reading about EJ mixes and thought about your issues. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=125402&page=5

Page 5 of this thread has a great discussion about brewing Earth Juice mixes and maintaining a healthy ph. After reading this, I am thinking about starting to check my ph to catch it in the optimal range when bubbling.

I forgot to add, you should also add a sugar source (molasses) and some microbes (earth worm castings) to the mix before you brew it to get the life started.

Hi, Today was the first feeding they've gotten since I started the topic..the leaf issue that was in question seems to have been halted.

From your previous advice, I searched burnone's topics and found some great stuff on growing organic.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

I believe my problem stemmed from chlorine in the water.

I used to use a tap water dechlorinator, but stopped when I ran out a week or so before the problem arose.

I never have bubbled Earth juice and have always had nice results. Although I have always used EJ ph up to adjust ph.

I am experimenting with not adjusting the ph nor bubbling (a step I hope never to have to accommodate at my site)

Grassburner419 goes more into depth on Earth juice (same as on your page 5 link)

http://www.rollitup.org/organics/296253-earth-juice-helpful-information.html

below is an excerpt....

"This is the most common question we hear . . .

“Is it absolutely necessary to pre-mix and bubble / aerate Earth Juice fertilizers before use ? ? ?“

Our simple answer is no it’s not necessary at all . . . but Earth Juice will be more efficiently and effectively used if “brewed” for 24-48 hours before use . . . in organic farming the old adage is “feed the soil not the plant” . . . and making your Earth Juice fert mix into an aerated tea maximizes the benefits it can provide for your plants . . . but they will work fine if used without any premixing or bubbling . . .

we would also like to add that if you do not care to go to the bother of premixing and aerating your Earth Juice . . . that you use the fertilizers in smaller / lighter proportions . . .

We also hear this question a lot . . .

“What about the low pH of those Earth Juice fertilizers? - Will that low pH harm my plants?”

And our simple answer is that there’s likely little concern about that issue unless your growing medium is already abnormally acidic . . . but we can also say that the pre-mixing and bubbling/aerating we talked about in the prior question will moderate the pH to an extent . . . and that can allow heavier feedings overall . . ."

something to consider... for a long time i would just use tap water mix nutes and water the plants with them... my ph was a solid 7.0.. which is standard for most city tap water.. but then i discovered that if i let my water sit overnight an aerate it in a 5 gallon the ph goes down as the chlorine leaves the CITY water... I know tap water isnt the best for them but hey i make due... so i would let my ph naturally lower before adding nutes and ph down let water sit a day or 2 before adding these.. or u might add them and get ur target ph but not a true reading because the chlorine evaporates and now ur ph is 4.3 or something... try it... always balance ph after all other additives my experience is that most nutes lower ph naturally

Archived