Taxing Cannabis Is The Help Cities Need.

greenbuddha

Berkeley California is about to 'legally' tax cannabis. Once the dough starts to roll in and the politicians get their hands on it cannabis will become the new 'cash cow'... and we ALL know how a fresh flash of cash is hard to put down.

Pols ALWAYS like a new flow of the 'green stuff''.

Let's all say 'pay raises and larger gov agencies'... gets em every time... all together now!

http://cannabisnews.com/news/25/thread25805.shtml

This is the same carrot that guy in Royal Oak is dangling in front of that zoning board and city counsel! Taxes and additional licensing to lease a grow space! I'm against it and can see no good from it at all.....other than LEO will now have a One Stop Shopping Center to bust us when we pull out or hey how about following us to our patients homes, but heck you already know who I am you ran my license plate on my way in or out!

Sorry to those who think filling warehouses with grow rooms, adding a city tax and another license for the city is a good idea. I'm open to the other side of the coin if anyone can explain the benefits a patient will get from this because now the price of meds just went up. Not to mention the money grab between those money hungry politicians who do nothing but give themselves raises along with all their staff at our expense.....wow did I just type that and I'm a politician???? Oh, thats right I'm out for strict reforms on politicians wages and benefits as well as the over spending on BS trips and the list goes on. I pay huge taxes as a business owner and homeowner.

Dizz

Cannabis was made illegal through taxes

Maybe it can be revived through taxes

After all....we are not going to overturn the entire tax system!

We will be lucky just to get this stuff legit much less legal or mainstreamed

I say taxing it makes it legal

taxing makes it mainstream it and greenbuddha is right they dont want turn down a dollar

I would say taxing it is sort of an insurance policy once it grows significantly not just politicians but the people will want it around for revenue

Makes sense to me...but its rattled around in my brain for few years before I came to these concultions

Cannabis was made illegal through taxes

Maybe it can be revived through taxes

After all....we are not going to overturn the entire tax system!

We will be lucky just to get this stuff legit much less legal or mainstreamed

I say taxing it makes it legal

taxing makes it mainstream it and greenbuddha is right they dont want turn down a dollar

I would say taxing it is sort of an insurance policy once it grows significantly not just politicians but the people will want it around for revenue

Makes sense to me...but its rattled around in my brain for few years before I came to these concultions

Herb, that's exactly what I think would happen.

Get it TAXED and it becomes legitimate.

Once it's on the books as 'taxable'... as with everything the government does... it (cannabis) would NEVER go away or become illegal again.

And also once it's lagit the voters could start to 'change' the way it is 'grown', sold and handled... that is IF the voter gets off their a**.

This is the same carrot that guy in Royal Oak is dangling in front of that zoning board and city counsel! Taxes and additional licensing to lease a grow space! I'm against it and can see no good from it at all.....other than LEO will now have a One Stop Shopping Center to bust us when we pull out or hey how about following us to our patients homes, but heck you already know who I am you ran my license plate on my way in or out!

Sorry to those who think filling warehouses with grow rooms, adding a city tax and another license for the city is a good idea. I'm open to the other side of the coin if anyone can explain the benefits a patient will get from this because now the price of meds just went up. Not to mention the money grab between those money hungry politicians who do nothing but give themselves raises along with all their staff at our expense.....wow did I just type that and I'm a politician???? Oh, thats right I'm out for strict reforms on politicians wages and benefits as well as the over spending on BS trips and the list goes on. I pay huge taxes as a business owner and homeowner.

Dizz

Dizz, never heard of a LEO OR a politician (except for you of course) 'EVER' turn down a pay raise.

Once it (cannabis) was taxed and LEO realized that that pay 'raise' and the new billy club they're carrying was purchased by the taxes from cannabis they might start to see things differently.

Once more money came in to them from legally taxed cannabis maybe they'd stop relying on raids to give the 'department' a new 'chase car'.

Can't wait to see how it works out in Berkeley, Cal.

But as with everything else... it'll take Michigan another twenty years to 'go green' even after California legalizes it.

Keep cookin', Baby. Love those recipes.

Right...

The last thing we need is Marlboro selling acapulco gold filters on billboard

Well maybe not the last thing...who knows

With tobbacco there are places to get organic exellent tobbacco some strains I think are illegal though...That's the fear of it becoming too mainstream and stupid

But we need it for the planet's consciousness...medicine...food...fuel..building materials

People just wont survive in a stupid 60 second news cycle alcohol soaked cut down some more trees I need a deck so I can bbq a pig fat pig like I'm becoming society of clueless degenerate morons !

Something has gotta give ...cannabis is that something ...give it to us!

Big victory with HEMP foods ...now we have hemp foods being legally imported....hemp protein hemp oil supplements which is awesome!

Live on hemp make hemp a lifestyle of the future...start harmonizing with nature instead just tapping it for resources because we want the money

Oh dont even get me started...cannabis and hemp are the environment social spiritual healthcare economic educational and fun answers to the future of human beings

Its a "symbiotic relationship" between cannabis and humans...

A symbiotic relationship is a relationship between two entities which is mutually beneficial for the participants of the relationship. Thus there is a positive-sum gain from cooperation. This is a term commonly used in biology to explain the relationship between two entities that need each other to survive and prosper.

http://www.learnthat.com/define/view.asp?id=338

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, taxing medical cannabis is a great idea! I've read a lot about their thoughts behind their self inflicted tax. Imagine what taxation could do for our economy! And like stated earlier, once it's taxable and the government realizes the amount of revenue that can be gained from taxation. . . Magic!

Please people, you think you don't pay enough taxes? Well, feel free to send the state a check, but please leave the rest of us alone. I will say this, that more taxes never helped any economy. What it does is it makes the government larger by stealing resources from individual humans, wasting most of it, and dispersing your resources however it seems fit. How about instead of us clamoring to be taxed and regulated for a short term goal, we fight for our individual human rights?

Americans are now conditioned to believe that regulate and tax everything is the only way to go...

So sad and still hard to believe.....:(

The power to tax is the power to control and destroy. If we want to keep the cure free we can't offer the gov't a leash, in the form of taxation, by which to heel us. This is a freedom issue as well as a medical one, it's as if you,re asking permission for your rights. We have a corrupt and criminal gov't they don't need more money and control. END THE WAR FEED THE POOR....

Romen & Bisharoo,

hopefully the politicians and the voters would have enough sense to pass or vote in legislation that would EXEMPT 'MMJ' from taxes for use by registered patients' just as there is NO tax on medications right now in Michigan.

The 'taxation' issue is primarily aimed at the 'legalization' of 'cannabis' for public use, NOT for taxing 'medical marijuana'.

IF cannabis was 'legalized' for use by the general public it would almost certainly be taxed just as alcohol is right now. There would be no way of getting around that fact.

AND... IF cannabis for use by the public IS legalized and taxed at the STATE LEVEL the police raids on MMJ patients (as long as they were following the law) would stop. The Federal government would also have to change Federal law OR MAKE THE STATE AN OUTLAW and send in the troops.

AND HOPEFULLY if cannabis for public use was made legal a person would be allowed to grow an amount of 'cannabis' for 'personal use, just as you are allowed to do right now with alcohol.

Of course if a person grows more than the law would allow then that person is going to have problems.

God bless California, I hope they get it passed this November, life will change for the better for ALL of us.

I say legalize it for use just like alcohol... AND TAX IT JUST LIKE ALCOHOL, but of course exempt MMJ patients from paying ANY tax on it.

Buddtender! Cannabis for everyone... The smiles are on me today.

I agree with the distinction between legalization and med use. My fear would be that they might abolish the med concept, after all it's not recognized by insurance or what some might call "serious doctors". We must continue the fight for med acceptance before we get ahead of ourselves.Hoping for common sense from politicians could be scary.I'm sure we would agree more than disagree but its fun to dicuss.

END THE WAR FEED THE POOR!

I agree with the distinction between legalization and med use. My fear would be that they might abolish the med concept, after all it's not recognized by insurance or what some might call "serious doctors". We must continue the fight for med acceptance before we get ahead of ourselves.Hoping for common sense from politicians could be scary.I'm sure we would agree more than disagree but its fun to dicuss.

END THE WAR FEED THE POOR!

Yes, I'm sure we would agree more than disagree.

I think we all want the same thing... freedom in our lives which includes the right to determine WHAT we put into our bodies and personal choice in how our lives will be lived.

I for one hope that California can set the standard of cannabis legalization, and perhaps then 'legalization' will eventually make it here to Michigan, and in that regard I think it is VERY important not to limit our thinking to just what is going on here in Michigan because the issue of personal freedoms is a NATIONAL effort.

We here in Michigan can not afford to limit our thinking as it relates to cannabis or any other personal freedom issue. We can move ahead slowly and progress right along with the rest of the more progressive parts of the nation. If we shut down and become 'protectionists' we will lose many opportunities to grow both individually and as a State.

Thanks for your thoughts. They are much appreciated.

Archived