Blood Glucose Levels Down

I am a Type 2 diabetic who controls the disease with only diet and excercise. I started using Marijuana for pain relief but it also seems to have stabilized my blood glucose levels. I no longer have large swings after high carbohydrate meals. An unintended but welcome side effect.

I knew there were articles that say MM may help everything from A to Z, but had never read the diabetes sections. I have fat boy type 2 diabetes, and have taken Lantus for four years, and Glucovance for many more, and had plateaued to the point that I stopped checking myself, and missed a lab visit, so I went the five months since I started medicating for back pain without checking glucose, a1c or triglycerides. I did know I had lost about 20 pounds.

When I saw my internist, who is unaware of the MM, he and I were shocked at the lab results. All 3 were in normal range for first time ever, and glucose was actually low. It was goofy to the point I thought maybe I got someone else's results. The doctor asked if I had increased the Lantus insulin, and I said no, and he said "Well, you may be taking too much". I got a new battery for my meter, and glucose is lower than it ever has been, and I have decreased the insulin to raise it a bit, as it was only 60 or so in the AM, down from 120 to 150 or more.

For any diabetics who begin using MM, be aware and check your blood suger.

For MDCH, diabetes should be on the list, both for neuropathy and retinopathy, or avoiding them, and for reducing need for insulin and other meds.

PB - any suggestions for strains that are particularly helpful for diabetics?

• 4 weeks later...

im a diabetic type 1. Now MMJ helps me deal with depression and anxiety of being a diabetic. But No way in hell it lowers your Blood sugar. ive been a diabetic for 13 years. hell i've had a insulin pump for the last 6.

But if you think smoking a joint help you controll it better im all for it. But i can tell you from 13years of being type one that it no way lowers your sugar. It can make you feel like your blood sugar is low. The same feeling you get when your sugar hits 80 then falls to 65 is the same feeling of the munchies. slight head tingle and hunger.

Now i think smokeing pot is good for a diabetic to keep eating properly the best thing a diabetic can do is eat lots of small meals. IE munching. its much healthyer for a diabetic to eat 4-8 small meals a day then it is to eat 2-3 large meals. for simple fact when you eat large meals a few times a day youre sugar peaks then has a long ramp of slowly falling back in to place witch is how the avg person eats. As a diabetic with the munchies eating many smaller meals will keep your sugars in check by allowing it to rise a little then fall back to where it should be aslong as you are medicating with insulian.

Now im not saying it isn't beneficial for a diabetic to smoke pot for other ailment's due to being a diabetic But No way in hell it lowers your sugar. If anything you are changing your personal habits of shoving food in your over weight body. I applause you for that because you are changing your health from being unhealthy and fat to moving to a slimmer healthy way of life.

over the years ive grown to dislike type 2 people :( shame on you for abusing your body.

im a diabetic type 1. Now MMJ helps me deal with depression and anxiety of being a diabetic. But No way in hell it lowers your Blood sugar. ive been a diabetic for 13 years. hell i've had a insulin pump for the last 6.

But if you think smoking a joint help you controll it better im all for it. But i can tell you from 13years of being type one that it no way lowers your sugar. It can make you feel like your blood sugar is low. The same feeling you get when your sugar hits 80 then falls to 65 is the same feeling of the munchies. slight head tingle and hunger.

Now i think smokeing pot is good for a diabetic to keep eating properly the best thing a diabetic can do is eat lots of small meals. IE munching. its much healthyer for a diabetic to eat 4-8 small meals a day then it is to eat 2-3 large meals. for simple fact when you eat large meals a few times a day youre sugar peaks then has a long ramp of slowly falling back in to place witch is how the avg person eats. As a diabetic with the munchies eating many smaller meals will keep your sugars in check by allowing it to rise a little then fall back to where it should be aslong as you are medicating with insulian.

Now im not saying it isn't beneficial for a diabetic to smoke pot for other ailment's due to being a diabetic But No way in hell it lowers your sugar. If anything you are changing your personal habits of shoving food in your over weight body. I applause you for that because you are changing your health from being unhealthy and fat to moving to a slimmer healthy way of life.

over the years ive grown to dislike type 2 people :( shame on you for abusing your body.

It probably has a larger impact on type 2 than type 1.

But it has been shown to have impact on type 1 also.

You are right about smoking a joint to target diabetes. It doesn't work very well.

May I suggest you take a look at this list. There is a section about diabetes in it. Down a couple of pages.

If the truth won't do, there's something wrong

And different people react to different medicines differently. You have your body and I've got mine.

In lab rat tests with type one diabetic mice, they found a positive effect in about 85$ of the rats. It would be nice if the government would get out of the way of the human testing.

I'm a type two on insulin injections daily, both long acting and quick acting, I'm still waitng my time, but I do plan on monitoring it once I start to medicate for another condition. I read a number of research posts about how it helps. So I'm quite exited to see how it changes. I'll also report any changes I see over time to substantiate how it worked for me. Really glad to hear its helping you, gives me some hope.

It probably has a larger impact on type 2 than type 1.But it has been shown to have impact on type 1 also.You are right about smoking a joint to target diabetes. It doesn't work very well.May I suggest you take a look at this list. There is a section about diabetes in it. Down a couple of pages.If the truth won't do, there's something wrongAnd different people react to different medicines differently. You have your body and I've got mine.In lab rat tests with type one diabetic mice, they found a positive effect in about 85$ of the rats. It would be nice if the government would get out of the way of the human testing.

Thanks for the link. I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm using cannabis to control my diabetes. I just noticed that since I have been medicating with it my blood glucose levels seem to be more stable. It would surely need a long term study to discover positive cause and effect. I would never recommend that anyone try to tackle this disease without the help of medical professionals.

The fact that Cannabis may reduce blood glucose levels in some individuals is HUGE !!

That is because Type II Diabetes is a strong predictor for Alzheimer's !!!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1215243,00.html

Once the rapidly increasing boomer set comes to recognize this connection, the pressure for legalization of MJ will be tremendous !!!

We need to get statistics re the frequency of individuals whose blood glucose levels are reduced via MMJ.

My earlier survey showed that individuals using MMJ to reduce pain reported a 70-80 percent reduction in opiate usage.

I will try to get these statistics by opening another page on this specific topic.

Dr. Jinx

Hi Doc;

re Alzheimer's. I read somewhere that there seems to be some sort of inoculation effect from cannabis. Those who were smoking in the 60's and 70's don't seem to get the condition as much as those who didn't back then.

All we have to do is out live the others.

The fact that Cannabis may reduce blood glucose levels in some individuals is HUGE !!

That is because Type II Diabetes is a strong predictor for Alzheimer's !!!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1215243,00.html

Once the rapidly increasing boomer set comes to recognize this connection, the pressure for legalization of MJ will be tremendous !!!

We need to get statistics re the frequency of individuals whose blood glucose levels are reduced via MMJ.

My earlier survey showed that individuals using MMJ to reduce pain reported a 70-80 percent reduction in opiate usage.

I will try to get these statistics by opening another page on this specific topic.

Dr. Jinx

It probably has a larger impact on type 2 than type 1.

But it has been shown to have impact on type 1 also.

You are right about smoking a joint to target diabetes. It doesn't work very well.

May I suggest you take a look at this list. There is a section about diabetes in it. Down a couple of pages.

If the truth won't do, there's something wrong

And different people react to different medicines differently. You have your body and I've got mine.

In lab rat tests with type one diabetic mice, they found a positive effect in about 85$ of the rats. It would be nice if the government would get out of the way of the human testing.

awesome info thank you. i know it has positive affects on my self but i know theirs no way smoking a joint will drop my blood sugar from 250 to 200.... but it will make the muscle and joint pain go away. Aswel as alowing me to calm down well my sugar gets back to normal level's High bloodsugar usly makes me really edgy and pissy.

awesome info thank you. i know it has positive affects on my self but i know theirs no way smoking a joint will drop my blood sugar from 250 to 200.... but it will make the muscle and joint pain go away. Aswel as alowing me to calm down well my sugar gets back to normal level's High bloodsugar usly makes me really edgy and pissy.

Hi Vial !!!

I am glad to see that you have posted re some of the impact MMJ is having on your Blood Glucose !

Would you do me a BIG FAVOR and please go to my Blood Glucose Survey and see what you could fill in ?

I am trying to get some Survey Statistics and your contribution will be a big help.

Many thanks,

dr. jinx

Archived