City Water

MrShpongle

I've been having a spirited discussion amongst several dirt growers about water preparation. We are all using tap water supplied by the City of Detroit, which is known for having some of the cleanest "treated" water in the country (not saying that this good for plants, though). Besides having to use pH down to get it from 7.8 down into the upper 6's, we disagree on methods for chlorine removal. He keeps a bubbler going constantly to evaporate the Cl, where I've used the various products from the aquarium store that lock up or eliminate chlorine/chloramine. He contends that those products either don't work or leave residue in the water. At 1 drop per gallon, I find that unlikely. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.

I have since the start of the liquid water season (spring) collected at most 1,100 gallons that are in reserve barrels that I use on my outdoor garden.

I use four 275 gallon plastic barrels connected in series, filtered (large particle screen) and plumbed to a 25 foot hose.

I have never checked the pH of the water, it is green from algae

I let a friend use a 55 gallon plastic drum for his garden, he didn't like it... too many skeeters breeding in it.

Anywho, in the winter I let a barrel of water sit around for a week before I use any city water out of it, no boiling involved or real filtering (RO/micro filament) just natural evaporation.

in my first attempt at cloning, i used straight tap water (detroit water) without removing the chlorine, and all my clones died within the first week. i've got the second batch going with distilled water. next batch i'm gonna let it sit for at least 24hrs and see what happens then.

still in the learning curve, but having fun all the way.

• 1 month later...

in my first attempt at cloning, i used straight tap water (detroit water) without removing the chlorine, and all my clones died within the first week. i've got the second batch going with distilled water. next batch i'm gonna let it sit for at least 24hrs and see what happens then.

I also have a large learning curve on the cloning . Nice to hear im not the only one. Keep on keeping on Right? Thanks for sharing :notfair:

Look up and build and "Aero" cloner and not worry again.. As long as I don't forget to plug the pump in (my biggest issue with cloneing from what I've found :o ) I get 90+% clone rate in 5-15 days..

I've also been transplanting from the Aero cloner (hydro) to soil with great results.. I even transplant in the 2" basket and neoprene rings.. lol.. The roots EXPLODE when they hit soil..

• 2 months later...

Archived