Start With Seeds...or Clones?

Guest drcanna-pest

Guest drcanna-pest

I have been talking to some very respected growers who have been starting their crops from seed. They veg for a while and flower them out as usual...taking out the males. Some of them have just ordered feminized seeds (which I've done with 1 seed and have over 100 clones year-to-date :o)- but they claim using just the "mother" and not cloning it and just growing from seeds gives them a bigger yield and more potent buds.

I have always at least grown out the seed - found out if it was female- take a clone and make a mother - and just always used clones. I have been thinking about ordering a 10-pack of feminized "Canna-tonic" or "making whoopee Incredible" and just growing and flowering from seed (i will take a clone or 2)

Is there anyone out there doing this and what do you think about the difference?!?!?!?!

Guest drcanna-pest

I would think that growing from seed takes longer than just rooting some clones? I am tempted to at least experiment...I used to go "johnny potseed" when I was younger and just spread them outdoors and go back in the fall. I always got something back...but times have really changed and I really developed as a grower. DOES ANYONE GROW FROM SEED AT ALL? It just doesn't seem economical...

i have been growing from seed for a while.

i have found that while the difference may be minimal to most - plants grown from seed always produce slightly better yields, and quality, overall. for whatever reason it just seems that plants grown from seed end up healthier. you just have to wait about a month more per harvest.

i guess you have to ask yourself: do you want 3-4 big harvests a year? or "perpetual" harvests of lesser amounts.

Guest drcanna-pest

i have found that while the difference may be minimal to most - plants grown from seed always produce slightly better yields, and quality, overall. for whatever reason it just seems that plants grown from seed end up healthier. you just have to wait about a month more per harvest.

i guess you have to ask yourself: do you want 3-4 big harvests a year? or "perpetual" harvests of lesser amounts.

so you think the yield and potency are a little better too huh? I think your right on. would you want 3-4 big harvest or a perpetual harvest. It doesn't hurt to try it out. I bought one seed before. The super lemon haze feminized. We got over 100 clones so far from the original mother...after that we flowered her. Wonderful medicine. It definitely won't hurt to order some seeds again...

Guest drcanna-pest

Yield doesn't have much to do with whether you start from seed or clone. It is determined mostly by genetics and how much time one gives to veg stage. A clone doesn't make the plant inferior. My .02

I definitely agree with the veg time. I always tell my dad to grow his plants bigger..hahaha

But yes genetics will always play a part.

Yield doesn't have much to do with whether you start from seed or clone. It is determined mostly by genetics and how much time one gives to veg stage. A clone doesn't make the plant inferior. My .02

I 100% agree

I started off with seed but finally found someone i trust who can provide nice pest free clones and i have grown entire harvests from both seeds and clones from plants from these seeds and i saw no real drastic drop off in quanity from the clones .

Guest drcanna-pest

I've always liked the fact of when I get my clones from my father (the best cannabis grower I have ever known) I get them when they are about 6 inches tall and fully rooted with nice white healthy roots. Pest free and very healthy. For me waiting is the hardest part so this always gives me a jump start...

Also finding out half of the seeds you sprout are males pisses me off. I don't breed anymore...we have the right strains for our ailments...so males have no place in my room. Also - some seeds when ordered do not sprout so its a waste of money...

I recently found a seed in a bag of great smoke. I did't know the strain though. So I germinated for about 5 days, dropped it in rockwool and then the cloner.

It sprouted fairly quick....about 2 days. It's a tiny little thing right now. I'm going to veg it for a bit once it gets larger. It's no hassle at all, because I found the seed! LOL Just keeping my fingers crossed it's a female. Let's see if I can go 1-1 on starting from seeds. =D

Guest drcanna-pest

I recently found a seed in a bag of great smoke. I did't know the strain though. So I germinated for about 5 days, dropped it in rockwool and then the cloner.

It sprouted fairly quick....about 2 days. It's a tiny little thing right now. I'm going to veg it for a bit once it gets larger. It's no hassle at all, because I found the seed! LOL Just keeping my fingers crossed it's a female. Let's see if I can go 1-1 on starting from seeds. =D

Good luck my friend! And that leads me to another question...is that seed that strain? (in any case like this) Maybe because it was a hermie...or maybe a special blend because it mixed with a diff male strain? i have sprouted seeds from bags of great smoke but always wondered this...what do you think?

Good luck my friend! And that leads me to another question...is that seed that strain? (in any case like this) Maybe because it was a hermie...or maybe a special blend because it mixed with a diff male strain? i have sprouted seeds from bags of great smoke but always wondered this...what do you think?

I'm pretty new to growing, so I'm not even aware of the issues you are raising. LOL (Sorry)

I'm using clones now and I've got some new clones rooting. I just put the seed in with the other clones. Just kind of experimenting and learning as I go. I've determined I'm a quick study! =D (with a bunny muffin grin on my face). BubbleGrower has taught me about 85% of what I've learned thus far.

I thought I'd give it a whirl to get another strain going and check out the seedling process.

Check out the link below if you'd like.

Guest drcanna-pest

Nice...I like all the pics and info. I will keep reading. I like the 'mutating leaf' look myself. It is cause by light stress. If they were under CFL or T5 for instance and you move them to a MH to veg it causes leaf mutation. Which is a good thing...it creates new nodes and bushy growth. Looks like your doing a fine job!

Thanks! I wanted to put something informative together in case people don't find BubbleGrower's stuff. =D

Is that what it is? Light stress? I thought it had to do with having a higher ph level early in the growth. Just learned something.

Could it have been from high temperatures in the room and not necessarily from being too close to the light? Because the other two strains tower over the Lemon Cakes and look beautiful.

I've only been using a 600 watt HPS light. I couldn't get the MH, CFL, or T5 light at the time.

For this grow, I'm going to use the HPS for the whole process, but I am definitely going to pick up a MH bulb to Veg. for the next one. From what I read, it makes a pretty big difference.

Guest drcanna-pest

Thanks! I wanted to put something informative together in case people don't find BubbleGrower's stuff. =D

Is that what it is? Light stress? I thought it had to do with having a higher ph level early in the growth. Just learned something.

Could it have been from high temperatures in the room and not necessarily from being too close to the light? Because the other two strains tower over the Lemon Cakes and look beautiful.

I've only been using a 600 watt HPS light. I couldn't get the MH, CFL, or T5 light at the time.

For this grow, I'm going to use the HPS for the whole process, but I am definitely going to pick up a MH bulb for the next one. From what I read, it makes a pretty big difference.

I really think if you are going to get a new light to veg to go with a T5. lower heat, lower electricity. but above all it really does work better for veg growth than anything i've seen. more compact leaf to node ratio and very fast growth. hopefully bubblegrower or someone else will back me up on this.

I really think if you are going to get a new light to veg to go with a T5. lower heat, lower electricity. but above all it really does work better for veg growth than anything i've seen. more compact leaf to node ratio and very fast growth. hopefully bubblegrower or someone else will back me up on this.

Yeah I would like to know that answer too. So, you can use the T5 for 4 or 5 weeks of veg and then switch over to HPS?

I was just thinking it would be less expensive just to buy a MH bulb rather than a whole T5 Fixture. Maybe someone can help out in the dicussion?

As to weather seed or clone is better the only real difference is a plant from seed has a main tap root.

Clones only have roots the grow out the side of the stem so they do grow quite as fast and vigorously as a plant with a tap root

Now having said that as the plants get older and older the gap between them seems to get smaller.

Just mho

I have been talking to some very respected growers who have been starting their crops from seed. They veg for a while and flower them out as usual...taking out the males. Some of them have just ordered feminized seeds (which I've done with 1 seed and have over 100 clones year-to-date :o)- but they claim using just the "mother" and not cloning it and just growing from seeds gives them a bigger yield and more potent buds.

I have always at least grown out the seed - found out if it was female- take a clone and make a mother - and just always used clones. I have been thinking about ordering a 10-pack of feminized "Canna-tonic" or "making whoopee Incredible" and just growing and flowering from seed (i will take a clone or 2)

Is there anyone out there doing this and what do you think about the difference?!?!?!?!

I do both seeds and clones. I can tell you that a plant from seed may produce more than the same plant as a clone but max potency will come later when the clone gets about a year old.

Seeds plants usually stretch more and grow a little more vigorously than the cloned version.

I would think that growing from seed takes longer than just rooting some clones? I am tempted to at least experiment...I used to go "johnny potseed" when I was younger and just spread them outdoors and go back in the fall. I always got something back...but times have really changed and I really developed as a grower. DOES ANYONE GROW FROM SEED AT ALL? It just doesn't seem economical...

If you are growing the right variety the plant can be sexed from 3-5 weeks or after the 9th set of leaves have almost matured. This is called preflowering and there is a link in my signature for more info on the subject.

This is another reason I like Apollo13 so much. I can go from seed to harvest in less than 90 days.

The most impractical thing about using seeds is culling the males. I personally enjoy starting seeds, especially ones I made myself. There's always that chance of finding the next great one.

As to weather seed or clone is better the only real difference is a plant from seed has a main tap root.

Clones only have roots the grow out the side of the stem so they do grow quite as fast and vigorously as a plant with a tap root

Now having said that as the plants get older and older the gap between them seems to get smaller.

Just mho

+ for you! You just taught me something new. I hadn't found that information yet. Thanks!

I use a T5 for my mothers to veg and to make clones, once my clones grow roots I put them under 1000 Mh and veg for a week then I switch over to 1000 Hps for 12/12. Running The T5 is not expensive I would recommend this for veg and cloning.

Do you have 3 separate light fixtures or do you just switch the bulbs from MH to HPS in your 1000 watt? It just sounds like 3 fixtures is a lot to me, cause I'm just starting out. Not enough room to make separate veg & flower rooms where I'm at either.

I think I'm going to get a T5 down the road. That way I will be able to make one section of my basement for flowering and the rest of the basement that is open could be for vegging with a T5. It may prove difficult to seal off every bit of light coming from the T5 from the flower area in the 12 hrs of darkness.

I agree that seed plants can produce a little more than clones but I don't agree that clone growers are doomed to lesser yields.

You can also run perpetual grows with seeds, you just have to toss some males or about 50% of your plants. Determining sex in early preflower is the key to kicking out perpetual seed grows as well as growing out varieties that are known to preflower early.

Like IJ said there are many factors to yield outcome. If you are growing a 60 day flowering variety you have 60 days to root and veg a plant big enough to replace the mature 60 day plants. That's plenty time to get a clone large enough to produce well in my grow room.

Sometimes seed plants are too vigorous and it's just better to use a clone right from jump street instead of using the original seed plant. Many sativa growers don't grow out seed plants because clones are a tad less vigorous and tighter noded. They start seeds, take clones, sex then flower the clones. Others put seed plants directly into the flower room when the plants are only 6 inches tall.

Guest drcanna-pest

I use a T5 for my mothers to veg and to make clones, once my clones grow roots I put them under 1000 Mh and veg for a week then I switch over to 1000 Hps for 12/12. Running The T5 is not expensive I would recommend this for veg and cloning.

Def recommend the T5 for clones and veg...also use as a compliment to your HPS flowering system. Best buds yet when I placed the T5 horizontal on the sides of the flowering room = max light penetration

Archived